PDA

View Full Version : Royal Marine Troop in Training.

Rover
08-08-08, 08:17 AM
An insite into the 32 weeks of training a Royal Marine undergoes to earn his Commando Green Beret.

After two years service with a Commando unit he can then apply to go for the selection process for UK Special Forces.

http://www.959trooproyalmarines.co.uk/

Rover

MarineNCO
08-19-08, 08:11 AM
Thank you much. I wil lhave to review this when I get home and have more time. From the little I perused it is very interesting. Perhaps if I wasn't so old....

thewookie
08-19-08, 10:32 AM
I cross-trained with the Royal Marines across the pond in Scotland and England, and then again, when they came over here to cross-train with FAST. And I'll say they impressed the chit out of me. Couple of things (non-alcohol related) that stand out to me.

1. On the range they are much more laid back, and they give the Marines some space to operate. Not as many rules and regulations and more "keeping it real." And I felt safe, most of the time.

2. It takes them forever to pick up rank, guys that have been in 20 years over there are still PFC's, or their equivalent. I went over there as a Sgt. and I was treated like a king,, big, big, difference. I would compare it to how I perceived how a Marine Staff NCO or Officer is treated -- from living quarters, to chow and general respect.

3. They keep it real, they had a PFC that was mouthy and screwed up a drill we were doing, actually he did it a few times and then got mouthy... and they literarily beat the snot out of the kid. From the LT on down. I saw the kid after they had him out back... and he was black and blue already.

4. Everyday, in any training mission or any activity... they will sit down around noon and have tea,, for like an hour or so. :)

5. Naked Bar - anywhere they go, anywhere but usually in bars, if somebody yells "Naked Bar" they all drop trouser and start dancing around. I must admit the 1st time I saw this that I was a little worried... but it's perfectly normal to them.

Great guys, and well deserving of the title Marine.

MarineNCO
08-20-08, 05:22 PM
I just watched the training videos up to week 9. I am 34 years old (I joined the US Marine at the ripe old age of 28). If I had it to do over again I think I would try to move to England and give it a go when I was 18 or so.

Mikewebe
08-27-08, 05:27 PM
I got to go with my 1stSgt aboard the HMS Gloucester in Bahrain. He had served a tour with the royal Marines and was a quad body. It was a drunken mess but fun none the less