PDA

View Full Version : Greeley Marines meet — 7,000 miles from home

thedrifter
08-09-08, 07:57 AM
Greeley Marines meet — 7,000 miles from home

By By Mike Peters,

It was a common setting for the military: Two Marines, one transferred from Hawaii, the other from a base in Japan, were in the room in Okinawa, introducing themselves to the other Marines in the room.

Lance Cpl. Nathan Motis stood and said, “I’m from Greeley, Colorado.”

From the back of the room came a voice: “So am I!”

That’s when Motis and Lance Cpl. Kristopher Lanz first met, almost 7,000 miles from their hometown.

“We did the same things, had the same friends, but we never met until Okinawa,” Lanz said.

They used to cruise 10th Street in Greeley and College Avenue in Fort Collins, they both enlisted in the Marines, both had basic training at Twentynine Palms, Calif. They never met until Okinawa.

And, at the end of this month, they’ll be traveling together — to Iraq.

Motis is the son of Kevin and stepson of Pauline Motis of Greeley. He grew up in Eaton and graduated from Eaton High School before the family moved to Greeley. That’s where he lives now. He became a Marine in 2006.

When he came home on leave last month, friends in Eaton threw him a party, and the Eaton Ace Hardware store flashed his name on the sign along the highway.

Lanz’s mother is Sheri Lanz of Greeley. He graduated from Greeley Central High School in 2004 and joined the U.S. Marines in 2007.

Why the Marines?

Motis: “I wanted to be the best.”

Lanz: “The few and the proud.”

Their four drill sergeants — whose names both men said they’ll never forget — seem to have convinced the men that the Marines is the place to be.

When asked about going to war at the end of the month, Lanz is straightforward: “It should have been over by now, but I need to go for my country,” said Motis, “They’ve prepared us for this, and we need to be going.”

They’ll both be in the Marines for four years active duty, then another four in the reserve, unless they re-enlist. They may also go on to college or find another career, but right now, they aren’t thinking about that.

They’re considering themselves lucky to have found a friend, a long way from home.

Ellie