PDA

View Full Version : Don't have the MOS you want?...

bgsuwoody
08-12-08, 11:41 AM
So they don't have the MOS you want? There are no open spots? I think I have said this many times, but I just wanted to see how many so let me show you how many ways I said it.

"Am I really saying this again. Damn. If you want a certain MOS in the Marine Corps you have to do two things...

Don't take no for an answer!
and...
Be Patient and Wait!

Of course no 17-18 year old can wait for what he wants especially in this new internet world. Go through my posts and read how many times I have said something on this. You can almost always get the job you want if you can hold out for it. Just do not ship until you get the job you want. PERIOD.

It worked for me and I couldn't be happier being an infantry Marine. I don't know how many PM's I have in my box saying thank you, or times in chat I have been told thank you for the advice because I got the job I wanted and it wasn't that hard. Just pressure the recruiter. Believe me he wants you to go to bootcamp as much as you want to go. Just dont take "there's no open spots for an answer." All the new spots will open up in October if all else fails and you should at least have an easier chance."
Holy ****, the same thing I see everyday. If you got time left in the DEP, grab your balls and say "I'M NOT GOING UNTIL I GET THE SPOT I WANT" You'll be surprised what they can do, but you give in for second best or not your option they might as well and save the other spots when they have to use them. Don't take no for an answer.
Can Anyone Say...wait Until October...new Fiscal Year Starts And All The New Jobs Open Up. Yup I Have To Say It Again!!!!
Here's the problem with that statement. With the Marine Corps comes a lot of circumstances, hardships, and on occassion even some fun. However, like I have said a million times and will obviously continue to say it is that this job will be hell if you do it for 4 years (cause you aren't getting out of this contract man) if you don't do EXACTLY what you want to do. Therefore, I would wait it out, make a decision on what you want to do with life, because once you hit the fleet and especially once you start to actually do this job you will find that having the time to plan out and make decisions will be next to none. Most of the **** will be done on the fly and you abilities will be crucial to your understanding of the job and your experience doing it.

Take your time and decide what YOU want. Don't let anyone here make the decision for you...so stop wasting your time on polls. You need to start now making decisions on your own. Its your life. Don't let money sway you because you'll have it spent in a Jacksonville titty club or auto sales before you can collect your first interest payment. Don't let time make your decision, because no matter what you do, it still keeps moving. Decide on your own and in time the decision will come.
I am almost positive that they have extended the Delayed Entry Program's max time to be in it as well. Here's what you can do, get out of the DEP, and then tell the recruiter you will go to MEPS/bootcamp etc. immediately when he finds you a new job, believe me they can't lose you. Grow some damn balls and get what you want. They are men too, just say what you need and get it. Don't take no for an answer, you both have something to lose here
Another ****ing Open Contract question...God this is ridiculous. I mean you prob will go Motor T right now...I wont lie. Your job however is to search open contract or my posts and find every warning about open contract and you will have an idea about my disdain for this option. Can't you wait until October...I know you'll be able to get whatever job even with "moral" waivers...whatever that garbage is
One with some commentary...Actually someone else saying the same thing http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65908 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65908)
I'LL SAY IT AGAIN. YOU ARE SIGNING A CONTRACT. THE JOB IS ALREADY HARD ENOUGH TO NOT BE ABLE TO SAY IT IS SOMETHING YOU LOSE OR AT LEAST TO SAY WELL AT LEAST I CHOSE IT WHAT CAN I ***** ABOUT. GET WHAT YOU WANT, OR WAIT TO GET WHAT YOU WANT...YOU WILL GET IT, BUT MAYBE NOT WITHOUT PATIENCE....ANOTHER KEY THING YOU'LL TAKE WITH YOU AFTER THE MARINE CORPS
I have said it time and time again to many friends and Marines. HEAD THIS WARNING: DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT UNTIL YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT. TELL THE RECRUITER NO...BELIEVE ME IT MAY TAKE A MONTH OR TWO, BUT YOU'LL GET WHAT YOU WANT...SPOTS WILL OPEN IN OCTOBER...PERIOD!!!! YOU WILL REGRET IT, I KNOW MANY FRIENDS WHO DO. Get everything you want, its your life and its already tough enough to not be able to say at least ****...I chose this ****.
As I Tell Every Poolee And It Has Worked As It Did For Me...

