PDA

View Full Version : State says thanks to 6 Vietnam veterans

thedrifter
08-14-08, 07:44 AM
August 14, 2008
State says thanks to 6 Vietnam veterans

Recipients grateful for recognition for service in unpopular war.

Ashley Wiehle
News-Leader

When Master Sergeant James Mosier came back from his double tours in Vietnam, he was greeted by a frigid reception from people who didn't support the war he was fighting.

"When we got back, the public -- it was just like they were against you," Mosier said. "They were against the war, and you were the bad guy because you were there."

For the U.S. Air Force vet who served from 1971-72 and then returned for the evacuation in 1975, the scorn was hard to take.

"We felt like, I just put it out there over the line," Mosier said, trailing off.

The look on his face spoke volumes: A thank you might have been nice.

That thanks came on Wednesday, when Mosier and five fellow Vietnam War veterans were recognized for their service by the Missouri National Guard in a ceremony at Springfield-Branson National Airport.

Veterans honored were Mosier, Norman Becker, Gary Cyr, Randal Dalton, Bobby Jeffery and James Gandy.

The ceremony was part of the Vietnam War Medallion Program created during the state's 2006 legislative session. The program that gives a medal, medallion and certificate to veterans was modeled after similar World War II and Korean conflict award programs.

National Guard Col. Gary Herchenroeder presented the awards. As the men came up for their recognition, Herchenroeder leaned in close to the veterans and spoke so softly to each that his words couldn't be heard just feet away.

"I was just showing them a more personal appreciation for their service," he explained after the ceremony. "I get very emotional sometimes, especially in their presence sometimes. I just like to maintain my emotion as much as I can."

Herchenroeder said national sentiment over the Vietnam War is changing and that many who once decried the war are now showing their appreciation for those who served regardless of political popularity.

"Without question, Vietnam was not a popular war for the American public, for the politicians and especially not for those who placed their mortality on the line by risking their lives as American soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines," Herchenroeder said.

Mosier and his fellow veterans said they were grateful to be recognized for their part in the controversial conflict.

"It was pretty neat," Mosier said. "It's been a lot of years."

Ellie