PDA

View Full Version : college degree?

alauver
08-10-08, 08:10 AM
This upcomming semester i will be graduation college with a degree in computer information systems, and i have not even thought about becomming an officer and going to the officer candidate course. my question is, is there a lot of recruits with a college degree who opt out to go the the occ?

this may sound dumb but i want to join the marines and be a grunt for a little while. my recruiter told me that is i went the officer route i would not be able to i guess be a so called grunt. i can always sign up for the occ later and not right away.

i dont want to be looked down on by DI or anyone saying why didnt you go to the occ. ive also heard that its easier to join the marine corps to go through the occ? i like to make things hard on myself and would rather join the marine corps the hard way like everyone else.

is anyong in this situation or have been in this situation?
i could deff use some feedback.

thanks for everything each one of you marines do

Brewer0311
08-10-08, 08:46 AM
I read half of your post and gave up.

Your about to have a college degree and you can't even use grammar correctly?

Complete your profile and learn the Poolee Rules and then you will be acknowledged.

Wyoming
08-10-08, 09:46 AM
I read half of your post and gave up.

Your about to have a college degree and you can't even use grammar correctly?

Complete your profile and learn the Poolee Rules and then you will be acknowledged.

Samo - looks to me like he was texting to his friends.

Can't spell, can't use proper grammer, can't use common capitalization, etc.

want's to be a grunt for a little while / a so called grunt - WTF???

BTW - Click Here!! (http://www.goarmy.com/flindex.jsp?#?channel=&video=)

alauver
08-10-08, 10:01 AM
The Army link was very funny. As for my poor grammar, and "text messaging" style of a post, thats exactally what it looks like. Im trying to edit the post but am not sure how to do so. I do not see an edit button. Please guide me on how to edit a post and I will be happy to edit the post before I recieve any more bashing.

Thanks,

Adam Lauver

Wyoming
08-10-08, 10:26 AM
Too late to edit. You only have 5 minutes. The edit button would be in the bottom right.

alauver
08-10-08, 10:55 AM
Ok. Here is the revised version of my original post.

This upcomming semester I will be graduating college with a degree in Computer Information Systems, and have not thought about becomming an officer. My question is, is there a lot of recruits with a college degree who opt out to go the the OCC?

Ive heard that its easier to join the marine corps to go through the OCC. Is this true? Don't think im asking this question to try to get into the Marine Corps easier. Im not even going to the OCC, ive heard that those officers get looked down on because they took the easy way in.

Thanks,

Adam

Wyoming
08-10-08, 11:05 AM

This upcomming semester I will be graduating college with a degree in Computer Information Systems, and have not thought about becomming an officer. My question is, is there a lot of recruits with a college degree who opt out to go the the OCC?

Ive heard that its easier to join the marine corps to go through the OCC. Is this true? Don't think im asking this question to try to get into the Marine Corps easier. Im not even going to the OCC, ive heard that those officers get looked down on because they took the easy way in.

Thanks,

Adam

Where are you hearing this ****?

Capitalize Marine Corps.

What do Im and ive mean?

Don't send me anymore PM's to straighten things out. Figure it out or post it here.

Brewer0311
08-10-08, 11:05 AM

Thanks,

Adam

First off it is OCS.

No, it is not the easy way to become a Marine.

The only reason why they are looked down on that I've seen personally are: The officers that think they are hot **** straight out of their MOS school. Or the officers that are lost in the sauce.

Either way enlistedmen can't say anything really. They have to be very tactful if they do. If it were a Private or PFC straight out of SOI it would be handled a lot differently.

There are a lot less Marine officers to mentor to younger officers than there are Sgts and below to mentor young enlistedmen.

The way I see it... The Officers have a bigger role straight into the fleet than a Private or PFC. The officers above them obviously have a lot more on their plate and not as much time as they'd like to mentor.

This could all be different than what I'm saying though. I've obviously never been to OCS, been an officer, or seen an officer get corrected/mentored.

alauver
08-10-08, 12:07 PM
bigal, Im is short for i am just forgot the ' . ive is short for i have although I should have spelt out I have as ive is not a word. I will not send you a PM anymore nor ask for your advice or help. Im sorry i have wasted your time.

