PDA

View Full Version : Meeting on Marines' access to Wilmington bars called a success

thedrifter
08-14-08, 07:31 AM
Meeting on Marines' access to Wilmington bars called a success

By Sam Scott
Staff Writer

Published: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 9:30 p.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 11:13 p.m.
They didn't agree to a lot. But everybody who spoke Tuesday about concerns that Wilmington bars discriminate against Marines was of one mind when it comes to state laws requiring bars that serve liquor to operate as members-only clubs.

"It's the stupidest law I've ever seen in my life," Wilmington Police Chief Ralph Evangelous said.

Bar owners long have blamed the law for forcing them to deny Marines and other outsiders such as tourists. And at Tuesday's meeting, which drew state, local and military leaders, they had good company. Even a lawyer for the N.C. Alcohol Beverage Commission agreed that the three-day waiting period for granting memberships was "ripe for change."

Things got more heated, however, when talk turned to other reasons Marines were being turned away.

Councilman Jason Thompson, a former Marine, accused bars of using the state rules as an excuse. Bouncers ask for memberships from those with high-and-tight haircuts while letting others sail through, he said. He blamed false ideas that Marines are brawlers.

"Quit hiding behind the three-day rule," Thompson said. "It aggravates me tremendously."

One bar owner, who declined to give his name, countered that bars have legitimate fears about Marines, who often travel in packs, ganging up on anyone who fights with one of them.

"It's scary," the man said.

Anthony Lawson said he's seen why Marines have a fearsome reputation in his time as a bouncer, bartender and now a DJ.

Marines in a group take on a unit mentality that only increases when alcohol is involved, he said. When a fight breaks out, they're impossible to get out of a bar, said Lawson, the son of a retired Marine lieutenant colonel.

Wilmington police say Marines do not account for a disproportionate number of arrests, though Evangelous said many bars resist calling police to avoid marks on their records.

Still the action of a few is no excuse to discriminate against a whole class of people, said Kevin Nicholson, a Marine officer. Nicholson got national headlines last month when he complained to Fox News about being turned away from Wilmington bars. Nobody would tolerate bars discriminating by race or ethnic group, he said.

"I don't expect special treatment," Nicholson said. "I expect equal treatment."

Sgt. Major Ralph Drake, the top-ranking non-commissioned officer for seven East Coast Marine bases, said Marines are held to a higher standard than civilians.

A Marine can face major disciplinary issues for bad behavior even if it doesn't rise to the level of a crime, he said, urging bar owners to communicate with base officials.

Meeting organizer John Hinnant, executive director of Wilmington Downtown Inc., called the meeting a success. It opened lines of communication between the city and the Marines, he said. A Camp Lejeune liaison now will attend regular meetings of bar owners and the county's military affairs commission.

The meeting also was a step in establishing a coalition to dismantle the state's membership rules for bars, Hinnant said.

"This would remove the cloak or the screen that these bars use as a means to discriminate."

Sam Scott: 343-2370

sam.scott@starnewsonline.com

Ellie