PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp Advice

fjmas1976
08-09-08, 07:26 AM
Quit coffee and anything with caffeine in it BEFORE you go to Boot Camp. Once you are there and away from your coffee,soda, and Red Bull drinks you WILL go through caffeine withdrawal and it WILL suck.:evilgrin:

Sonic13
08-09-08, 09:33 AM
I remember getting goosebumps the first time i sucked down a cup of soda at the warriors breakfast, its amazing how dependant we are on things like that and we don't realize it til we can only drink water and powerade for 3 months.

fjmas1976
08-09-08, 10:37 AM
I remember getting goosebumps the first time i sucked down a cup of soda at the warriors breakfast, its amazing how dependant we are on things like that and we don't realize it til we can only drink water and powerade for 3 months.
You got Powerade? All we got was water or bug juice....I used to go with a grapefruit juice/cranberry juice mix when I needed a change from the insane amounts of water we were drinking.:usmc:

pilot37
08-09-08, 03:33 PM
Booo Powerade! I want Gatorade haha

coltie52
08-09-08, 04:53 PM
Tough S###,
I should be fine, I haven't had a Pop for 5 months now. All I drink is Water.

davblay
08-09-08, 04:54 PM

People in hell want ice water to!

Oh and finish your profile!

Thank you!

bonnjanry
08-09-08, 05:05 PM
I've quit smoking for the past three months so I won't get cravings in boot camp (and to help me in running). It's gone pretty well.

GRADY403PFC
08-09-08, 05:15 PM
I think soda and caffine are really the least of your worries when going into boot camp, lol. You really need to worry about being in shape as much as possible and trying to get into mental shape (Truthfully there is no way to be in full mental shape for basic trianing lol). but, really i think having sodas and caffine would really be the least of your worries.

Pfc Carpenter

:usmc:

fjmas1976
08-09-08, 07:05 PM
I think soda and caffine are really the least of your worries when going into boot camp, lol. You really need to worry about being in shape as much as possible and trying to get into mental shape (Truthfully there is no way to be in full mental shape for basic trianing lol). but, really i think having sodas and caffine would really be the least of your worries.

Pfc Carpenter

:usmc:
Will you be adding "spellcheck" to the list of items that are the least of your worries?:evilgrin:

Sonic13
08-09-08, 07:59 PM
ya we could get a cup of powerade at the chowhall, other than that it was sink water from the head in our canteens, and it was always luke warm at that. I actually dont think i've ever drank cold water in bootcamp.

PhantomLord
08-09-08, 08:01 PM
Cold water is bad for you when your exercising and or out in the heat for long periods of time. Your throat runs close enough to your heart that you can actually go into shock from the heat and then pouring ice cold liquid into your core. It sucks drinking luke warm water but better safe then sorry.

Now slowly pouring cold water on your head is a hellova lot better for you. Thats what you really want to keep cool, is your brain. Since its the hottest part of your body its the first to be affected by the heat.

Zulu 36
08-09-08, 09:51 PM
Cold water is bad for you when your exercising and or out in the heat for long periods of time. Your throat runs close enough to your heart that you can actually go into shock from the heat and then pouring ice cold liquid into your core. It sucks drinking luke warm water but better safe then sorry.

Now slowly pouring cold water on your head is a hellova lot better for you. Thats what you really want to keep cool, is your brain. Since its the hottest part of your body its the first to be affected by the heat.

Well, that isn't quite how the body works. Although when overheated, drinking tepid or slightly cool water is much better than cold. Cold water chills the stomach, causing blood to be diverted from the skin to rewarm the stomach. This reduces cooling from evaporation and radiation, thus causing heat to be retained within the core (heart, lungs, and most importantly, the brain which has less tolerance for excess heat).

Second, tepid water tends to be absorbed from the stomach faster as the body has to do less work in processing it (i.e. warming it up). So your system now has more water available to keep blood volume up and produce more sweat for evaporative cooling.

Depending on how overheated you are, pouring cold water onto yourself may not be a good idea either. Cold water causes the blood vessels in and near the skin to constrict to prevent heat loss, paradoxically keeping the heat inside. Once again, plain old tepid water works best.

The only time cold water soaks are better is in heat stroke when it is critically necessary to rapidly cool the patient regardless of any other potential complications.

PhantomLord
08-09-08, 09:54 PM
Well, that isn't quite how the body works. Although when overheated, drinking tepid or slightly cool water is much better than cold. Cold water chills the stomach, causing blood to be diverted from the skin to rewarm the stomach. This reduces cooling from evaporation and radiation, thus causing heat to be retained within the core (heart, lungs, and most importantly, the brain which has less tolerance for excess heat).