Brewer thank you for the response. I was not sure if it was Officer Candidate Course or Officer Candidate School that one would attend would be attending. I have seen both in a Marine Corps brochure.

Thats pretty much what my recruiter told me was the the officers think that they are so much better than everyone else and I guess thats where the bad reputation came from. Im not saying all of them, im just saying some may have a hot head.

I think I just need to talk to some officers to get their input.

Brewer0311
08-10-08, 12:38 PM
bigal, Im is short for i am just forgot the ' . ive is short for i have although I should have spelt out I have as ive is not a word. I will not send you a PM anymore nor ask for your advice or help. Im sorry i have wasted your time.

Brewer thank you for the response. I was not sure if it was Officer Candidate Course or Officer Candidate School that one would attend would be attending. I have seen both in a Marine Corps brochure.

Thats pretty much what my recruiter told me was the the officers think that they are so much better than everyone else and I guess thats where the bad reputation came from. Im not saying all of them, im just saying some may have a hot head.

I think I just need to talk to some officers to get their input.

Plenty of good officers on here to talk to. Some good Mustangs too that can tell you both sides of the Corps.

Use the search function. I'm sure it has already been covered but I'm not sure.

Marine84
08-10-08, 02:59 PM
Haven't you been here before as somebody else maybe? Seems like someone else was in here a while back saying something about being looked down upon. WTF?

alauver
08-10-08, 03:08 PM
Brewer - Thanks.

Marine - No, I ust found this website the other day.

JordanB
08-10-08, 03:56 PM
dude our Lt goes out with us all the time, belive me if you have a choice go as an officer you wont regret it

alauver
08-10-08, 04:21 PM
I think I would have to apply to get into the OCS correct?

Brewer0311
08-10-08, 04:50 PM
I think I would have to apply to get into the OCS correct?

Yep. Tell your recruiter that you want to talk to the OSO.

alauver
08-10-08, 05:15 PM
Who is the OSO? I apologize for all the questions. I was just under the impression that officers had desk jobs and thats what im trying to avoid.

rvillac2
08-10-08, 07:33 PM
Listen, kid. You're starting to **** me off. Everytime you open your mouth, you've stuck you're freakin foot right into it. Stop saying anything negative about Marines period or find another forum to read.

Officers do not JUST have desk jobs.
Marines do not disrespect other Marines (officers or enlisted) because of their rank or how they've earned it.
Marines earn their respect from other Marines by their bearing, job performance, and overall conduct as a Marine.

You will render the respect earned by everyone wearing the EGA or simply leave my forum.

Carry on.

rvillac2
08-10-08, 07:41 PM
The OSO is the Officer Selection Officer. He is the officer equivalent of the enlisted recruiter. This is the person you talk to about submitting an application to our Officer Corps.
To elaborate on your other posts:
OCS is Officer Candidate School, referring to the actual building and its personnel.
OCC is the Officer Candidate's Course and is a course of classwork at OCS meant for persons already posessing their degrees. They receive their commission upon graduation.
PLC is the Platoon Leaders Course which is another course that is taught in 1 or two segments to college students in their junior or senior summers. If they complete the course, they will receive their commissions upon graduation of college.

You are correct in thinking that you will apply for OCC if you're already close to getting a degree.

(Notice the proper grammar and punctuation. What do you want to bet that I receive the respect of my colleagues in every context, regardless of rank?)

alauver
08-10-08, 08:00 PM
I don't recall once where I disrespected any Marine. I came to this forum to get advice and help. Since my first post I have looked over each post before I click submit. Proofreading you might call it. Again, through the people i have talked to(most of which had no prior Marine experiance, although on or two did), the impression I was that Officers have desk jobs. In no way shape or form is that disrespecting.

Im trying to get to where you are. Why would I disrespect someone to whom I admire and look up to and in the future hope to obtain achievements such as theirs?

Ive read over my posts and just simply do not understand where you are seeing this disrespect.

