PDA

View Full Version : "Tell that to the Marines!"

bonnjanry
08-13-08, 06:42 PM
Hello Marines,

I've heard this expression a lot of times but I'm still not sure whether it is an insult or a compliment to Marines. Can you guys clear it up for me?

Thanks

Big Jim
08-13-08, 06:49 PM
Hello Marines,

I've heard this expression a lot of times but I'm still not sure whether it is an insult or a compliment to Marines. Can you guys clear it up for me?

Thanks

Origin
The US Marine Corps are probably the best-known marines these days and this American-sounding phrase is often thought to refer to them. This isn't an American phrase though and, although it has been known there since the 1830s, it originated in the UK and the marines in question were the Royal Marines.
The first marines were The Duke of York and Albany's Maritime Regiment of Foot, formed in 1664, in the reign of Charles II. They were soldiers who had been enlisted and trained to serve on board ships. The recruits were considered green and not on a par with hardened sailors, hence the implication that marines were naive enough to believe ridiculous tales, but that sailors weren't. Such a tall tale is often quoted as the source of this phrase. It is said King Charles II made a remark to Samuel Pepys in which he mocked the marines' credulity in their belief in flying fishes. That's a nice story, but it has been shown to be a hoax that was perpetrated in the 1900s by the novelist W. P. Drury - a retired Lieutenant Colonel of the Royal Marines.
Most of the early citations give a fuller version of the phrase - "You may tell that to the marines, but the sailors will not believe it". This earliest reference I can find to it that uses the short version that is used today comes from the transcription of a journal that was written by John Marshall Deane, a private in the Foot Guards. His journal was written in 1708 and was transcribed and printed in 1846, under the title of A Journal of the Campaign in Flanders. The preface, which was the work of the transcriber rather than Deane and so must be dated as 1846 rather than 1708, includes this:

[The commanding officer] if a soldier complained to him of hardships which he could not comprehend, would be very likely to recommend him to "tell it to the marines"!
The longer version of the phrase is found earlier, in John Davis's The Post-Captain, or, The wooden walls well manned comprehending a view of naval society and manners, 1804:

"He may tell that to the Marines, but the sailors will not believe him."
ANSWER YOUR QUESTION YOUNGIN...?

bonnjanry
08-13-08, 07:15 PM
Yes sir, and thank you for clearing it up!

Big Jim
08-13-08, 07:22 PM
Yes sir, and thank you for clearing it up!

ARE YOU SURE?? THERE'S A SORT OF "HIDDEN" MEANING IN THERE...IT MEANS THAT THE SOLDIERS AND SAILORS WHO HAVE MORE AMENITIES TO DEAL WITH LIFE IN THE FIELD, IN COMBAT, IN TRAINING DON'T HAVE IT AS BAD AS THE MARINES DO.

IN OTHER WORDS, MARINES CAN DO ALMOST ANYTHING WITH NEXT TO NOTHING...AND NOBODY CAN COMPARE WITH WHAT WE GO THROUGH IN OUR EVERYDAY LIVES. WHY, YOU ASK? BECAUSE MARINES CAN HANDLE IT...MARINES CAN HANDLE ANYTHING THROWN, DROPPED, LOBBED OR SHOT AT THEM...ITS WHAT WE DO AND WHO WE ARE...THATS WHAT IT MEANS, SON...TO BE A MARINE....DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES...?

Sgt Baker
08-13-08, 07:31 PM
ARE YOU SURE?? THERE'S A SORT OF "HIDDEN" MEANING IN THERE...IT MEANS THAT THE SOLDIERS AND SAILORS WHO HAVE MORE AMENITIES TO DEAL WITH LIFE IN THE FIELD, IN COMBAT, IN TRAINING DON'T HAVE IT AS BAD AS THE MARINES DO.

IN OTHER WORDS, MARINES CAN DO ALMOST ANYTHING WITH NEXT TO NOTHING...AND NOBODY CAN COMPARE WITH WHAT WE GO THROUGH IN OUR EVERYDAY LIVES. WHY, YOU ASK? BECAUSE MARINES CAN HANDLE IT...MARINES CAN HANDLE ANYTHING THROWN, DROPPED, LOBBED OR SHOT AT THEM...ITS WHAT WE DO AND WHO WE ARE...THATS WHAT IT MEANS, SON...TO BE A MARINE....DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES...?

Ooh Rah Big Jim! I can vouch for that!

maverickmarine
08-14-08, 07:58 AM
Well, that's good information. I actually thought it came following the attack on Pearl Harbor from FDR's Day of Infamy speech.

Also, Semper Fi on your follow up comments!

sparkie
08-14-08, 08:02 AM
http://members.aol.com/ChaneyFan2/l_marines.jpg

sparkie
08-14-08, 08:08 AM
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Tell-That-to-the-Marines-Giclee-Print-C10106861.jpeg

bonnjanry
08-14-08, 01:53 PM

Yes sir!