1. Dont Take No For An Answer
2. Dont Sign The Contract Until You Get Exactly What You Want
3. Dont Leave If They Want To Change Your Contract.

You Listen To These 3 Things And Your Marine Corps Career Will Be Everything You Want It To Be.

I would recommend actually being a pest. A very professional and polite pest. There is spots open, and eventually your recruiter will need to make his numbers. I would start working on going in there every few days and asking if there was a spot open. Continue to do it until its easier for him to get you in instead of ignore you. Otherwise start talking to other recruiters in the vicinity. This week on RA we put in somebody from Ft. Wayne who had been getting screwed over by his recruiters and we just had to do extra paperwork and get a doctors ok. Ft. Wayne is almost 3 hours away, but my recruiter will do anything for someone wanting to earn the title. Try it, you'll be suprised, you'll probably get in.

You probably haven't been talked to because you haven't made enough effort to be the guy at the TOP of the list. You have to show that you want it, just waiting around isn't going to do you anything...

Patience Young Grasshoper. This is the key. I know everyone wants to rush into the Marine Corps and get it started, but if you can wait and you can just demand the job you want, you will get it. I figured I would compile these. I know there are many poolees here who have heeded this creedo and they have gotten what they wanted. I've been personally thanked and thats just how it works. This is why we are here. To advise and pass on our knowledge. Believe me the life will be bad enough to not have a job you want.

gobuffs10
08-12-08, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the tips LCpl. Woodall. The Marines at MEPS were trying to get me to go in September and do NBC or something. I told them thank you, but I will wait until October for my infantry slot. I'm lucky my recruiter bothered to tell me to wait til October.

He told me all the same things you did because he said they will try to get me to take something else again when I ship.

slimmy07
08-12-08, 12:59 PM
So they don't have the MOS you want? There are no open spots? I think I have said this many times, but I just wanted to see how many so let me show you how many ways I said it.

"Am I really saying this again. Damn. If you want a certain MOS in the Marine Corps you have to do two things...

and...
Be Patient and Wait!

Of course no 17-18 year old can wait for what he wants especially in this new internet world. Go through my posts and read how many times I have said something on this. You can almost always get the job you want if you can hold out for it. Just do not ship until you get the job you want. PERIOD.

It worked for me and I couldn't be happier being an infantry Marine. I don't know how many PM's I have in my box saying thank you, or times in chat I have been told thank you for the advice because I got the job I wanted and it wasn't that hard. Just pressure the recruiter. Believe me he wants you to go to bootcamp as much as you want to go. Just dont take "there's no open spots for an answer." All the new spots will open up in October if all else fails and you should at least have an easier chance."
Holy ****, the same thing I see everyday. If you got time left in the DEP, grab your balls and say "I'M NOT GOING UNTIL I GET THE SPOT I WANT" You'll be surprised what they can do, but you give in for second best or not your option they might as well and save the other spots when they have to use them. Don't take no for an answer.
Can Anyone Say...wait Until October...new Fiscal Year Starts And All The New Jobs Open Up. Yup I Have To Say It Again!!!!
Here's the problem with that statement. With the Marine Corps comes a lot of circumstances, hardships, and on occassion even some fun. However, like I have said a million times and will obviously continue to say it is that this job will be hell if you do it for 4 years (cause you aren't getting out of this contract man) if you don't do EXACTLY what you want to do. Therefore, I would wait it out, make a decision on what you want to do with life, because once you hit the fleet and especially once you start to actually do this job you will find that having the time to plan out and make decisions will be next to none. Most of the **** will be done on the fly and you abilities will be crucial to your understanding of the job and your experience doing it.

