PDA

View Full Version : on my way

xero EvD
05-16-03, 08:27 PM
ok im a 18yrs old and working my ass off to get to boot but you see i have this problem i weigh about 240 but wait now before you guys start laughing i weigh 240 but look about 200 or 190 im 5'9 and stocky as hell you see my parent found that child labor is cheaper then a hired hand so im naturally built i go to pt and can out run everyon their and when we do sprints im right behind the skinny kids im by like 1 second i was just wondering if anyone had this problem before boot and has any tips for me if so thanks

p.s.i meet all the test requirements except for pull ups i can only do 2

being fat sucks:mad:

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-16-03, 10:56 PM
The only thing you can do is lose the weight. Your recruiter can probably help more than most people that can't spend time with you on a regular basis. Just know that manypeople have had this problem, and managed to make it just fine.
If your recruiter won't talk to you until you lose the weight, or you feel like you need some more advice about PT issues, give me a PM and we will see what we can do to get you to your goals.

wrbones
05-16-03, 11:16 PM
There's lots of info for ya in the POOL-ee Hall and Marine Mentor forums. The exercise programs and advice are inestimable in their value to you if you'll take it and run with it.

SixGuns'll be around sooner or later with some more detailed info and questions for ya. He's our resident recruiting expert. ( Well, hell. He gets paid to work there!)

Sixguns
05-18-03, 08:40 PM
Recruiters don't have time to run "mini-boot camps" to get folks in shape. He can, however, invite you out to PT with him and his poolees when they do so. You need to show some initiative by taking the first steps. First, consult with your doctor to see how realistic it is to lose weight and what your ideal or expected weight should be and to review your medical history (injuries, illnesses and such). Next, get his insight and have him outline a weight loss plan that is healthy for you (5 lbs. per week, etc.). Get enrolled in activities that are AEROBIC! NOT ANAROBIC (weight lifting, etc.) Aerobic exercise like running, swimming, biking (our for the chicks, Spinning), stair machines, etc. Any exercise that requires you to increase your heart rate and maintain an elevated level of activity for 25-40 mins. Your body does not need anymore than 40 mins of aerobic exercise per day. Check your progress regularly and maintain contact with your recruiter and doctor to let them know how things are going or if you are experiencing any difficulties. Good luck. It can be done. I enlisted a young man who took nearly a year to make DEP-in weight. He had to lose 75 Lbs.

SIXGUNS

firstsgtmike
05-20-03, 01:52 AM
xero_EvD,

"Quote"I enlisted a young man who took nearly a year to make DEP-in weight. He had to lose 75 Lbs." End Qote from Sixguns

Bones has recommended reading the Poolee and Poolee Mentor Forums. That's the best advice you could ever receive.

I have some posts there. My bottom line is" I am god, prove yourself to me. Do that, and we go down to the wire together".

I Never lost a man I wanted into My Marine Corps. "But, but, but, but.......". I paddle a boat, and engine failure has never impressed me.

That said; In the Corps, I had a friend, a Samoan. Weight to height was totally out of proportion. UNTIL, they did their flotation devise test. Body fat was LESS than that of a lean long distance runner.

Time to rewrite the book, and they did.

My Samoan friend was still serving when I retired in 1978.
\
Mike Farrell
Cagayan de Oro
Philippines

xero EvD
05-29-03, 09:47 AM
thanks ill keep you posted on my progress