PDA

View Full Version : Marines cook at Indy 500

wrbones
05-17-03, 11:39 AM
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/5870942.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Thu, May. 15, 2003

Home cookin': Marines serve at Indy in kitchen
By MIKE BRUDENELL
Detroit Free Press

INDIANAPOLIS - The best find at Indianapolis Motor Speedway this month? It's a team of U.S. Marines who are putting in plenty of hard work at the Brickyard.

You won't find them in the pits or garages, but they are keeping hundreds of reporters and race workers smiling with their speed, precision and determination. Since the speedway opened for practice May 4, a squad of young men from the 6th Engineer Support Battalion in South Bend, Ind., have been cooking and serving meals to photographers and writers from around the world.

Some of them are keen race fans. But they are preparing meals of roast chicken and baked flounder to make money to support their unit's Marine Corps Ball, which will be Nov. 10 in South Bend.

"Our sergeant told us about the vacant kitchen jobs," said Lance Cpl. Timothy Martin, 21. "We wanted to raise money for the ball, so we applied to the speedway."

Martin, who had never been to Indy, said a ticket to the ball usually costs each soldier $75.

"This way, we can pitch in our savings for the month and reduce the price of a ticket," he said.

Most Marines doing media kitchen duty work six to seven hours a day. They serve as many as 400 meals a day, and probably will get three or four days off during the month.

"Hey, it's a lot easier than working around the barracks," said Pfc. David Kindred, 25, who joined the Marines last year. "We have developed a system of cooking, cleaning and getting the job done quickly. Teamwork is the key."

Lance Cpl. Ryan P. Holland has been in the Corps for seven months. Holland, 18, is well prepared for his kitchen chores. He once worked at a sports bar in South Bend.

"I cooked and washed dishes at the bar when I was 16," Holland said.

His favorite driver is Michael Andretti.

"He's a lot like his father, Mario," Holland said. "He inherited all the skills from his dad. I hope he can win the race in his last start at Indy."

Like Holland, Martin is an experienced hand when it comes to serving food.

"I worked at McDonald's while I was at high school," Martin said, grinning. "The only thing is, I used to eat too much during my shift."

While cheeseburgers and French fries are on the menu at the cafeteria, the fare is not restricted to fast food. Along with hot dogs and onion rings, the Marines have been serving up gourmet sandwiches, salads, roast beef and chicken tacos.

"I think I set a record for the amount of food I've eaten so far," said Indianapolis Star writer Philip B. Wilson, who had been on a strict diet before coming to the speedway. "It's hard not to come down for a meal each day. The Marines are a good-natured bunch who seem to be really enjoying their jobs."

Wilson, whose father was in the Army, is impressed with the Marines' attitude.

"They're happy to be here," Wilson said. "I even went over the salutes with them the other day. I think I got it right."

The Marines hope to be watching from the media center balcony when the Indy 500 starts May 25. With a bit of luck, they also will catch the finish.

"We'll take some sort of break to watch the green flag being waved," said Derrek Black, who supervises the Marines in the kitchen.

While they have been busy hovering over ovens and washing pots and pans, the Marines have been keeping an eye on the drivers on the track. And they all have their favorites.

"I'm picking Helio Castroneves to make it three wins in a row here," Martin said. "I've got my money on him."

Kindred, who grew up watching short-track racing in Indiana, will be rooting for Robby Gordon.

"I like Robby because he also drives in NASCAR," Kindred said. "I'd love to see him win the Indy 500/Coca-Cola 600 double this year. He's got the experience to do it."