Wyoming
08-10-08, 08:08 PM
I don't recall once where I disrespected any Marine. I came to this forum to get advice and help. Since my first post I have looked over each post before I click submit. Proofreading you might call it. Again, through the people i have talked to(most of which had no prior Marine experiance, although on or two did), the impression I was that Officers have desk jobs. In no way shape or form is that disrespecting.

Im trying to get to where you are. Why would I disrespect someone to whom I admire and look up to and in the future hope to obtain achievements such as theirs?

Ive read over my posts and just simply do not understand where you are seeing this disrespect.

It might be a good idea to quit arguing do a bit more proofreading, if indeed you do that each time.

Be advised, keep it up and your diapers are gonna get flamed.

alauver
08-10-08, 08:31 PM
Haha guess I forgot to check that one. Flaming diapers?

Anyway, to save you all from the headache and myself, I will no longer post here and just go to the recruiting office when I have questions.

Thanks for the "help."

rvillac2
08-11-08, 12:24 AM
OK. When you talk to the OSO, be sure to ask him about his desk job.

MyCorps
08-11-08, 09:31 AM
WOW!! It is amazing what people can get by with and still graduate from college.

bgsuwoody
08-11-08, 10:19 AM
Well let me tell you why you are ****ing me off. First, you are upsetting a lot of Marines I respect who are trying to help you. Secondly, you have a damn excuse for every little thing. Have fun in the Marine Corps if you can not even except a little ass chewing for the perception or reality of being stupid (in this gun club perception is reality)

Another thing...I have a college degree and I didn't know what to do or how I wanted to do things. Don't think that there is differences between officers and enlisted. Its about the people and their leadership abilities and attitudes and their willingness to learn from their mistakes. This is how it works on both sides period. I chose the enlisted route and I have loved it. Are there somedays I wish I would have joined the brass? Yeah lots of times, but it just isn't for me, I don't have the personality for it.

alauver
08-11-08, 02:24 PM
Mycorps, just so you know, within my major which is CIS (Computer Information Systems) my GPA is a 3.7. Why am I telling you this? Because from your post it seems that you think I am too uneducated to get through college.

bgsuwoody, I never once tried to upset a Marine. I am really not sure where you all are getting this "disrespect" and "upsetting" thing from. I to am thankful for the help I have recieved.

I came on this site for help and guidance when im not at the recruiting office. I think for the past 2-3 weeks ive been in that office about 10 times asking questions and figured maybe I could go online and ask questions, rather than driving 30 minutes to the recruiting office.

Since I came here I asked one question and everyone jumped down my throat. I made a mistake, big deal. I corrected the problem yet still everyone seems to try and find something to b*tch about. So say what you want, find more things in this post to b*tch about.

Its actually very amusing how you all can b*tch about little things such as punctuation.

thewookie
08-11-08, 03:18 PM
Its actually very amusing how you all can b*tch about little things such as punctuation.

Amusing to you, but not to us.

Using proper spelling and punctuation is a little detail, but an important one because then people can clearly understand what you are asking. You cannot possibly understand how important attention to detail is right now because if you screw up, you just hit the delete button.

You come in here looking for real answers but you sound like a 5th grader, why should we bother to give you any information?

Go see the recruiter....

And by the way sparkie, some of the Marines that you are amused by have wrote the book on being a Marine. There are many reasons why we are the Few and the Proud; attention to detail is only one of them.

MyCorps
08-11-08, 03:20 PM
Try going through OCS or TBS and say "oops, i made a mistake...no big deal."
You came here. No one on here asked for you to post. This is a site by Marines, for Marines. If you don't like the answers you get then quit posting and leave. Nobody wants to hear your whining anyways.

You boast a GPA of 3.7 and yet you can't spell correctly. A major in computer information systems and you don't know how to use a spell checker. Sounds like you need to take your act to the Air Force. You are not worthy of the Marine Corps. You certainly will not make it through OCS.

Wyoming
08-11-08, 03:21 PM
Damm, now I gotta heat up some more oil.

alauver
08-11-08, 03:30 PM
HaHa. You both are 100% correct.

I will talk to you all early April when I graduate boot camp.

Untill then, thanks for what you are doing for our country.

Wyoming
08-11-08, 03:41 PM
IF!!