PDA

View Full Version : Wtf???

zx6rdr
08-12-08, 10:18 AM
CENTENNIAL (AP) - An ex-Marine and Hurricane Katrina evacuee has been convicted of murder in the slaying of a convenience store clerk in suburban Aurora.
Arapahoe County prosecutors say jurors found John Andrew Doubleday guilty of second-degree murder and felony murder on Monday. They say he shot 62-year-old Jutte Gallegos Burton as she worked at a 7-Eleven.
The felony murder conviction carries a mandatory life sentence but a judge still has to decide whether that conviction will stick. That's because jurors acquitted Doubleday of aggravated robbery, disagreeing on whether he had been forced to hold up the store by drug dealers. But the felony he's accused of committing under the felony murder conviction is robbery.

What does being a former Marine have to do with any of this??? :devious::devious:

HOLM
08-12-08, 10:58 AM
Welcome to the Peoples Republic of the USA

AL49BGN
08-12-08, 12:51 PM
I Agree It Has Nothing To Do With The Corps Except That Some Some Reporter Figured It Would Spice Up His Or Her Story.Stories Like This Get Me Angry But What Can We Do.

JRHD72
08-12-08, 05:39 PM
What does being a former Marine have to do with any of this??? :devious::devious:
The MARINES are the elite service in this country. We are looked up to even after we have done our active duty. We are in the forefront of the news becouse just the name MARINE attracts attention. It is our standards and traditions, that evokes the publics interest. When one of us screws up, we all screw up. We all cannot be held responsible for some ****birds action, (Oswald or the clown in the bell tower). But the rest of us still have to give that 110% to compensate for their actions. If the news said sailor, soldier or airman, it would not catch the publics attention.

zx6rdr
08-12-08, 06:05 PM
JRHD- I agree with you completely, the name Marine is used as an "attention getter". The only reason that I added that comment on the bottom of the story was to show my disgust in the way the media uses our title to thier advantage.

JRHD72
08-12-08, 07:03 PM
You hit the nail on the head zx6rdr. The saying go's " When I am right nobody remembers. When I am WRONG NOBODY FORGETS!

Nick Valdez
08-12-08, 08:22 PM
I agree with all of you. When something bad happens the papers AWAYS say former marine. You NEVER hear former army, navy, air force.

crate78
08-13-08, 12:40 PM
Once you earn the title "Marine" it's yours for life.

Along with the title "Marine" comes the responsibility of living up to certain standards the public expects for the rest of your life, and when a Marine screws up it's more newsworthy because he/she has failed to live up to expectations.

That's why we all cringe (and maybe die a little bit) whenever one of our brothers messes up.

crate

davblay
08-13-08, 01:04 PM
We all know that carrying the title of Marine has certain responsibilities that goes with it. I think that is where the old saying "do a 1000 goods and no one remembers, but do one wrong and all remember"!

If any of you ever saw the movie "The running Man", with Arnold starring in it, then you can appreciate where this Great Country is heading, with the media. It just may come to pass that no one will believe anything except whats on the news! Not even if they see it for themself. The headline "X-MARINE" catches the publics eye, because the public expects more from us, period! But as we all know, that have BTDT, there is always that 10% that ruin the reputation of us all. We just adapt, improvise and overcome and go on, that's all!

Semper Fi, and screw the Media!

Dave

FistFu68
08-13-08, 01:09 PM
:usmc: NOBODY EVER ASKED WHAT GOOD I DID,JUST HOW MANY PEOPLE I KILLED :usmc: :iwo:

Petz
08-13-08, 01:28 PM
... that's crappy FFU.... I had the same issue last night at work...

everyone is complaining about the war and how it's bad, but they don't think about the good that came of it... those who gave all did so to make a better life for those women and children. god bless them.

darkgreen0311
08-13-08, 01:48 PM
The newspaper job is to sell papers........ Right or wrong mainly wrong. They want to give the public the perception that we're all killers. It doesn't matter to me what the public thinks because it's not stopping recruiters from getting new meat. We're still the best and always will be no matter what Marine f**ks up.

:marine:SEMPER FI 4 LIFE!!!

jahhead88
08-13-08, 02:19 PM
It seems though that something like this becomes a good excuse to demonize anyone who wears or ever wore a Marine uniform.

Liberal logic. This guy who robs a store is a former Marine. He shoots someone and kills them. Therefore anyone who served in or currently serves in the Marines is a killer.

boomer56328
08-14-08, 10:57 AM
I've found that most people I deal w/ have certain ideas about me just from learning the fact I was in the Marine Corps. I'm sure that they mostly get their ideas from the media and movies, but there is some truth in the fact that as Marine's we are surrounded daily by violent thoughts and actions. Unfortunatly some brothers don't handle it as well as others. People just need to realize that although all Marine's are trained and equipped to do a terrible job that most people are unwilling to do, that they aren't made into mindless killers w/o conscience. People everyday break the law and do bad things. Not all are Marine's or soliders, unfortunately for us, some of them are. Just my thoughts, SEMPER FI.

chuckander
08-14-08, 11:50 AM
I agree. The news wants to paint us as killers so they can sell papers or news reports. :usmc:

jahhead88
08-15-08, 12:43 PM
Boomer:

You make a good point.

FistFu68
08-15-08, 01:20 PM
:evilgrin: LET THEM THINK WHAT THEY WANT,THE ONLY PEOPLE I REALLY CARE A'BOUT IS MY FAMILY;AND MY FELLOW MARINES.THIS IN A WAY WORKS TOO MY ADVANTAGE KEEP'S THE CIVILIAN SCUM AWAY FROM ME?:evilgrin: :beer:

gonein60secs
10-04-08, 02:11 AM
CENTENNIAL (AP) - An ex-Marine and Hurricane Katrina evacuee has been convicted of murder in the slaying of a convenience store clerk in suburban Aurora.
Arapahoe County prosecutors say jurors found John Andrew Doubleday guilty of second-degree murder and felony murder on Monday. They say he shot 62-year-old Jutte Gallegos Burton as she worked at a 7-Eleven.
The felony murder conviction carries a mandatory life sentence but a judge still has to decide whether that conviction will stick. That's because jurors acquitted Doubleday of aggravated robbery, disagreeing on whether he had been forced to hold up the store by drug dealers. But the felony he's accused of committing under the felony murder conviction is robbery.

I am not a member of any branch of military service but I have nothing but respect and praise for everyone of you. I know John doubleday & I once thought he was a decent guy. I suppose now, that I didn't know him afterall. In all truth, he never made it past Marine boot camp. He got into some trouble and was dismissed. I know Marines are proud Americans, I know you risk your own lives everyday so that we may continue to enjoy the freedoms America is built on. I understand that being a Marine is more than a job to you. It has to be something that lives within the spirit that makes you who you are, that makes you put the lives of others before your own..with that said..it's impossible that John Doubleday could have ever walked along the same path as any of you.