PDA

View Full Version : Tuna, Gatorade and Bug Spray....

wrbones
05-17-03, 02:12 PM
http://www.nj.com/news/expresstimes/nj/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1052903067233320.xml

Wednesday, May 14, 2003

By RUSS FLANAGAN
The Express-Times

For as long as his family can remember, Sgt. David Messinger wanted to be a Marine.

And as fate would have it, he wound up serving with the same Marine division in Iraq that his grandfather fought with during World War II.

"I thought it was pretty interesting for my grandson to get in the same outfit," said Charles Sarkady, who fought with the 25th Marines in the South Pacific. "I think that it's great."

Messinger, 25, a 1995 graduate of Easton Area High School, is still serving in Nasiriyah, Iraq, providing security as a scout/sniper with the 2nd Battalion.

While his mother, Diane Kale of Palmer Township, isn't certain when her son will be coming home, one thing she is sure of is that he is happy with what he's doing.

"It's all David ever wanted to do," Kale said of the Marine Corps. "He signed up as early as he could."

Over his career, Messinger has come up through the ranks pretty quickly, moving to the rank of sergeant in four years and earning the prestigious Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal for outstanding service while in command of a unit at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Messinger joined the Marine Corps right after high school and served four years before enlisting in the reserves. Kale said one of the things that most intrigued her son about serving in the military was the opportunity to travel the globe.

"Whenever an opportunity came up he took it," Kale said, adding that her son had been through Japan, Iceland and Germany before landing in Iraq.

When his four years were up, Messinger came home and worked as a private investigator tracking insurance fraud on Long Island, N.Y. But his heart was always in the military.

He signed up for the reserves under the guise that he would be given his dream detail in the sniper unit, to which the Marine Corps agreed. Messinger's one-year obligation was up just before Christmas, but as the standoff with Iraq escalated, his stay with the Marines was extended.

"He loved it, but I wasn't real happy," Kale said.

Then came news he would be going to Iraq.

"It was very nerve-wracking for me," Kale said. "I knew when it came down to it he was going. I knew there would be no stopping him."

Although the prospect of her son going to war was unnerving, she said Messinger constantly reassured her he'd be OK. As war loomed, Kale said she watched the news closely but couldn't bring herself to watch it after fighting broke out.

"It's a tough time," she said. "I finally stopped watching. Once he was (over there) I couldn't handle it. I didn't watch too much."

While Messinger was fighting in Iraq, Kale said she was forced to come to grips with the possibility that she may never see her son again.

"I believe in God, and I figured that whatever was going to happen was going to happen and I'd have to deal with it," she said.

One thing that helped ease Kale's nerves were the phone calls she would get from people who had loved ones serving in Messinger's unit. Her fears were quelled even further when she began to receive letters from her son, the first two arriving on April 1 from Kuwait.

Then last week, Kale received her first phone call.

"He sounded tired," she said. "He said it was very hot and very buggy."

During the brief phone call, Kale said Messinger told her he was doing fine but was sick of the military rations he's been eating and asked her to send him tuna, Gatorade, protein bars and bug spray.

Reporter Russ Flanagan can be reached at 610-258-7171 or by e-mail at rflanagan@express-times.com.

wrbones
05-17-03, 02:14 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/argus/index.ssf?/base/news/105286177068170.xml

News from the warfront reaches homefront in a round-about way

05/13/03

By Doug Browning

The Argus

From Our Advertiser

As American troops rolled into Iraq in mid-March, Bob and Traci Ulrich of Hillsboro were worried sick.

They thought their Marine son Justin, 22, was among the first wave of troops to enter the war zone, but they weren't sure.

"We got a letter dated March 5 that arrived on the 19th (as the invasion began)," Bob says.

"At that point, he said he was 30 days sitting in the sand in Kuwait. He couldn't say anything (about the invasion), but we got the impression he was at the front of this whole thing. He would have been disappointed not to have gone."

Desperate for news, any news, the Ulrichs monitored the Internet constantly for war news while continuing to run their business, Ulrich Industrial Coatings in southwest Hillsboro.

At night, they would go home and monitor the TV for hours, hoping they hadn't missed news of Justin's unit. They eventually got a cable hookup at the business so they could keep an eye on the TV during the day.

Then, out of the blue: Their niece, Amber, who lives in Seattle, called Bob's mother, Joanne Ulrich, in Hillsboro.

"She was all excited," Traci remembers. "She said they were all either going blind, or that's Justin in the newspaper."

Amber's father, Bob Ulrich's brother Chris, recognized Justin in a photograph distributed by the New York Times photo service and printed in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

Bob Ulrich shakes his head and laughs: "He saw it on Saturday, but he didn't say anything about it to his family until Monday. He said, 'Yeah, I just forgot.' "

Traci shakes her head, too: "Here we were on the Internet just trying to find anything ɠ"

Traci immediately jumped on the P-I's Web site and located the photograph Chris had seen April 5.

In the photograph, Justin was driving a Humvee somewhere in Iraq. Under wartime rules, the photographer, James Hill, could not disclose the precise location. Although the P-I ran the photo in black and white, the Internet version was in color.

Traci contacted the P-I to see if she could get a copy of the color version. The P-I referred her to the New York Times, which referred her to Getty Images, which said it did not have distribution rights to that photo.

How determined a mother is Traci Ulrich? She tracked James Hill down in Iraq and sent him an email, and he sent her a copy of the photograph and what he could remember weeks later about taking it. He had not seen a published version.

Cpl. Justin Ulrich joined the Marines after graduating in Century High School's first senior class in 1999. For most of his four-year hitch, he was stationed at Camp Pendleton in Southern California as a member of the 3d Assault Amphibious Battalion.

He's due to get out of the service later this year and plans to enroll at Portland State to become a teacher and coach.

In Iraq, he's with Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 5th Marines. Bob and Traci talked to him Sunday. He said his unit was still in southern Iraq, but it's headed back to Kuwait and could return to Camp Pendleton later this month.

Proud and relieved parents Bob and Traci Ulrich hope they get advance word. They want to be there to welcome him home.

wrbones
05-17-03, 02:16 PM
http://www.mainelincolncountynews.com/index.cfm?ID=3512

Your gateway to Lincoln County Maine and surrounding communities

Called to Serve --- James Crawson Serving in Iraq With Marines

Marine Corps Lance Cpl. James L. Crawson, son of Jim Crawson of Dresden is currently deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom while assigned to the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, based in Camp Lejeune, N.C. Crawson is one of more than 4000 Pacific Fleet Sailors and Marines who deployed aboard the ships of the USS Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group.

The majority of Marines and Sailors in Crawson’s unit have safely returned to the ships of the USS Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group from Mosul, Iraq, as Operation Iraqi Freedom continues to transition to humanitarian missions.

Crawson’s unit is an expeditionary intervention force with the ability to rapidly organize for combat operations in virtually any environment. MEUs are composed of more than 2000 personnel and are divided into an infantry battalion, aircraft squadron, support group and command element. With this combination, Crawson’s unit supplies and sustains itself for quick mission accomplishment and for clearing the way for follow-on forces.

Crawson is a 2001 graduate of Wiscasset High School of Wiscasset, and joined the Marine Corps in July 2001.