PDA

View Full Version : Next tuesday's the day!

PhantomLord
08-12-08, 02:52 PM
Well, i just set up the meeting for next Tuesday (19th) for me to get enlisted into the DEP, etc. The ball will soon be rolling for me. I'm having to bring my parents along though. It's more to pacify them more then anything. They would much rather me go to college then the Corps so hopefully them being apart of the first steps will help calm their nerves and make them feel a little better about it. Plus, they are both hell bent on thinking the Corps is going to try and screw me over anyway they can.

TangoDown
08-12-08, 03:59 PM
Good luck man! My parents are the same way. Of course parents are parents. They never want to see their children go away to the service. But without people like us wanting to join, where would America be? You will be in my prayers man along with every marine. Also, deep inside, your parents are smiling and more proud than ever.

MontySpecial
08-12-08, 04:36 PM
Awesome, glad to hear it! Even at 19 my parents were still surprised I wanted to join. Enjoy all of the paper work!

PhantomLord
08-12-08, 04:58 PM
Ya, I went through a year of back and forth between the corps and art college. About 5 months ago I finally made the decision to join the brotherhood. my parents dont want to see me put my life in danger but they are equally as proud.

BR34
08-12-08, 05:10 PM
Damn man, you taking your parents with you? That takes a lot of...something.

Good luck, hopefully you don't come across any roadblocks at MEPS.

ecfree
08-12-08, 05:14 PM
Good luck Justin,time to work your butt off is just around the corner....:marine:
In a little while,we can call you brother.

Time to square away and get focused.

PhantomLord
08-12-08, 05:17 PM
Damn man, you taking your parents with you? That takes a lot of...something.

Good luck, hopefully you don't come across any roadblocks at MEPS.

Ya, i would rather not. Its something that concerns MY future thats MY decision thats MY responsibility so i would have liked to have done it by myself. But if its going to make my parents a little less terrified and a little more happy for me then so be it. I already told them that I was going to do this with or without their help, even if i had to run my own ass up to the recruiter. The biggest thing that worries me is how much they think recruiting is such a bad thing. They feel as if the Marine corps is going to try and screw me over by trying to reel me into DEP and make me feel like I HAVE to do this or that. I told my step dad last night i said "Look, Im joining and thats that. So what, they want to get me into DEP. So what they want me to be apart of the poolee trainin on wednesdays. Those things are there for a reason. Not to make me feel like Im chained to this path now but to give me a better chance and to protect the Corps from losers who got lost on the way to college. I want to join. I want to be in DEP. I want to train with the recruiters and poolee's. I don't see it as a chain to the ground, I see it as an opportunity to further my chances at attaining my ultimat goal." and I left it at that. About 3 hours later he came to me and said, "set up a date and time. We'll be there."

PhantomLord
08-12-08, 05:20 PM
Good luck Justin,time to work your butt off is just around the corner....:marine:
In a little while,we can call you brother.

Time to square away and get focused.

Thank you PFC. I'm prepared as much as I can be for this. All thats left is to jump in the fire.

I feel like a 6 year old waiting for santa to come, while waiting to earn my right as a Marine.

MontySpecial
08-12-08, 05:22 PM
Ya, I went through a year of back and forth between the corps and art college. About 5 months ago I finally made the decision to join the brotherhood. my parents dont want to see me put my life in danger but they are equally as proud.

of course to deter the "don't want to see me put my life in danger" you could easily tell them the disaster stories of....driving a car.

Getting up to the Recruiting Office is no friendly picnic!

Just don't forget, you can still further your education while in the Marines. You have to be strong physically, mentally, and emotionally to succeed! Another thing, if you want a job out of the Marines, it looks d*mn sexy on a resume!

PhantomLord
08-12-08, 05:30 PM
of course to deter the "don't want to see me put my life in danger" you could easily tell them the disaster stories of....driving a car.

Getting up to the Recruiting Office is no friendly picnic!

Just don't forget, you can still further your education while in the Marines. You have to be strong physically, mentally, and emotionally to succeed! Another thing, if you want a job out of the Marines, it looks d*mn sexy on a resume!

Ya I gave them the who "car" theory. I told them I would much rather have the chance of dying for my country then dying for some old ladies accident.

The Marine Corps has SSOOOO much to offer I can't possibly imagine not picking this over college. The Corps is for me, and I'm for the Corps.:iwo:

Do-Or-Die
08-12-08, 10:24 PM
Well, i just set up the meeting for next Tuesday (19th) for me to get enlisted into the DEP, etc. The ball will soon be rolling for me. I'm having to bring my parents along though. It's more to pacify them more then anything. They would much rather me go to college then the Corps so hopefully them being apart of the first steps will help calm their nerves and make them feel a little better about it. Plus, they are both hell bent on thinking the Corps is going to try and screw me over anyway they can.

Good luck man, and to your parents, who will be in the waiting room for hours. I was lucky to have a Marine as a father who full-heartedly supported my choice. I also hope you dont hit any of those roadblocks, I had to be there for an extra 2 hours because I didn't have my parents divorce papers, didn't think it mattered.
Congrats man, let me know ASAP when your shipdate is when you get back.

PhantomLord
08-12-08, 10:26 PM
I will certainly post my ship date as soon as I find out. thanks for the good wishes.

TSULLI
08-13-08, 12:57 AM
Congrats Phantom. I just DEPed in last monday. Its a great feeling. I hope everything goes smoothly for you at MEPS. It didnt go so smoothly for me, its a lot of sitting and waiting. It was for me anyway since I go to the L.A. MEPS. Anyway good luck and keep us posted.