View Full Version : Slain Jefferson grad ‘was proud to be a Marine’

thedrifter
08-13-08, 08:04 AM
Slain Jefferson grad ‘was proud to be a Marine’

RRSTAR.COM STAFF REPORTS
Posted Aug 12, 2008 @ 04:32 PM
Last update Aug 12, 2008 @ 04:55 PM
ROCKFORD —

Cpl. Adam McKiski, who volunteered for the Marines shortly after graduating Jefferson High School, died fighting for a cause he believed in, his family said this afternoon.

McKiski “always wanted to be in the military,” according to a statement his family released today, thanking the community for its concern and compassion.

“He volunteered to serve his country, well aware of the high risk he was taking because he believed the cause was right and worth the fight,” the statement said.

McKiski, 21, died Aug. 7 in a military vehicle accident outside Fallujah, Iraq. He was a 2005 Jefferson graduate and a three-year Marine on his second tour of duty in Iraq.

McKiski’s death came two days after he and his wife, Jamie, his high school sweetheart, celebrated their second wedding anniversary, and two weeks before McKiski was to return on leave to the Marine Corps Base Camp in Pendleton, Calif., where Adam and Jamie resided.

His second Iraq tour would have ended in July 2009.

“He was proud to be a Marine,” the family statement said. “His memory should serve as a reminder of the sacrifices that some of the best young men and women in America have made for their country.”

Funeral arrangements are still pending. The family has directed questions to Fitzgerald Funeral Home, 815-226-2273.

Ellie

thedrifter
08-13-08, 09:16 AM
chicagotribune.com
Rockford-area Marine killed in Iraq 'felt it an honor to protect us'
Cherry Valley native was known for his computer skill at Jefferson High

By Kristen Kridel

Chicago Tribune reporter

10:56 PM CDT, August 12, 2008

Even in middle school, Cpl. Adam T. McKiski knew he wanted to be a U.S. Marine like his grandfathers, friends said Tuesday.

"I can't remember ever knowing Adam and him not wanting to be in the Marines," said Collin Whitchurch, a friend since childhood. "He never wavered."

McKiski, 21, of Cherry Valley, near Rockford, died Thursday in a mine-resistant armor-protected vehicle accident while supporting combat operations in the Anbar province of Iraq, according to the U.S. Department of Defense and Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.

He worked as a towed artillery systems technician assigned to the 1st Maintenance Battalion, 1st Marine Logistics Group, I Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Pendleton, Calif.

McKiski's death came two days after his second wedding anniversary and a few weeks before he was scheduled to return home on leave, said Barbara "Babs" Erickson, a retired publications adviser at Rockford's Jefferson High School who had taught McKiski for four years. She said his wife, Jamie, was his high school sweetheart.

McKiski enlisted in the Marines on Oct. 22, 2004, about six months before graduating from Jefferson.

He was on his second tour of duty when he was killed, Erickson said.

"He was the kind of young man that we want fighting for us because he felt it an honor to protect us," said Erickson, who watched McKiski grow up as a neighbor. "He had a real strong sense of what was right and just."

For three years in high school, McKiski was Erickson's computer coordinator, keeping the 35-computer lab running for her journalism based courses.

"He was very computer literate and knew way more than I did," she said. "That's why he was so instrumental in keeping that whole lab running. He was usually the most popular guy in the classroom, especially at deadline time when there would be computer glitches."

In the Marines, he was awarded the Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, according to the Marine Corps.

Funeral arrangements were pending.

Family members released a written statement, saying McKiski was well aware of the risk he took by joining the military.

"He was a patriot and a hero," the statement read. "Adam will be greatly missed by all who knew him, and his memory should serve as a reminder of the sacrifices that some of the best young men and women in America have made for their country."

kkridel@tribune.com

Ellie

rb1651
08-13-08, 02:01 PM
I knew Adam from when he was in high school. My son had brought him over to the house on several occasions. He was a fine young man, and my son and I will definitely miss him. His service is sceduled for Saturday, August 16th at 11:30 am, in Our Savior's Lutheran Church. His burial will be private. Anyone wishing to extend condolences to this Marine's family family can go to www.fitzgeraldfuneralhome.com. Brett and I will be attending his services and funeral.

God Bless you, Marine. You will be missed. :cry: :flag: