PDA

View Full Version : Please Help a Mom Understand

kschmidt
08-12-08, 08:23 AM
I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. I've unsuccessfully searched for these answers and I'm hoping somebody here can help. My son is a "wannabee", soon to turn 17 and go to his first MEPS. He will be in DEP as soon as he turns 17. He has already taken the ASVABs in school and did quite well. At our first meeting with the recruiter, my son told him that he wanted an infantry MOS and the recruiter started shaking his head "No" immediately. He said he wouldn't put him in an infantry MOS unless that was the only way my son would sign. My son wants to be a Marine, he has always wanted to be a Marine, and in the end I know he doesn't really care what MOS he has. But he also wants to be a grunt, at least for the first part of his career. He says that after the first enlistment he would consider a lat move to maybe MSG or something, more to satisfy Mom's desire for him to have a "marketable" training than anything. But my question is this: why would the recruiter so adamently oppose him joining as an 03XX?

sparkie
08-12-08, 09:39 AM
Short answer....03xx is an easy Mos for a recruter to fill. He would like to fill a harder position. Hold out for what you want. you have a long ways to go anyway.

jarheadlady
08-12-08, 10:06 AM
Yes, if your son scored well enough on the ASVAB to fill a harder MOS billet his recruiter will try to get him into a slot he has difficulty filling.

sscjoe
08-12-08, 10:08 AM
03's are highly "marketable" in the Law Enforcement sector, which is a very rewarding career. I know many a Marine- 03 who took that path. One is now an Assistant Chief in SoCal and the other a retired training Officer with L.A.P.D.

thewookie
08-12-08, 10:17 AM
I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. I've unsuccessfully searched for these answers and I'm hoping somebody here can help. My son is a "wannabee", soon to turn 17 and go to his first MEPS. He will be in DEP as soon as he turns 17. He has already taken the ASVABs in school and did quite well. At our first meeting with the recruiter, my son told him that he wanted an infantry MOS and the recruiter started shaking his head "No" immediately. He said he wouldn't put him in an infantry MOS unless that was the only way my son would sign. My son wants to be a Marine, he has always wanted to be a Marine, and in the end I know he doesn't really care what MOS he has. But he also wants to be a grunt, at least for the first part of his career. He says that after the first enlistment he would consider a lat move to maybe MSG or something, more to satisfy Mom's desire for him to have a "marketable" training than anything. But my question is this: why would the recruiter so adamently oppose him joining as an 03XX?

Truth be told I don't really understand it either, except knowing that the needs of the Corps come first. But even still, if the kid wants to get infantry then he should be able to, especially if the parents are supportive.

Sounds like a selfish recruiter, but who am I.

amarine0311
08-12-08, 10:44 AM
Welcome here Ma'am. Your questions and concerns are important, we will asnwer these questions to the best of our ability. Thank you for being a concerned and supportive parent to a possible future Marine.
As stated above, getting an 03xx MOS is not hard. The recruiter, most likely, was trying to see if he could place your son in a harder-to-fill MOS. This is not a slam on the recruiter, he has a VERY important job. The media and video games play up the grunt's role (03xx MOS) in the Marine Corps. It is what most civilians see. Therefore when junior wants to join the Marine Corps, naturally it is the grunt (03xx MOS) that is most requested making the recruiter's job harder.
Be proud of your son's decision to be a Marine.

drillinstructor
08-12-08, 11:03 AM
Well you can't lat move into MSG but it may be possible for him to lat move into another MOS. The problem is when that time comes, who knows where the Marine Corps will be when it comes to incitives. Before the war there were not many incintives and you COULD NOT LAT MOVE unless your MOS was closed. He will have more success doing something he wants to do. If he is dead set on the 03xx field then there is nothing wrong with that. If he does well he will have the opportunity for some great schools that some other MOS' do not get. If he has a skill or desires to acquire a skill then go for that.

Good Luck

slimmy07
08-12-08, 11:16 AM
Ok, let me clarify some things here. As a former recruiter we did NOT have a hard time filling the UH (infantry) program. Also, a recruiter does NOT hold out to fill a harder MOS. That is NOT true. Each recruiter is not assigned to fill certain programs. The programs are available for the WHOLE RS. For example, I was a recruiter in Arizona, all the programs were opened to all the applicants in Arizona. Jobs were first come first serve for an individual. I put in more aviation mechanics than any other MOS.Each recruiting station is given a certain amount of programs to fill every fiscal year. Those programs are opened to ALL in the RS. So, the RS I worked for was RS PHoenix, which would be ALL of Arizona. We are NOT given jobs to fill, yes we do have an enlistment quota every month but jobs are NOT part of that. It could be that the recruiter felt that you did not want your son to go infantry so he said no. It could be that the month your son ships to boot cam there are no more UH slots. There could be a number of reasons like that, but simply saying that a recruiter is holding out to "fill" a harder to fill slot is false. Recruiters want to put your son in a job that he is happy about.

Sgt Baker
08-12-08, 11:59 AM
Why not, as his mother, go to the Recruiter and open the lines of communication a little wider. Tell him how you feel. Ask him why he was so adamant. I bet you his intentions are honorable. Just seems that there needs to be more honest discussions between you, your son, and the Recruiter.

slimmy07
08-12-08, 01:00 PM
Why not, as his mother, go to the Recruiter and open the lines of communication a little wider. Tell him how you feel. Ask him why he was so adamant. I bet you his intentions are honorable. Just seems that there needs to be more honest discussions between you, your son, and the Recruiter.

Some very good advice.

dpawson
08-14-08, 10:29 PM
Your son's scores tell the Corps alot about his skills, math, problem solving, stuff like that. Have the recruiter get all the info he can on other MOS's. Also tell your son this, every Marine is a basic rifleman.

kschmidt
08-18-08, 08:13 AM
Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. We will definately be meeting with the recruiter again soon and I will ask him for clarification. I have talked to my son many times since our first meeting; the kid just really wants infantry. Nothing else. I can do nothing BUT support him; after all, that's my job. I've raised him to be an honorable young man, to know his mind and to be strong and independent. How can I back down from that now? What I am having difficulty with is the response from well-meaning people ( I guess they are well-meaning!), who sort of cringe and shake their heads in disbelief that I support my son in his decision to be a Marine. Do I want him hurt or killed? Of course not. It's like they think I'm a bad mother because I want him to go, follow his dreams. I guess I just don't get it.

davblay
08-18-08, 09:46 AM
Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. We will definately be meeting with the recruiter again soon and I will ask him for clarification. I have talked to my son many times since our first meeting; the kid just really wants infantry. Nothing else. I can do nothing BUT support him; after all, that's my job. I've raised him to be an honorable young man, to know his mind and to be strong and independent. How can I back down from that now? What I am having difficulty with is the response from well-meaning people ( I guess they are well-meaning!), who sort of cringe and shake their heads in disbelief that I support my son in his decision to be a Marine. Do I want him hurt or killed? Of course not. It's like they think I'm a bad mother because I want him to go, follow his dreams. I guess I just don't get it.

Ma'am, you are one of the fewest of the few! I whole heartedly appreciate your support for your son's decision! So many people have the wrong idea about the Marines. The major difference in the Marines and the other branches is we are the best, and we know it! That's not conceit, Ma'am, that's a fact!

FYI, all slots normally open up on October 1, so keep that in mind also, just in case the recruiter says all slots for 03XX are full at present. Your son doesn't have to sign up until he gets what he wants. Don't feel pressured to sign up for something he don't want.

Semper Fi Ma'am, and good luck to you and your son.

Dave

quillhill
08-18-08, 02:28 PM
I just want to say it's awesome that you're so involved and interested in your son's enlistment process. During the nearly three years I've been a member here I can't tell you how many 'How do I convince my parents?' threads I've seen.

Listen to these Marines and heed their advice. And keep being a supportive mom. He may not tell you now, but, I bet ya a steak dinner your son is stoked that you've got his back on this. :)

Keep us posted as you continue through the process with your son and good luck.

wishboneusmc
08-19-08, 03:59 AM
If your son wants to be a grunt and he scored well enough have him consider 0211 or something in the intel field. They deploy often with the grunts and it is quite maretable when he gets out as well

marinemama
08-19-08, 06:21 PM
I can do nothing BUT support him; after all, that's my job. I've raised him to be an honorable young man, to know his mind and to be strong and independent. How can I back down from that now? What I am having difficulty with is the response from well-meaning people ( I guess they are well-meaning!), who sort of cringe and shake their heads in disbelief that I support my son in his decision to be a Marine. Do I want him hurt or killed? Of course not. It's like they think I'm a bad mother because I want him to go, follow his dreams. I guess I just don't get it.

Well done on raising a fine son. I heard so many negative things when my son's joined and left the same day for boot camp. People had the nerve to ask me why I would send them off to die. I just didn't feed in to the junk they were spreading and stayed loyal and loving to my son's. My youngest gave me the best response to the jerks...He told me to tell them.."Your welcome, because of my son's fighting for your freedom, you have the right to say that." You will hear many lovely things too. I have a Proud Mom of Two Marines on my car and I can't even begin to tell you how many Marines have said, "Semper Fi" to me and many others just saying, "thank you". Just one Semper Fi from a Marine, negates all the other negatives and makes my heart swell with pride. It truly is a wonderful brotherhood.

I hope he gets his 03 slot...best of luck to him.

Petz
08-19-08, 07:25 PM
Semper Fi MarineMaMa!!

quillhill
08-19-08, 07:31 PM
marinemama, that reminds me of a t-shirt Cpl. Seeley had a couple years ago.

Front: Got Freedom?
Back: Then thank a United States Marine.

Heh. Love that.

Luckily some folks can be educated. I feel like those that sling crap are just losing out on the experience to either be a Marine or to know a Marine. In my book both are an honor and a privilege. So, their loss, I feel sorry for them.

I know for a fact from the interactions I've had with Marines on this site and Marines out in the world (and there are lot of them out there!) that there is no one I would rather have watching my six (figuratively speaking of course) than one of them.

That knowledge makes it easy to dismiss the mud slingers.

egbutler1
08-19-08, 07:32 PM
What I am having difficulty with is the response from well-meaning people ( I guess they are well-meaning!), who sort of cringe and shake their heads in disbelief that I support my son in his decision to be a Marine. Do I want him hurt or killed? Of course not. It's like they think I'm a bad mother because I want him to go, follow his dreams. I guess I just don't get it.

First off let me be speak freely. I do not like people who sit there and look down on those of us who choose to serve our country and also serve in the infantry. I did 4 years as a grunt and went to Iraq, people like that bother me. But it is their voice and they can speak it freely. Second they may sound well-meaning but what your son wants to do is something above himself. Something that those "well-meaning" people probably know nothing about. He wants to serve his country and that is very honorable regardless of his MOS. Don't sweat those comments you have nothing but my support for your willingness to allow your son to follow his dreams. I wish there where more Mom's out there like yourself. Know that if your son dose earn the title Marine that regardless of what his MOS is, he is doing something noble and patriotic something that not a lot of people choose to do and if he decides to get out after 4 years just being a US Marine will open thousands of doors for him in the civilian life. OOH-RAH! :)

Cpl. Butler, Emerson (Disabled OIF Combat Veteran)

mac257
08-19-08, 08:05 PM
Maybe he is smart enough to do a job more than be a infantry man, i wanted infantry but ended up in a nother MOS that better suited my meager talents that i had at 18.
the Corps puts the people with the right qualls from there test fit the need. quit squabballing, to wear the globe and anchor no matter your job is an honor. cpl mac257

mac257
08-19-08, 08:10 PM
I agree with you butler, no matter what your job it's all important, and to wear the globe and anchor is an honor in it's self, "semper-fi"

Zulu 36
08-19-08, 08:14 PM
If your son wants to be a grunt and he scored well enough have him consider 0211 or something in the intel field. They deploy often with the grunts and it is quite maretable when he gets out as well

Last time I checked, 0211 requires a lat move as a sergeant, or a corporal about to be promoted to sergeant. Usually requires a re-enlistment too.

mac257
08-19-08, 08:50 PM
I didn't know i answered a thread but if it helped, that''s all that count's"semper fi"
"Fedeli Certa Merces"

foxman
08-19-08, 09:00 PM
Praise God for you, Mom. If this country had more Moms like you we would have more Sons like yours. This is something this Country has been missing for a long time. I remember the last thing my Mom said to me when I left for PI in 64." Givem Hell Son and remember, Mom's Prayibg for ya".

MPMOM
08-19-08, 10:04 PM
HI,
I had people ask me at work why I signed for my son to join. I told em it's what he wants to do, how can you not want your son do what he wants in life? He was in the DEP program and was due to go in in Feb, got a call in Nov to have him go in now. Just asked him if he wanted to and like he said might as well, lol kids. He's been in almost 5 years now and I couldn't be prouder.

Carolyn

SlingerDun
08-19-08, 11:24 PM
The fact that you folks support 'your' kids choice of life changing service, elevates you all about 10 clicks higher than soccer mom. Congratulationshttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Bring that young man on lets see where his heads at.

--->Dave

ScottsMom
08-21-08, 12:46 PM
My Son is in Infantry, and I could not be more proud of him. He loves his Country and takes his job very seriously. I think you should be super proud of your son who sounds like a decent young man who also wants to support and protect his Country!!

jrhd97
08-21-08, 01:01 PM
Thank You for your support of your son. It makes a big difference in him, esspecially when he ships out.
What was, is the recruiters MOS? Did he have a bad experience as a grunt? It's a little odd that he would be so quick to say no. There are a lot of good MOS's for those with good scores. Talk to the recruiter more, don't be afraid to dig for answers.
Good Luck.

marinemom
08-21-08, 01:10 PM
My son is also an infantry marine - a Sgt. now - and I had to deal with the "well-meaning" folks, including some teachers, who wanted to know how I could support his decision to join the Corps.

Just tell them the same thing I did - the reason you can ask that question is because young men and women have joined the Corps since 1776 - they are the reason you can have your opinion and I have mine, as does my son.

And you are NOT a bad mother - you did your job well. He understands that Honor, COurage and Committment really mean something and wants to be part of it.

Riven37
08-22-08, 03:52 PM

Madam, All Marines are 0311's we're first grunts then secondary MOS.

Aitrus
08-22-08, 04:25 PM
Hi,

I apologize if this is irrelevant, but could it be because of his physical capabilities?

I myself am a 17 year old Marine wannabe. My recruiter said that he wouldn't put me in Infantry because I've never played sports. Obviously, it isn't becuase you need to know how to play sports to be a Marine, but what he said is that it's his job to put recruits where they have the best job of succeeding. He said that since I haven't played sports or done something like that, that I haven't put my body to the same lengths as someone who's done sports has, and I'm not going to be as in shape. They need the most physically fit recruits to be Infantry.

I'm sorry if any of that was confusing, or if it was irrelevant to the thread. I'm just trying to point out another possible reason. I hope your son gets his desired MOS and earns his title.

-Aitrus

kschmidt
08-25-08, 07:56 AM
No, his physical capabilities are not an issue. He's 6'1", 185 lbs, and has played travel hockey since he was 5. For the past two years, he played on two teams, which means he only had two months off of hockey. He's in pretty good condition.

I really appreciate everybody's replies. It is so encouraging to hear your comments! I'll let you all know what happens in a month when he turns 17 and signs DEP. Oh, and by the way, the recruiter called Saturday; my son told him that he was still interested in infantry, maybe machine gunner. I guess the recruiter sighed and said, we'll talk about that later.

I guess we will!

jhi033
08-25-08, 08:32 AM
Well mam, first what was his ASVAB score -was it high? Well, being a grunt is the choice of the people whom don't score well, second once you are infantry you stay infantry if that makes any sense. After your mos classification training that is what you are really stuck in. And it takes a long time to get out of it and there is the other side of it- death rate is higher -I'm sorry. If he becomes a grunt serves his time and re-enlists he can choose a different mos. The United States Marine Corp goal is to make better Marines-the ultimate elite warrior. And for those whom have the brains, they want them to use them to better serve there country. Like is a high school grad with a 2.5 gpa going to be a officer or will the kid with a 3.5 or higher? But all Marines are smarter than people really think, When I enlisted my recruiter said the same thing too me. So I chose a MOS in the Aerospace field, I finished my BA, graduated from OCS and BASICS to become a USMC Officer. And then I went to flight school, now at heart I am a hardcore infantry Marine but I chose to use my knowledge and I'll never regret any of it. Encourage you son to use what god gave him, but when he gets to Paris Island late one night and stands on those yellow footsteps that that thousands of Marines past have stood. And he passes the thru those silver doors, he will be scared unsure if he made the right decision. You will get a short simple abrupt phone call in the night and it might scare you too. But when the day comes that he is standing tall and looking sharp at graduation, he will hold out his hand and receive the symbol of the Marine and then in that instance, he will realize he has archived something that at a time he could not. And that is what a Marine is, Honor, Courage and Commitment-Our ethos our life. So it really dose'nt matter what he wants to do- as long as he serves his country with dignity as a Marine should.