Take your time and decide what YOU want. Don't let anyone here make the decision for you...so stop wasting your time on polls. You need to start now making decisions on your own. Its your life. Don't let money sway you because you'll have it spent in a Jacksonville titty club or auto sales before you can collect your first interest payment. Don't let time make your decision, because no matter what you do, it still keeps moving. Decide on your own and in time the decision will come.
I am almost positive that they have extended the Delayed Entry Program's max time to be in it as well. Here's what you can do, get out of the DEP, and then tell the recruiter you will go to MEPS/bootcamp etc. immediately when he finds you a new job, believe me they can't lose you. Grow some damn balls and get what you want. They are men too, just say what you need and get it. Don't take no for an answer, you both have something to lose here
Another ****ing Open Contract question...God this is ridiculous. I mean you prob will go Motor T right now...I wont lie. Your job however is to search open contract or my posts and find every warning about open contract and you will have an idea about my disdain for this option. Can't you wait until October...I know you'll be able to get whatever job even with "moral" waivers...whatever that garbage is
One with some commentary...Actually someone else saying the same thing http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65908 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65908)
I'LL SAY IT AGAIN. YOU ARE SIGNING A CONTRACT. THE JOB IS ALREADY HARD ENOUGH TO NOT BE ABLE TO SAY IT IS SOMETHING YOU LOSE OR AT LEAST TO SAY WELL AT LEAST I CHOSE IT WHAT CAN I ***** ABOUT. GET WHAT YOU WANT, OR WAIT TO GET WHAT YOU WANT...YOU WILL GET IT, BUT MAYBE NOT WITHOUT PATIENCE....ANOTHER KEY THING YOU'LL TAKE WITH YOU AFTER THE MARINE CORPS
I have said it time and time again to many friends and Marines. HEAD THIS WARNING: DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT UNTIL YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT. TELL THE RECRUITER NO...BELIEVE ME IT MAY TAKE A MONTH OR TWO, BUT YOU'LL GET WHAT YOU WANT...SPOTS WILL OPEN IN OCTOBER...PERIOD!!!! YOU WILL REGRET IT, I KNOW MANY FRIENDS WHO DO. Get everything you want, its your life and its already tough enough to not be able to say at least ****...I chose this ****.

You Listen To These 3 Things And Your Marine Corps Career Will Be Everything You Want It To Be.

I would recommend actually being a pest. A very professional and polite pest. There is spots open, and eventually your recruiter will need to make his numbers. I would start working on going in there every few days and asking if there was a spot open. Continue to do it until its easier for him to get you in instead of ignore you. Otherwise start talking to other recruiters in the vicinity. This week on RA we put in somebody from Ft. Wayne who had been getting screwed over by his recruiters and we just had to do extra paperwork and get a doctors ok. Ft. Wayne is almost 3 hours away, but my recruiter will do anything for someone wanting to earn the title. Try it, you'll be suprised, you'll probably get in.

You probably haven't been talked to because you haven't made enough effort to be the guy at the TOP of the list. You have to show that you want it, just waiting around isn't going to do you anything...

Patience Young Grasshoper. This is the key. I know everyone wants to rush into the Marine Corps and get it started, but if you can wait and you can just demand the job you want, you will get it. I figured I would compile these. I know there are many poolees here who have heeded this creedo and they have gotten what they wanted. I've been personally thanked and thats just how it works. This is why we are here. To advise and pass on our knowledge. Believe me the life will be bad enough to not have a job you want.

Some good advice in there. If I can add one thing it would be that you do NOT have to wait till october (when the new fiscal year starts) to get a program. RSSs have the new fiscal year job list in june, YOU JUST HAVE TO SHIP IN OCTOBER OR LATER. So, for example lets say you DEP'd in June, and leave to boot camp in nov. That means you would have a program for FY09. Another example, you DEP in June and want to leave in Sept. you would have to choos a FY08 program, which there probably is not much out there. Bottom line, its not when you enlist that matters as much as when you ship to boot camp.

bgsuwoody
08-12-08, 03:01 PM
Awesome info. I kind of knew that, but not in detail. That really should help a lot of you always asking why you can't get into a certain field or why you are being told to go open contract or like ground contract. Maybe if this good advice is heeded there will be less of these complaints on here, because thats all I see lately. You guys aren't even in yet, you have little to complain about lol

TangoDown
08-12-08, 03:54 PM
Thanks for this. I am now waiting until October. Appreciate the information!

bugeater
08-13-08, 12:05 AM
I am almost positive that they have extended the Delayed Entry Program's max time to be in it as well. Here's what you can do, get out of the DEP, and then tell the recruiter you will go to MEPS/bootcamp etc. immediately when he finds you a new job, believe me they can't lose you.
Can anyone verify this claim? I remember hearing at one point that the DEP max time limit was raised to something like 400 days, but I don't know if that's still the case or not.

CplKJSpevak
08-13-08, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the tips LCpl. Woodall. The Marines at MEPS were trying to get me to go in September and do NBC or something. I told them thank you, but I will wait until October for my infantry slot. I'm lucky my recruiter bothered to tell me to wait til October.

He told me all the same things you did because he said they will try to get me to take something else again when I ship.

Good to go, I seem to remember the NBC Marines in our Unit, Got promoted very quickly, and it is a VERY important job to train your Marine brothers with NBC equipment, masks's and such....But good luck in the infantry:usmc:

slimmy07
08-13-08, 12:21 PM
Can anyone verify this claim? I remember hearing at one point that the DEP max time limit was raised to something like 400 days, but I don't know if that's still the case or not.

No, it is still 365. I think for the Army it is 400 days and that is because they are Dep'ing kids earlier to meet quotas. Also, you cant go to meps/bootcamp on the same day. EVERYONE has to DEP. The only applicants that do not technically DEP are prior service. Once they enlist, they are now back on active duty and usually work at the recruiting station tilkl they get orders.

Quinbo
08-13-08, 12:40 PM
Take a quick read on this thread for anyone interested in the maximum DEP and how it works.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50221

My take on it is that it could be as many as 545 days.

jeffsnff89
08-14-08, 09:47 AM
I have a question, some people said that they can change your MOS while in boot camp, can they do this? I know they can change it prior to boot camp and if they did I really don't care I rather be a Marine, MOS isn't that important to me but I am wondering. Thank you.

CplKJSpevak
08-14-08, 10:02 AM
I rather be a Marine, MOS isn't that important to me but I am wondering. Thank you.
:flag: Wow, Finally someone gets it:usmc:

Mission accomplishment is above troop welfare, And accomplishing the Mission sometimes means putting people where the Marine Corps Needs Em'!

jeffsnff89
08-14-08, 10:16 AM
:flag: Wow, Finally someone gets it:usmc:

Mission accomplishment is above troop welfare, And accomplishing the Mission sometimes means putting people where the Marine Corps Needs Em'!

But they can change it during boot camp though then?

CplKJSpevak
08-15-08, 05:57 AM
But they can change it during boot camp though then?

Know Idea! When I was in Boot Camp, I didn't really care about where I ended up.....I just wanted to Earn the Title MARINE:flag:

jeffsnff89
08-15-08, 10:03 AM
Know Idea! When I was in Boot Camp, I didn't really care about where I ended up.....I just wanted to Earn the Title MARINE:flag:

Well, o.k. I'll take my chances then. Only thing that really bites the duster is that I can't go to Japan the first 4 years of enlistment, I REALLY wanted to do that. But I can wait.:p

JWMoore
08-15-08, 09:36 PM

and...
Be Patient and Wait!

When should I start pressuring my recruiter to get me the MOS I want, before or after going to MEPS. Also should I go ahead and get in DEP now and get a ship date for later than October, or wait till October to get in DEP, and can he guarantee me a MOS before going to MEPS. Sorry for all the questions.

slimmy07
08-16-08, 12:53 PM
When should I start pressuring my recruiter to get me the MOS I want, before or after going to MEPS. Also should I go ahead and get in DEP now and get a ship date for later than October, or wait till October to get in DEP, and can he guarantee me a MOS before going to MEPS. Sorry for all the questions.

Ok kid, you will have a TON of people on here telling you to get it guarnteed before going to MEPS, but a recruiter can NOT do that. Why? Because in order to enlist in the Marine Corps you need to be Mentally (ASVAB,Diploma,15 Credits, etc.) qualified, Morale Qualified (minimal police involvement, your ETNAC back ground check after MEPS,etc.), and Physically qualified (MEPS Phys) Once you have been found "qualified in ALL 3 of those areas you can enlist in the DEP of the Corps. Then your Program (MOS) can get guarnteed to you. We can NOT guarntee you anything without being found qualified in all 3 areas.