Second, tepid water tends to be absorbed from the stomach faster as the body has to do less work in processing it (i.e. warming it up). So your system now has more water available to keep blood volume up and produce more sweat for evaporative cooling.

Depending on how overheated you are, pouring cold water onto yourself may not be a good idea either. Cold water causes the blood vessels in and near the skin to constrict to prevent heat loss, paradoxically keeping the heat inside. Once again, plain old tepid water works best.

The only time cold water soaks are better is in heat stroke when it is critically necessary to rapidly cool the patient regardless of any other potential complications.

Ah, i didnt pull out the Medical school book, haha. Thanks for the info and correction. Its very valuable.

davblay
08-09-08, 11:07 PM
I can see this PhantoM Lords Private bus pull up to the recieving barracks and the DIs are grillin him to get on the foot prints, when a huge body guard steps bteween then and says, I'll do it for him.....then all hell breaks loose on the depot! The MPs come and ascort the civi bus and people off the depot and Phanton becomes a Recruit........NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

Dave

PhantomLord
08-09-08, 11:08 PM
I can see this PhantoM Lords Private bus pull up to the recieving barracks and the DIs are grillin him to get on the foot prints, when a huge body guard steps bteween then and says, I'll do it for him.....then all hell breaks loose on the depot! The MPs come and ascort the civi bus and people off the depot and Phanton becomes a Recruit........NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

Dave
Ahaha, no. Sorry, but no.

Wyoming
08-09-08, 11:12 PM
Ahaha, no. Sorry, but no.

You're gonna lose in here.

Best thing to do is turn off the lights and enjoy.

Somebody else gotta bring the popcorn tomorrow.

PhantomLord
08-09-08, 11:14 PM
Yes, Im aware. Its like arguing with a fence post, no matter how much you attempt to reconcile with it, your still an idiot................for trying to befriend a fence post.

It's slowly sinking in.

fjmas1976
08-10-08, 01:42 PM
Yes, Im aware. Its like arguing with a fence post, no matter how much you attempt to reconcile with it, your still an idiot................for trying to befriend a fence post.

It's slowly sinking in.
Dr. Seuss in your profile.......that has to be a joke:evilgrin:

PhantomLord
08-10-08, 01:43 PM
It's actually not. Its a very very good quote.

fjmas1976
08-10-08, 01:51 PM
Are you serious? That is the most overused, generic quote that there is. That quote can be found in high school yearbooks EVERYWHERE.....used by countless teenage girls.

PhantomLord
08-10-08, 01:56 PM
If you say so. To each his own.

fjmas1976
08-10-08, 01:58 PM
Very true Sir....very true. I'm just busting your b*lls...no worries.

PhantomLord
08-10-08, 02:00 PM
No problem Sir.

Books
08-10-08, 03:02 PM

It's slowly sinking in.

... You're calling the Corporal a fence post?

I'm not even going to waste time with this when I could be using that time to get some popcorn...

PhantomLord
08-10-08, 03:31 PM
No.

SGT7477
08-10-08, 04:47 PM
You're gonna lose in here.

Best thing to do is turn off the lights and enjoy.

Somebody else gotta bring the popcorn tomorrow.

LMFAO, whew I would love to be the DI when he gets off the bus.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
08-10-08, 04:49 PM

Dave

He has alot to learn, RESPECT FOR ONE.:evilgrin:

RockSteady85
08-10-08, 06:51 PM
I've quit smoking for the past three months so I won't get cravings in boot camp (and to help me in running). It's gone pretty well.

I can't even remember how many people had brought cigarettes with them to MEPS the day we were shipping, and they were trying to get every last puff in that they could. I remember some of those ended up in my platoon, and damn, they were hurting for a cigarette for weeks afterward! It was probably the worst for them in Receiving. It gets better as time goes along because the withdrawals cease little by little, and you get used to the swing of things. But I would highly recommend that if anyone smokes and is planning on going to boot, quit NOW! The sooner the better. Besides getting over the cravings and withdrawals before boot, you'll see your run time improve too. I recently quit smoking (granted, I only smoked for about 6 weeks), and I already can tell that I breathe better when I do my freestyle and breaststroke timed laps in the pool :)

mincj
08-10-08, 10:09 PM
Just do what ever the hell Drill Instructors tell you to do. Simple.