:flag::usmc::marine:

quote=kschmidt;379016]I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. I've unsuccessfully searched for these answers and I'm hoping somebody here can help. My son is a "wannabee", soon to turn 17 and go to his first MEPS. He will be in DEP as soon as he turns 17. He has already taken the ASVABs in school and did quite well. At our first meeting with the recruiter, my son told him that he wanted an infantry MOS and the recruiter started shaking his head "No" immediately. He said he wouldn't put him in an infantry MOS unless that was the only way my son would sign. My son wants to be a Marine, he has always wanted to be a Marine, and in the end I know he doesn't really care what MOS he has. But he also wants to be a grunt, at least for the first part of his career. He says that after the first enlistment he would consider a lat move to maybe MSG or something, more to satisfy Mom's desire for him to have a "marketable" training than anything. But my question is this: why would the recruiter so adamently oppose him joining as an 03XX?[/quote]

Phantom Blooper
08-25-08, 08:33 AM
because young men and women have joined the Corps since 1776

Marinemom...Pat, the Marines started at Tun Tavern in Philly in 1775....some Marines at the time may have been so inebriated at that time that they didn't realize what the hell they did until 1776....but that may be another history story!:beer:

:evilgrin:

ScottsMom
08-25-08, 12:58 PM
Well mam, first what was his ASVAB score -was it high? Well, being a grunt is the choice of the people whom don't score well, second once you are infantry you stay infantry if that makes any sense. After your mos classification training that is what you are really stuck in. And it takes a long time to get out of it and there is the other side of it- death rate is higher -I'm sorry. If he becomes a grunt serves his time and re-enlists he can choose a different mos. The United States Marine Corp goal is to make better Marines-the ultimate elite warrior. And for those whom have the brains, they want them to use them to better serve there country. Like is a high school grad with a 2.5 gpa going to be a officer or will the kid with a 3.5 or higher? But all Marines are smarter than people really think, When I enlisted my recruiter said the same thing too me. So I chose a MOS in the Aerospace field, I finished my BA, graduated from OCS and BASICS to become a USMC Officer. And then I went to flight school, now at heart I am a hardcore infantry Marine but I chose to use my knowledge and I'll never regret any of it. Encourage you son to use what god gave him, but when he gets to Paris Island late one night and stands on those yellow footsteps that that thousands of Marines past have stood. And he passes the thru those silver doors, he will be scared unsure if he made the right decision. You will get a short simple abrupt phone call in the night and it might scare you too. But when the day comes that he is standing tall and looking sharp at graduation, he will hold out his hand and receive the symbol of the Marine and then in that instance, he will realize he has archived something that at a time he could not. And that is what a Marine is, Honor, Courage and Commitment-Our ethos our life. So it really dose'nt matter what he wants to do- as long as he serves his country with dignity as a Marine should.

:flag::usmc::marine:

quote=kschmidt;379016]I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. I've unsuccessfully searched for these answers and I'm hoping somebody here can help. My son is a "wannabee", soon to turn 17 and go to his first MEPS. He will be in DEP as soon as he turns 17. He has already taken the ASVABs in school and did quite well. At our first meeting with the recruiter, my son told him that he wanted an infantry MOS and the recruiter started shaking his head "No" immediately. He said he wouldn't put him in an infantry MOS unless that was the only way my son would sign. My son wants to be a Marine, he has always wanted to be a Marine, and in the end I know he doesn't really care what MOS he has. But he also wants to be a grunt, at least for the first part of his career. He says that after the first enlistment he would consider a lat move to maybe MSG or something, more to satisfy Mom's desire for him to have a "marketable" training than anything. But my question is this: why would the recruiter so adamently oppose him joining as an 03XX?[/quote]

On my son's behalf, I will have to disagree with that statement. He did very well on his ASVAB and chose to go Infantry.

DevsDad
08-25-08, 04:30 PM
Well mam, first what was his ASVAB score -was it high? Well, being a grunt is the choice of the people whom don't score well
So I chose a MOS in the Aerospace field, I finished my BA, graduated from OCS and BASICS to become a USMC Officer. And then I went to flight school, now at heart I am a hardcore infantry Marine but I chose to use my knowledge and I'll never regret any of it.

jhi033, Thank you for your service and meaning no disrespect...but... what in the hell are you talking about? Your post rambles around and is for the most part positive of the ENTIRE Corps but then digresses into elitist, self edifying pog crap before returning to a more positive course. Please show me the disconnect because I'm not seeing where you were a Grunt anywhere in your service history. Perhaps you left that chapter out of your career. My son also scored very well and yet still chose Infantry, in fact he signed an open 03 contract! I am not a wanna be, I am in fact a neverwas but as a very proud father of a GRUNT I take exception to your comments concerning the intellegence of 03's. I certainly hope that some poor stupid Grunts were around and were at least smart enough to protect your pog butt if you ever needed it.

To all my Marine friends here I am sorry and will take your rath if you feel I have been disrespectfull but I think those of you that have read any of my few posts will know how much respect I have for you all.

quillhill
08-25-08, 04:40 PM
Well mam, first what was his ASVAB score -was it high? Well, being a grunt is the choice of the people whom don't score well
So I chose a MOS in the Aerospace field, I finished my BA, graduated from OCS and BASICS to become a USMC Officer. And then I went to flight school, now at heart I am a hardcore infantry Marine but I chose to use my knowledge and I'll never regret any of it.

jhi033, Thank you for your service and meaning no disrespect...but... what in the hell are you talking about? Your post rambles around and is for the most part positive of the ENTIRE Corps but then digresses into elitist, self edifying pog crap before returning to a more positive course. Please show me the disconnect because I'm not seeing where you were a Grunt anywhere in your service history. Perhaps you left that chapter out of your career. My son also scored very well and yet still chose Infantry, in fact he signed an open 03 contract! I am not a wanna be, I am in fact a neverwas but as a very proud father of a GRUNT I take exception to your comments concerning the intellegence of 03's. I certainly hope that some poor stupid Grunts were around and were at least smart enough to protect your pog butt if you ever needed it.

To all my Marine friends here I am sorry and will take your rath if you feel I have been disrespectfull but I think those of you that have read any of my few posts will know how much respect I have for you all.

Dude needs to fill out his profile, huh? His user title says "Marine Friend" yet he claims to be an officer.

Color me skeptical. And I would say yours and ScottsMoms reactions are perfectly reasonable given your experiences as parents of grunts.

marinemom
08-26-08, 07:38 AM
AMEN! DevsDad! My son, tigger, also made a choice to go Infantry, and his ASVAB was good, as well - granted he has added other MOS's in his time in, but he is still first and foremost Infantry - like his Dad.

jhi033 - I think you had better rethink your comments - there is nothing like the wrath of a Marine parent, trust me.

trycap
09-18-08, 06:14 PM
I'm a DEP'er and I was surprised by how honorable, honest, and diligent Marine recruiters are (I had a bad experience with one army recruiter). I am in the same situation as your son, wanting to go infantry even though I had high qualifications, but my recruiter still tried to make sure I was making the right choice for myself. He asked me why I was joining the Marine Corps: if I had plans to continue college or not. When I said I would definitely work towards earning a degree one day he told me that I'd be too busy in infantry to probably take any courses during my enlistment and asked me if that would still be what I wanted. I told him that of course I was still okay with postponing my education. Then he told me that infantry is also hard to apply to the real world in terms of technical skills you can carry over into civilian jobs. From my experiences, Marine recruiters are so standup I'm sure your son's recruiter is just looking out for him.

So good luck to your son and you. You are an awesome mom for being so supportive. What reasons does he have for going infantry? I'm pretty set on infantry as well. Only thing I want. But I can never seem to be able to explain to people why I want to go infantry. Still, I'm going infantry and hoping to move towards becoming a hard-working grunt when I ship to bootcamp October 14th. In the end, I am grateful to the great recruiters at Rio Pinar station in Orlando, FL.

Mikewebe
09-18-08, 09:42 PM
I qualed for every MOS in the Corps except MP because I didn't have a drivers liscence. I went guaranteed Infantry and loved every....well most every minute of it. I have said this before and will again. Why be a Marine when you can work on aircraft or type or whatever in any other branch when you can be a grunt in the Corps

LanceCriminal
09-18-08, 10:00 PM
I qualed for every MOS in the Corps except MP because I didn't have a drivers liscence. I went guaranteed Infantry and loved every....well most every minute of it. I have said this before and will again. Why be a Marine when you can work on aircraft or type or whatever in any other branch when you can be a grunt in the Corps

To serve other Marines! Every MOS in the Marine Corps other than Grunts are in place to serve the Grunts. Personally I went in open contract because my recruiter told me all the 03 spots were filled for when I wanted to ship. I didn't care if I was a Grunt, or if I was supporting the Grunts. Either way. I did not know about the love/hate relationship between Grunts and POGs at the time but.....Grunts love me anyway....I am the Mailman! Everyone loves the Mailman! :marine: