PDA

View Full Version : USMC Mountain Warfare Training Center

wrbones
05-16-03, 08:08 PM
http://www.mwtc.usmc.mil/

The Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Centers Mission

The Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center (MCMWTC) is one of the Corps most remote and isolated posts. The Center was established in 1951 as the Cold Weather Battalion with a mission of providing cold weather training for replacement personnel bound for Korea. After the Korean Conflict, the name was changed to the "Marine Corps Cold Weather Training Center." As a result of its expanded role, the Center was renamed "Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center" in 1963. MCMWTC operated on a full-time basis until 1967 when it was placed in a caretaker status as a result of the Vietnam War. The training Center was reactivated as a full-time command on 19 May 1976. Today, MCMWTC is the premier institute for training in mountain and cold weather warfare. MCMWTC is located on California Highway 108 at Pickel Meadow. The Center is 21 miles northwest of Bridgeport, California and 100 miles south of Reno, Nevada, on 46,000 acres of the Toiyabe National Forest. Under agreement with the US Forest Service the Marine Corps uses the training area to instruct US and international military personnel in mountain and cold weather combat operations. The Center is located at 6,762 feet, with elevations in the training areas ranging to 11,459 feet. During the winter season (October - April), snow accumulation can reach depths of six to eight feet. Further, severe storms can deposit as much as four feet of snow in a 12 hour period. Annual temperatures range from +90 degrees to -20 degrees Fahrenheit.

MCMWTC conducts formal schools for individuals and battalion training in summer and winter mountain operations. The training emphasizes development of both individual and unit mountain skills with primary emphasis on enhancing overall combat capability. Marines at the Center are also involved in testing cold weather clothing, equipment, human performance, rough terrain vehicles, and developing doctrine and concepts to enhance our Corps' ability to fight and win in mountain and cold weather environments.

greensideout
05-16-03, 09:09 PM
Been there, done that.

17 foot of snow in 1963.

Snow holes don't keep you warm, they just keep you alive.

Officers were allowed to take a bottle of rum.

Snow shoes to climb and hickory cross-country skis on the return. (Back then)

Had to build a fire to warm my fingers to tie my boots.

Went head first off a mountain ridge into the snow at least 35 to 40 feet below. Hard climb out and up with the skis on.

Stomach size after training---about the size of a walnut.

If you get a chance to go, do it! But you'll hate winter and snow for the rest of your life.

Pickel Meadows gets a five star rating from this critic.
Did I mention a frozen brain?

greensideout
05-17-03, 06:35 PM
I was hoping that someone else would jump in here with your experience at Pickel Meadows. I would like to here it. Maybe later.

I'll tell a little more of mine, though long ago for those that may have a chance to live in the snow in the future.

What I remember most is how cold I was at night.

I had not been back from Nam all that long and I think my blood may have still been thin.

We were given a 6" candle to glaze the inside of our snow hole.
I used it for that then stuck it in the snow beside my sleeping bag for heat. That didn't work so well. The next morning I looked where my candle had been only to see a 1/2" hole that I could not see the bottom of. So much for candle heat.

Some of the Officers somehow heard that I had been in Nam, (Was still a new thing to the Corps for the most part.) and they invited me to their area to have me tell about it. That's when I learned that they had the Rum "to help keep them warm". They offered me a swig as I told them about Nam as I lived it. Those college boys were good at snow holes. Their's had a single entrance that lead to all the indiviual sleeping holes. Looking back I could see the advantage to that. All their warm bodies sharing heat into one space.

I remember the days being sunny and that the cold was never a problem. We were always on the move in snowshoes or on the skis. That part I did enjoy!

Upon completion of training we left the high mountains and skied back to the base camp where we started out on the first day. They had prepaired a steak dinner for us complete with strawberry short cake. A few bites of each was all my stomach could hold.

Well, at least I learned to ski and how to survive in the mountains.

leroy8541
05-18-03, 05:55 PM
Pickle Meadow, Bridgeport , what ever, we just called it Bridge port or hell on a hill the only thing I remember was the Pickle barrel, a tent set up for those thirsty souls after the training was over. They did however serve the steak and lobster dinner. I wonder agin if it is tradition within the corps to serve this meal when the chance someone is going to die, or seriously be injured. I know to this day when I am offered free steak and lobster my short hairs stand on end!!

Hussar
07-08-07, 06:00 PM
How does one get to go to the Mountain Warfare Training Center?

Zulu 36
07-08-07, 07:15 PM
How does one get to go to the Mountain Warfare Training Center?
Primarily infantry units go to Mountain Warfare School, and often support units go along as well. Individuals can go to certain courses they hold, such as mountain leader courses, and at one time, mule skinner school. If your unit is tasked to go, you go. Once you have some time in, and your unit gets some slots for individual courses, you can volunteer for them.

They do winter type stuff, such as cross-country skiing, cold weather survival and such in the - (wait for it) - winter.

During the summer they primarily teach mountaineering skills. Rock climbing, rappeling, building ziplines, rope bridges, rigs to carry heavy loads (such as mortars, or when I was in, 106mm recoiless rifles) over gorges, etc. They also get into proper techniques for crossing fast running streams (which is testicle shrinking cold).

I went in the late summer for mountaineering. Missed a winter trip (darn). Base camp then was old beat-up GP Medium tents that were not staked down correctly and lots of cold air got underneath. Day time was pretty nice.

The hump to the training area from base camp was a ball-buster for me as I was not a grunt and my unit went with a grunt company and had to keep up. The grunt CO must have been a mountain goat in a previous life. He must have run most of the way there, up and down the column, all with a field transport pack on.

We still had the old M-1941 pack system then. The hook from my pack that attached to the back of my cartridge belt came loose and rubbed a huge bloody sore on my back in less than an hour. Just one more day in the Corps. :beer:

The rappelling was my favorite part. I fell while rock climbing, and although my belay man caught me, I failed to find much joy in climbing cliff faces anymore.

Hussar
07-08-07, 09:21 PM
Wow that sounds really interesting. I'd love to go once I enlist. My whole family comes from the Tatra mountains and all of them men who served in the military were in the Podhale rifles, which are Poland's mountain infantry.

ggyoung
07-09-07, 01:52 PM
Been there in the somertime. Was stationed nearby at MCB Hawthorn, Nev.

chili77bowl
07-09-07, 08:51 PM
Primarily infantry units go to Mountain Warfare School, and often support units go along as well. Individuals can go to certain courses they hold, such as mountain leader courses, and at one time, mule skinner school.

Aaaahhh yes, the A$$packer course.

I did two summer packages with 3/4.

Quite fun actually...:cool:

Quinbo
07-10-07, 04:51 AM
I went to summer mountain leaders. The class started with 40 and graduated 11. Along with everything else mentioned we were taught glacier travel and ice climbing.

Old Marine
07-10-07, 06:55 AM
Was there in 1953 for the course and then straight to Korea. Cold as hell and lots of snow. Not my most favorite place.

Skyray
11-11-07, 01:54 PM
The grunt CO must have been a mountain goat in a previous life.
I had to laugh at this. I was there in the summer of '62 or '63 for survival school (It all kind of melds together when you are having so much fun.) The school was two weeks long and I gained four pounds. My team found a mountain lion kill (sheep) and being marines we appropriated it. I have never had a taste for mutton since, with or without mint jelly. The team went from a nineteen year old 2/Lt whom thank providence was junior to me, to a 46 year old staff sergeant who was pretty sedentary. Part of the curriculum was a long mountain trek, and keeping the lieutenant slowed down to the pace the SSGT could maintain was my first practical experience in applied leadership. I finally made him a scout to look for the enemy and sent him out ahead of us. Then all I had to worry about was staying in contact with him.

mass
11-12-07, 09:08 PM
So your platoon has to get assigned to this? or do you volunteer?

Higgs
11-27-07, 09:27 AM
Does anyone know what the Insrtuctors course is like for any of these courses. Re-enlisting and thinking of going to be an instructor up there, looking for any information on it from any one who has had recent experience with the place. Thanks.

Quinbo
11-27-07, 09:35 AM
Does anyone know what the Insrtuctors course is like for any of these courses. Re-enlisting and thinking of going to be an instructor up there, looking for any information on it from any one who has had recent experience with the place. Thanks.

When I attended summer mountain leaders there was a student in our class that was slated to be an instructor. He was unable to complete the course and I'm not sure if he was recycled or sent back to the fleet. To answer your questions the instructors are initially trained to be instructors by completing the courses. I would guess they are mentored by other instructors for a while after that.

SlingerDun
12-05-07, 04:52 PM
My Old Pard 'GovtPacker' was an outfitter at Yosemite and a civilian contracter at Bridgeport. If a Marine didn't get efficient at packin and jerkin mules under the salty watch of that ole hand, they weren't coachable.

--->Dave

MARINESS
02-08-08, 05:08 PM
I was an Instructor at MCMWTC for 3 years.

Nez46
02-14-08, 06:00 PM
I want to go Recon will this mean that i will go to Mountain Warfare school if i make it cause i think i have to but im not sure.

Zulu 36
02-14-08, 06:21 PM
I want to go Recon will this mean that i will go to Mountain Warfare school if i make it cause i think i have to but im not sure.

How about you worry about making it through boot camp first. Also, is this A question, SEVERAL questions, or A statement?

Nez46
02-14-08, 06:56 PM
How about you worry about making it through boot camp first. Also, is this A question, SEVERAL questions, or A statement?

With all do respect Sergeant isnt this room talking about Mountain Warfare school.

Zulu 36
02-14-08, 07:47 PM
With all do respect Sergeant isnt this room talking about Mountain Warfare school.

Yes, this thread is about MWS. However, your question/questions/statement is very confusing. It also presupposes your making it through boot camp, which should be your primary concern at this stage, not going to MWS as a Reconman.

A little legal tip for your future military career. Never say, "With all due respect," then fail to give the respect due. It's an admission of guilt which will be brought up at the Office Hours or Court-Martial you will get. It's sea lawyer crap.

You really need to work on your grammar, spelling, and punctuation. That would help make your written communication less confusing to others.

Nez46
02-16-08, 10:19 AM
Yes, this thread is about MWS. However, your question/questions/statement is very confusing. It also presupposes your making it through boot camp, which should be your primary concern at this stage, not going to MWS as a Reconman.

A little legal tip for your future military career. Never say, "With all due respect," then fail to give the respect due. It's an admission of guilt which will be brought up at the Office Hours or Court-Martial you will get. It's sea lawyer crap.

You really need to work on your grammar, spelling, and punctuation. That would help make your written communication less confusing to others.

I apologize about the way i said that. I should have asked, Do Recons go to Mountain Warfare School?

Zulu 36
02-16-08, 10:59 AM
I apologize about the way i said that. I should have asked, Do Recons go to Mountain Warfare School?

Mucho better and apology accepted.

Now to answer your very straight forward question. Recon people do indeed go to MWS as it would be a critical aspect of their skill sets.

When I went to MWS in 1975, Recon people essentially ran the mountain warfare part -rappelling, rock climbing, etc. My unit had a Force Recon type as our personal instructor who was a certifiable nut-case. He was like a mountain goat and we loved him. Great ropes instructor.

Nez46
02-17-08, 09:05 AM
Mucho better and apology accepted.

Now to answer your very straight forward question. Recon people do indeed go to MWS as it would be a critical aspect of their skill sets.

When I went to MWS in 1975, Recon people essentially ran the mountain warfare part -rappelling, rock climbing, etc. My unit had a Force Recon type as our personal instructor who was a certifiable nut-case. He was like a mountain goat and we loved him. Great ropes instructor.

Thank you. It all sounds like fun almost lol. I watched a show on the military channel on MWS. Ithink summer would be alright, but the winter seems a little cold.

ttracker65
02-18-08, 02:01 AM
SON A LITTLE COLD IS LAYING ON THE ICE AT NIGHTMARE RANGE UP ON THE DMZ IN KOREA DOING AN LP. IT IS SOME THING YOU GET USED TO.:iwo:

Brewer0311
02-18-08, 09:40 AM
And to keep your from answering a bunch of "If i make recon do we go do this?" questions. Your answer will 99% of the time be yes if it is dealing with a special school.

Nez46
02-18-08, 01:19 PM
Yes i bet laying on the ice is very cold. I had a sergeant tell me one time while i was running with him, he said that the cold, it was all in my mind. I think it is.

ttracker65
02-18-08, 06:14 PM
The best thing Boot can teach a Marine is to place the mind in a state of "bullet proof" allow to absorb the uncomfortable and painful understanding that it is only a thing and it shall pass. You should learn to embrase this concept because it is the building block for most of your spec training ie MWF, JEST, E & E and Pow training all use this technique. Remember this later on when times are tough because again this too shall pass. Good Luck to you ttracker65

Nez46
02-19-08, 08:37 PM
The best thing Boot can teach a Marine is to place the mind in a state of "bullet proof" allow to absorb the uncomfortable and painful understanding that it is only a thing and it shall pass. You should learn to embrase this concept because it is the building block for most of your spec training ie MWF, JEST, E & E and Pow training all use this technique. Remember this later on when times are tough because again this too shall pass. Good Luck to you ttracker65

Thank you, its nice to be motivated by a older Marine every once and a while. I will remember your advice. Good luck to you to ;) .

ttracker65
02-19-08, 09:09 PM
Nez46 one more thing.....your real cold weather training will take place in Amchitka Alaska, Minnasota state side or Nightmare Korea, Camp Fugi, Japan FMF PAC

Nez46
02-20-08, 12:02 PM
Nez46 one more thing.....your real cold weather training will take place in Amchitka Alaska, Minnasota state side or Nightmare Korea, Camp Fugi, Japan FMF PAC

Yeah i have heard alot about the cold in Korea. Frozen Chosen. When my time comes to train or fight in cold weather i will remember your advice.

ttracker65
02-20-08, 12:14 PM
:tank: When your hand freezes to the barrel of your 16, your pee is frozen before it hits the ground and diesel turns to frozen BB's will you pray for the fires in Hell
A Cpl B Exercerpt from Nightmare Range Korea the X-Mas of 1981 :tank:

Nez46
02-20-08, 12:53 PM
:tank: When your hand freezes to the barrel of your 16, your pee is frozen before it hits the ground and diesel turns to frozen BB's will you pray for the fires in Hell
A Cpl B Exercerpt from Nightmare Range Korea the X-Mas of 1981 :tank:

Sounds like a nightmare. You know its cold when diesel frezes. I like the rifle on your profile picture. What kind of rifle is that? Like an AR-15 or something??

Brewer0311
02-20-08, 03:38 PM
Looks like an AR15 with a leupold scope and the ejection port cover open. I know that's not a proper weapon condition Corporal :marine: . Very nice rifle though is all I really wanted to add. :yes:

ttracker65
02-20-08, 06:20 PM
To confirm "it" i assume you mean my weapon is an
Bushmaster XM-15 E2S M4 A3 with Leatherwood M-600 ART scope
and the ejection cover is open considering the pic was taken this
last fall right after shooting assualt class at the KCR machine gun
shoot...fyi Young Pups The Knob Creek Range machine gun shoot
is the worlds largest with regulars such as GySgt Earmie from Mail
Call. The sprining shoot will be held April 11th to the 13th hope to
see ya all there Locked, Cocked and Ready to Rock
PS my Weapon is of the 6.8 SPC Breed

Nez46
02-20-08, 07:18 PM
To confirm "it" i assume you mean my weapon is an
Bushmaster XM-15 E2S M4 A3 with Leatherwood M-600 ART scope
and the ejection cover is open considering the pic was taken this
last fall right after shooting assualt class at the KCR machine gun
shoot...fyi Young Pups The Knob Creek Range machine gun shoot
is the worlds largest with regulars such as GySgt Earmie from Mail
Call. The sprining shoot will be held April 11th to the 13th hope to
see ya all there Locked, Cocked and Ready to Rock
PS my Weapon is of the 6.8 SPC Breed

The Rifle is nice. Name is a little long lol. But yeah M4 I want one.;) :beer:

ttracker65
02-20-08, 07:28 PM
IF big if you make it to a Spec unit you will get your wish only of the
M-468 breed or the M-16 A4 A3 only difference is that the M-16 fires 5.56
and the M-468 fires the 6.8 SPC (special purpose cartridge)
from Barret Arms

Nez46
02-21-08, 07:11 AM
IF big if you make it to a Spec unit you will get your wish only of the
M-468 breed or the M-16 A4 A3 only difference is that the M-16 fires 5.56
and the M-468 fires the 6.8 SPC (special purpose cartridge)
from Barret Arms

I have heard the ACOG optic for the M16 decreases accuracy. Is this true??

ttracker65
02-21-08, 11:46 AM
All optics are created for a situation/putpose. When used for other than intended it can have that effect. the ACOG opics system is a solid system when used for the purposes intended.

Nez46
02-21-08, 11:50 AM
All optics are created for a situation/putpose. When used for other than intended it can have that effect. the ACOG opics system is a solid system when used for the purposes intended.

Oh okay. I know that for all purposes iron sights is the best all around and most accruate.

ttracker65
02-21-08, 12:03 PM
Iron sight's Are the meat of your sighting systems that is why you will still have Iron sights (flip up) even with the ACOG.
in close quarters ie door to door, in house invasion iron sight's are useless. You need quick sighting such as holo or laser

Zulu 36
02-21-08, 12:53 PM
Iron sight's Are the meat of your sighting systems that is why you will still have Iron sights (flip up) even with the ACOG.
in close quarters ie door to door, in house invasion iron sight's are useless. You need quick sighting such as holo or laser

I hate to disagree, but I must. Iron sights work just fine in CQB. In fact, in SWAT we wouldn't let anyone use laser sights because too many red dots flying around, which one is yours? Can't always tell, and as a police officer, you got to know 100%.

I've done many CQB courses and shoot houses with iron sights. I also did all my real building entries with iron sights and a SureLight attachment on my MP-5, shotgun, or M16. KISS. You can get on target faster with iron than using a laser or optics in CQB. An exception might be a ghost ring sight.

Optics are great when you have some distance and/or have a fairly stable shooting position. Lasers are good when only ONE guy is using them as the designated shooter in deliberate shooting situations (home defense is one possible situation).

ttracker65
02-21-08, 04:22 PM
The Hologaph option i mentioned as well as laser gives the shooter the advantage of locking on a target without having a "stok weild" ie check to stock option which in reality most of the time you do not have the time to employ Holo all you have to do is put the target into the ring it does not matter the angle. Laser you put the dot on the target. I commend you if you have found an enemy that will give you the time to have sight alignment and sight picture..... unless you are a point and spray kinda guy in that case you must be a pretty strong fella for all the ammo you must pack with you. Although your kill count must be pretty high for all the collaterel kills you ring up from unsuspecting civilians that get in your beaten zone....just a thought. by the way i compete with a bunch of SWAT, ATF,FRT as well as general law enforcement.

Nez46
02-21-08, 10:08 PM
The Hologaph option i mentioned as well as laser gives the shooter the advantage of locking on a target without having a "stok weild" ie check to stock option which in reality most of the time you do not have the time to employ Holo all you have to do is put the target into the ring it does not matter the angle. Laser you put the dot on the target. I commend you if you have found an enemy that will give you the time to have sight alignment and sight picture..... unless you are a point and spray kinda guy in that case you must be a pretty strong fella for all the ammo you must pack with you. Although your kill count must be pretty high for all the collaterel kills you ring up from unsuspecting civilians that get in your beaten zone....just a thought. by the way i compete with a bunch of SWAT, ATF,FRT as well as general law enforcement.

Oh i did not know when the M16 have the ACOG Optic on it you could still use the Iron sights. Thats cool. I agree if your going into close quaters the best is Iron but im not the expert. You guys are lol:beer:

Nez46
02-21-08, 10:08 PM

Oh i did not know when the M16 have the ACOG Optic on it you could still use the Iron sights. Thats cool. I agree if your going into close quaters the best is Iron but im not the expert. You guys are lol:beer:

ttracker65
02-21-08, 10:35 PM
Nez46 I feel that I have let you poolies down in allowing this discussion to go on any further. This post is supposed to be on USMCMTWC not on the black rifle. I shall put you on my buddy list and you may e-mail me on the topic of optics. But as a sudgestion stick with what the Corps is useing because this is the knowledge you need to further your career in the USMC. We who shoot A Comp. are not held to the military standards of equipment that you will be held to. A good referance on the Black rifle capabilities and on advanced configurations as well as advanced optics can be found at
<WWW.AR15.COM.forums> my handle on this site is trac-rat and you can message me there or at <ThePennsylvaniaAR15ShootersSite@groups.msn.com> and my handle there is tracker1980unitedstates
Cpl B :tank:

ttracker65
02-22-08, 07:26 AM
It has come to my attention that there is a load prob with AR15.COM so you will need to 1) go to ..AR15.COM . 2) join the site (it is free) then the Administraters will allow you to message members as well as access the different companys selling/showing off their different configs Note with most companies they have a different area for Military/LE applications

Nez46
02-22-08, 12:57 PM
I was kinda wonderting when you where going to say that. Yes i understand thanks for the add.

dutch1291
02-28-08, 10:32 PM
How do you get an invitation to go to the Mountain Warfare Training Center?

fade2black
03-28-08, 11:15 AM
I don't think you get "invited" to MWTC. When I went, my entire battalion went as a unit and trained for about 32 days or so. Best deployment I went on. I had so much fun I went back to the training area as a civilian (the "classroom" is right by the road) many years later just to watch. :)

Quinbo
03-28-08, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure if you would call it an invitation but there are 4 different schools there for individuals to attend. The schools are Summer Mountain Leaders, Winter Mountain Leaders, Summer Survival, and Winter Survival.

The only other way is if your unit is sent there to train as a unit.

darkgreen0311
03-28-08, 12:09 PM
I remember spending about 30 days at Bridgeport Cold Weather Training up in the Sierra Nevadas,That was some good training our whole Battalion went also.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

ramayn2430
03-28-08, 07:33 PM
Post attempt, (message to follow)

ramayn2430
03-28-08, 07:57 PM
Fun place IF you were base personnel when I was there in 1980. HQ Bn. comm. co. 1st mar. div. would support each battalion by maintaining HF comm. between div. and the bn. in the field. I'd be on a team of a half dozen comm. people assigned to base TAD. I remember we had a wooden hut near the grunts' tents, or we slept in a quonset hut up on the hill with base. Cushy duty all-around for us. NIce little e-club. I remember the base CO had an AK-47 hanging over the bar, and some other Russian stuff. Division thought base was watching us, base thought the battalions were, All we had to do was fire up the TSC-15 comm. van in the morning, and shut it down at night. Then we were on our own to fish to our heart's content. What great fishing. Anybody been fishingt here lately? Trout in some places like trout you find in northern Canada.

colt59
03-29-08, 07:45 PM
I was there in late 1979 early 80. We were training for a NATO float and Operation ANORAK EXPRESS in Norway. Cold, Cold, Cold,,,. We were advanced party. We got to set up the base camp. We set up about 300 tents. They flew us in to some Naval Air Station in Nevada (about 70 degrees) we were bussed to Camp Pickel Meadows about a 3 hour drive and it was 10 degrees. My God, what a shock to your system. Cold weather training at Fort Drum, NY in the winter of 79 was brutal cold too. Still the coldest was 300 miles above the Arctic circle in Norway. We were engineers (bulk fuel, heavy junk, and motor T). They issued us white camo. What a waste of time. I know they had to throw away all the camo, it was so filthy. Still, I loved every minute of it. None of the silly crap and boredom that you got at Lejeune. Nothing like an LST in the North Atlantic, for a wild ride. USS Newport, AMPHIBS rule!! I don't beleive I'm sitting here missing this. Somebody beat me about the head and shoulders!!

turferpsu
04-01-08, 08:34 AM
I was there in October of '86 and what a great time it was. Climbing all the cliff faces and learning how to tie the knots and crosss rope bridges that were over 100' in the air. We also went to the top of a hill called 9595 boy that was a great acomplishment for the batt. Then coming down I remember a store on the side of the road tiny store I wish I could remember the name. While there we were giving a 96 and went to Reno and was that great lost all my money and got very drunk. After MWTC we took a very long bus ride to 29 Palms for desert traing and live fire exercise.

Well it was wonderful to revisit this again

Mike Cimino
SEMPER FI

ramayn2430
04-03-08, 07:46 PM
Lost a lot of $$$$ in Reno on liberty too, turferpsu. Whole paycheck, (about $200.00) I'm trying to remember a store on the side of the road... The memory is foggy we had so much fun there. I remember I got sent back up in 1982 with 1/5. TOTALLY different experience. I requested Okinawa while I was with 1st mar. div. HQ mainside at Pendleton. My CO had a great idea-he called 1/5 CO and asked if anybody wanted to switch for the deployment to 9th marines on Oki. I remember checking into 1/5, going from my beautiful BEQ overlooking everything mainside at Pendleton, and walking into an open squadbay in area 15 with 6 inches of sewage covering the deck because the sewers backed up. After Okinawa deployment I went to Bridgeport with 1/5 for a month. I was lucky I had made connects with base personnel so I could hide on the hill. Last night at Bridgeport we got drunk and some dummies shut the kerosene off to all the tents. Threatened us with courts martial. I wish I wasn't drunk so much, or I kept a journal so I could remember more. I was lucky to be a REMF for most of my time...

AndrewSavoca
05-02-08, 12:10 AM
Nobody has posted in this thread for a while but I was stationed there from January 1st, 1979 untill April of 2001.. Most people training at the time new me as a part time Bar Tender or Cook that owned the Tuna Boat.. otherwise I worked in Communications on the base.. had fun with some of the training once in a while just for kicks but alot of hiking, gold panning and skiiing on my off days.. back then it was all Quonset Huts and such, it looks like it has changed alot since I was there.

Quinbo
05-02-08, 05:41 AM
There was /is a store on the side of the road ... it was about 10 miles east of pickle meadows. I can't remember the name of the highway but you hit a junction in the road and left took you to Carson City, right took you to that store.
There was a little casino right on the Nevada border. They had two over easy, hashbrowns, toast, and a ham steak for $1.99. Go in there and order 2 of the special. Eat like a king for 4 bucks ;)

ramayn2430
06-14-08, 09:06 PM
Did you work the switchboard, Savoca?

ameriken
10-23-08, 05:24 PM
I was there from June 1979 to June 1980 on TAD from CamPen. I remember an a-hole 1st Sgt shot and killed SSGT Easter in the Pickel Barrel. Easter was a good guy. Cant remember the guys name who shot him.

I also remember LtCol Guy......after the death of John Wayne, he declared a base holiday for "John Wayne Day".

ramayn2430
12-26-08, 08:59 PM
Yeah, Col. Guy was a hard-charger. Said his dream in life ws to lead a battalion into Moscow. &quot;Picke Barrel&quot; was fun. Used to serve a great stout-&quot;Tooth's Sheaf Stout&quot; from Australia.

GruntDoc8404
01-04-09, 04:50 AM
Was a Corpsman with the 7th Engineer Bn sent to MWTC in 1974 on TDY for 30 days. Ended up requesting an extention to stay which was eagerly granted by Pendleton since no one at Pendleton wanted to go...

yellowwing
01-04-09, 08:57 AM
Welcome aboard Doc. It's great to hear these Legends first hand. :thumbup:

mcsgt3522
01-05-09, 10:46 PM
I renlisted two times to go to and stay at MCMWTC you got to love up there or NOT and I'm from SC don't figure Sgt. Smitty

SSgt Ramsey
03-20-09, 08:51 AM
I tried and tried to get assigned to the MCMWTS as a Sergeant 1345 after attending Journeyman School at Ft Leonard Wood MO. That would have been a blast, and I always wanted to work with bridge-company also. Never happened.

I did do Cold-Weather-Training in Norway during Battle Griffin 99 and I must say that was a miserable experience living in tents w/aircraft pre-heaters just a bit shy of the Artic Circle at a FARP Site.

Having tents collapse on you in the dead of night from the weight of the snow is NOT a fun thing lol...

Old Marine
03-20-09, 09:52 AM
I went through Pickel Meadows in 1953 prior to going to Korea. In the winter it is a very cold place and living in snow is not my cup of tea. Mickey Mouse Boots cold weather gear including a Parka with fur around the face, it didn't matter as it was very cold. It is however a great place to go trout fishing in the summer.

TexasDvlDog
03-20-09, 01:31 PM
That was my very first duty station! I was permanent personell stationed at MCMWTC from June '85 to July '87. I worked in the Motor Pool (Motor-T). We lived in Quanson Huts my first year there while the barracks were completed. Being a South Texas boy I had never experienced freezing weather or snow until my first winter there! I had a blast though. and yes the fishing was great! The walker river (across from Hwy 108) was always good for some rainbow trout. I spent the next 20 years trying to get back there after I left for Okinawa.

p.s. We used to call the training units "HERPES" because just like a cold sore they would come and go after awhile. Also heard that MGySgt John Marjonov died a few years ago. RIP.

colt59
07-26-09, 07:53 PM
Anybody want to see some pictures of Pickel Meadows? I got a whole bunch from 1979-80. It'll give me an excuse to scan them. I just remember I humped a stainless steel 105mm shell casing down that I souvenired from the top of one of the mountains. I also remember a horrifying ride down the mountain in a 5 ton dumptruck with a nutcase named Peterson.

Hologram
07-26-09, 08:24 PM
I'd be happy to see them.

GruntDoc8404
07-26-09, 08:26 PM
That would be GREAT, Colt59~~

I didnt get a chance to take many back in '74-'75 when I was stationed there with the Engineers (7th Eng Bn).

:)

colt59
07-26-09, 08:54 PM
I carried one of those cheap Kodak 110 cameras. It went thru two floats, cold weather training, mountain warfare training, an Arctic Circle operation, drunken brawls, drunken not-brawls, just plain old drunken. It was broken once, I threw it at somebody in a club in Bergen Norway (It still worked after I put it back together). Best camera ever made. I think I lost it (along with my mind) after I got out.

colt59
07-26-09, 09:02 PM
Will do, give me a little time though. I have to scan them.

colt59
07-27-09, 04:05 PM
I've started some. This is a shot of base camp and tent city from one of the mountains also someone's Harley chopper. I apologize for the size, but the pictures were all stuck in the album and I had to scan the whole page. I will need to edit them in some sort of photo program to get them bigger.

ramayn2430
07-27-09, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the memories. I went through mine and found very few. MOst out of focus from obvious reasons.

SlingerDun
07-27-09, 08:20 PM
I carried one of those cheap Kodak 110 cameras.... Best camera ever made.I haven't seen anything digital that can compare. I had a 110 that never suffered a dunking but bounced around in my saddle bags with fencing pliers, sandwich's and the stainless schnapps canteen during a cold snap... -40 maybe -50.... The thing still worked once the moving parts thawed out

--->Dave

colt59
07-27-09, 09:09 PM
Here's a better photo off of that album page and a few more

colt59
07-27-09, 09:17 PM
Here's some more. An explanation of the MP in the prior post. We were getting busted for be in an unauthorized area (The Big Rock).

colt59
07-27-09, 09:34 PM
notice the sign by the corner of the truck mirror 7000 ft altitude. Another base camp shot from higher up. A snow hooch, The small sign says Wolf Creek (remember the song by CW McCall?), The big sign is for Pickel Meadows,

colt59
07-27-09, 09:47 PM
Here's the aforementioned 7000 ft altitude truck mirror picture and some more. Cpl Tharpe and the too tall tent. For some reason the center support posts for this tent were a foot taller than the others. It was a bear to put up for just two guys (me and him). Sgt Bustamante fearlessly (notice he's standing on a canvas and wood tent) putting out a fire in the heater stack. The fearless warriors getting ready to hump into the mountains. And yours truly casually leaning against a generator.

colt59
07-27-09, 09:54 PM
The plane courtesy of our friends the Air Force, loading in the rain, crammed like sardines, Fallon NAS at sundown, beautiful, and finely back to sunny Camp Lejeune (Oh My God more snow!!)

colt59
07-27-09, 09:59 PM
Here's some more. An explanation of the MP in the prior post. We were getting busted for be in an unauthorized area (The Big Rock).

The blurred shot is a 50 mph drive down an 8% grade with the nutcase Peterson pictured by the 5 ton with the open hood. Notice his crazed expression, The party picture is the one prior to me throwing up in my sleeping bag, "snow baths"

ameriken
07-28-09, 12:19 AM
Great pics Colt, thats they way I remember it. Today it looks like a college campus.

I was there from 79-80, your name rings a bell.

colt59
07-28-09, 07:39 AM
Great pics Colt, thats they way I remember it. Today it looks like a college campus.

I was there from 79-80, your name rings a bell.

They all look like college campuses now. I visited Lejeune about two years ago, No more wooden squad bays. All the barracks look like hotels. Even Jacksonville had changed drastically, I wanted to show the old lady Court Street. It was gone!! There were shopping malls! Where are all the titty bars, tattoo parlors, and pawn shops? Where is Louis Wilson? After he left as commandant, the Marines started to change into a more PC outfit. Hence my change in career paths to civilian. Couldn't re-up, because the Corps wanted to have a cleaner image. I knew plenty of Staff NCO's that were scared to death, because they had to get GEDs or retire. DSMs, Silver Stars, it didn't matter, NO GED = your history.

GruntDoc8404
07-29-09, 02:30 AM
Thanks Colt59!!! Great flashbacks!! Got More??

It was great being "permanent party" at Pickel Meadows!! Got away with lots of stuff!! No MP's back then--- just a crotchety Colonel that would skin your ass alive if need be! We learned his limitations pretty fast and gave him a wide berth!! You guys had the tents down below, we had the Quonsett Huts up on the terraced hill!!

We reopened it from being a "mothballed" base back in '74-'75... Things certainly HAVE changed!! Drove by there a few years back and I didnt recognize it!

...don't like it, either!! This PC crap is for the birds! It's gonna be our "un-doing"

colt59
07-29-09, 08:32 AM
I'm going to shoot the moon with my pictures. I'll try and explain most. Some are just scenery. I can't tell you exact places most were taken, just "up in the mountains". A little history. I was part of the advanced party to prepare for a training operation for what was to become MSSG-36 (we went to Norway (another story, another thread). We came into Pickel Meadows in October 79 and left, (I believe) in early January 80. There was supposed to be about 6 million feet of snow, but the region had experienced a particularly dry season and the only snow was in the mountains. Cold on the other hand was abundent. It was relatively nice during the day, but at night, below zero (alot like Norway, constant cold is Fort Drum NY, again another thread another time). Two sleeping bags and fully dressed sleeping weather. I was with the Engineers and operated heavy Vehicles = dump trucks, low boys. We set up the base camp (lots of tents) and got to participate in training as well (double the fun). I walked in snow shoes (you'll need them), dragged an Akio (hopefully correct spelling), and learned not to walk in the snow where you are going to sleep (kind of like sleeping on cobblestones). We got liberty once to Carson City. We were told by the First Sgt before we left, "You won't need no civilian ****. There ain't know liberty". Anyway, we needed civvys and there was a little PX on base and I bought a pair of Levi's, kept the tags on them, went to Carson, drank and *****d, and returned them the next day. Drinking and whatever, were what we did the most to pass the off time. There is nothing like burning ****ter's with a bad hangover. The night sky was beautiful, there were so many stars!! I remember one night, me and a couple buddies in an enhanced state, just stood and looked at the sky for what seemed like hours. Huge trees, pine cones as big as melons. Anyway, here goes, I might dupicate some. Sorry. I'm starting with the trip out and ending with the last days. The first pictures are at supply, drawing gear at Lejeune, the flight out from some Air Force base in NC. (1) Cpl Tharpe, Lcpl Peterson, (2) Lcpl Fairchild, (3) In the distance, the colorful Cpl Royce (4) Lcpl Fairchild again (5) loading into the ass-end of a Air Force C-141 in the rain.

colt59
07-29-09, 08:45 AM
(1) PFC Bill Page and the C-141, (2) permanent base, (3) more permanent base Quonset Huts, (4) mountains across the valley from our tent (5) more mountains. The pictures don't do them justice, These were HUGE

colt59
07-29-09, 08:54 AM
(1) Mountains from the chopper pad, (2) a view of the base from a mountain side, (3) somebody in permanent personnel's Harley chopper, (4) A CH-53 dusting us. This place was super dusty. When the choppers came in it was especially bad. (5) Scenery

colt59
07-29-09, 09:10 AM
7785(1) scenery, (2) There is a cross on this hill (the exact reason, I don't remember, I think a chopper crash or someone dying, anybody now?) (3) The burning stack (4) the burning stack getting worse (5) The big rock

colt59
07-29-09, 09:25 AM
(1-5) All of these rae from or of the big rock. There is a photo of an MP busting us for being on this rock in an earlier posting. For GruntDoc -We brought these guys with us, they weren't part of permanant personnel.

colt59
07-29-09, 09:38 AM
(1) Sgt Bustamante with a huge pine cone that he has mistaken for his johnson. taken from on top the big rock. (2-5) scenery

colt59
07-29-09, 09:47 AM
(1) scenery (2) me standing coldly in the snow (3) Cpl Pusha after having slipped in the snow (4) Cpl Pusha busting the myth about the size of black guys. He is writing his name in the snow. (5) snowbaths

colt59
07-29-09, 09:57 AM
(1) snowbaths again (2) this guy is trying to take a dump. This is a chore out in the cold. Too much clothing to remove. You learn to hold it for as long as possible until you have a fair amount of time. (3) scenery (4) looking up into a huge tree (picture does not do it justice) (5) scenery

colt59
07-29-09, 10:05 AM
(1-2) scenery (3-4) views of the valley from higher up (5) a different angle of base camp. I believe this is the start of my horrifying ride down the mountain with Lcpl Peterson

colt59
07-29-09, 10:23 AM
These are all of the wild ride down the mountain with Peterson. Again pictures don't do it justice. We had dropped off supplies to some artillery guys and were coming back down the mountain. Peterson only liked to use the gas petal and down shifting was not in his vocabulary. This dirt road was 8 to 10 % grade with sheer cliffs up and down on both sides (no where to go) we went down going about 50 mph. Hairpins, switchbacks, s-turns. I suppose I was attempting to chronical my last days on Earth in pictures.

colt59
07-29-09, 10:27 AM
These are more ride down the mountain pics. This is one of the few times I wasn't driving and was able to take pictures.

colt59
07-29-09, 10:39 AM
(1) End of the wild ride at a hard surface road (I'm still alive and I need a drink) (2) Cpl George Tharpe of Georgia, This guy was with me throughout my entire 4 years just about. He was super laid back. We experienced some brutal times together. (3) getting the tents aired out

Trucrimsongold
07-29-09, 10:48 AM
I attended Mountain Warfare training at Bridgeport back in 1990. I was in 1/7 Weapons Company Heavy Guns Platoon. Lt Col Mattis was a hardcore leader. We went straight from there and cut our fifty mile end training motivation hump short (thank god) to go back to 29stumps in preperation for going to Saudi. It was excellent training. Sorry to hear they are closing it down. Beautiful countryside. excellent training. It helped me get over my fear of heights nodoubt.

ameriken
07-29-09, 01:03 PM
Really great pics Colt, brings back many memories! MWTC was my favorite duty station.

ameriken
07-29-09, 01:05 PM
Sorry to hear they are closing it down. What's this? They're closing it down? This is the first I've heard of that... :cry:

colt59
07-29-09, 01:59 PM
I liked Pickel Meadows too, for the little time I was there. I think as permanent personnel, I would have liked it better. I missed showers and real toilets to want to be there as TAD all the time. I was a ship/TAD kind of guy. Being at one place too long made me bored and thus stupid. When I was on ship or TAD = meritorious masts. Back at Lejeune = article 15s.

I think Trucrimsongold is refering to 29 Stumps. Hope there not closing Pickel Meadows too

GruntDoc8404
07-29-09, 07:08 PM
I heard scuttlebutt say they are keeping Pickel Meadows open and humming since the terrain is similar to Afghanistan highlands and looks like we're gonna be there for a while so might as well train the boys in high altitude and cold!

Colt: Thanks for the memories!! We had running water, real crappers (8 open bay crappers and a stainless steel trough to whizz in!) and real showers with hot and cold water!! One communal "Head" Quonset hut per 2 rows of barrack Quonsets!! Ahhhh, it was nice as permanent party!!

Plus, in my Sick Bay, I always stocked 4-5 full "Mount-Out" Boxes full of medicinal brandy for "hypothermia"!! Amazing how quickly we went though all of it!! Weather wasnt even cold yet!! Pendleton never complained and kept us/me supplied!!

The grunts were down below freezing their collective asses in those tents! Got down to 54 below that winter! Had to use thermometers with the red juice (alcohol) because the mercury thermometers would solidify and wouldnt register the temp!! downtown Bridgeport was like driving in a white snow tunnel. Youhad to stick your nose way out to see if cross traffic was coming. the snow banks were 8-10 feet high!

We had a couple of those (now banned, I bet!) oil burning stoves that dripped old crankcase oil from a 5 gal jerry can, in each Quonsett for heat. Motor pool always had plenty of that old sulpherated oil!

Ahhh!! Thanks!! I'd love to be able to snag a downloadable file of all those scans!! Any shots of the old quonset hut terraces up topside??

There's a couple of YouTube movies taken up at Pickel Meadows as a documentary. An 8 or 9 part documentary that sgows the area pretty well. There's also a 1950's vintage movie of the base thats out there!

colt59
07-29-09, 07:53 PM
All the pictures that I have are posted. Hey Doc, shoot me your email and I'll send you the scans. They're bigger.

I had my first Coors beer there in Bridgeport, some little bar. We were in work uniforms and driving military trucks, but when you need drink!! I also had my last PBR beer there on base. Corporal Royce told me that I went after somebody with a knife and that everytime they were able to wrestle one knife away from me, I came up with another. They took six. I burned ****ters the next day as punishment. Hungover and the smell was horrible. I puked all morning. I haven't drank PBR since.

ameriken
07-30-09, 09:51 AM
I liked Pickel Meadows too, for the little time I was there. I think as permanent personnel, I would have liked it better. I missed showers and real toilets to want to be there as TAD all the time. I was a ship/TAD kind of guy. Being at one place too long made me bored and thus stupid. When I was on ship or TAD = meritorious masts. Back at Lejeune = article 15s.

I think Trucrimsongold is refering to 29 Stumps. Hope there not closing Pickel Meadows tooI got pretty lucky with MWTC. I was with the 1st FSSG, and we went up there for 30 days in Jan 79 with a grunt unit while they did cold weather training. I loved every minute of that place. Back in Pendelton a few months later our CO said they needed 2 Marines to TAD in MWTC. They asked for volunteers to put their names in a hat. I hated Pendelton, so I put my name in....and amazingly they drew it. So, I got transferred to MWTC with my main job was running the base theater and showing films to the grunts that came up there. Easiest job in the world and one of the best times of my life. Needless to say, I extended my TAD another 6 months. Was there from Jun 79 to Jun 80. :thumbup:

perfectcircle
08-02-09, 12:39 PM
Good afternoon, by "individuals may attend," would this be something a Reservists could attend?

TJKUSMC
08-19-09, 09:50 PM
Yes reserves can go to Bridgeport..I actually just got back from Bridgeport about a month ago. Thank god I didn't have to go during the winter yet...since my unit is going in Feb. I will soon experience that "cold" everyone is talking about. The mountains sure did kick your butt...But we got beer after our final 2 week FEX. Good times...

Dan Galt
02-28-10, 09:16 PM
I was an Instructor at MCMWTC for 3 years.

What years were you there?

I was there from 1979 to 80 in supply.

Dan Galt
02-28-10, 09:18 PM
(1) Sgt Bustamante with a huge pine cone that he has mistaken for his johnson. taken from on top the big rock. (2-5) scenery

Were you permanent personnel or training unit in 79?

I was there from April 79 to June 80 Permanent personnel in supply.

usmcrro
03-15-10, 03:49 PM
What's this? They're closing it down? This is the first I've heard of that... :cry:
They won't be closing anytime soon, Sgt.

GuitarNineteen
03-16-10, 07:16 AM
Hey you guys.My daughters fiance is doing the army mountain warfare bit and is now in Afghanistan.I've been trying to get him to cross over to the few and the proud.Now he wants to be an instructor with a warant officer rank.Still trying.SF

colt59
04-08-10, 02:48 PM
Were you permanent personnel or training unit in 79?

I was there from April 79 to June 80 Permanent personnel in supply.

I was TAD for training

fmoyer
04-20-10, 02:17 PM
Was there I believe in 60 went E&E school, Rock climbing and then30 days on snow skis entire Company were to be ski troops. Was not a lot of fun. We were trucked up to the top of the mnt and the first night slept in pup tents woke up to 3ft of new snow and then we put up squad tents with oil stoves in them. Some of those stoves blew up and made a awful mess of soot and smoke all over all you gear as well as you.. used a shower tent and got to use it tywice a week if I remember right. Fun place, never visited base camp only passed through coming and going rode a 6X6 from Pentalton there and back.

MeeceSaddlery
07-06-10, 08:11 PM
I just joined this website and found this thread. I do not see any current posts but I have been an instructor at Bridgeport for the last 3 1/2 years; 1st 8 months as an instructor for Mountain Survival and Evasion and the rest as Instructor/Chief Instructor for Animal Packing. Its the greatest gig a cowboy could hope for in the Marine Corps

yellowwing
07-06-10, 08:28 PM
I just joined this website and found this thread. I do not see any current posts but I have been an instructor at Bridgeport for the last 3 1/2 years; 1st 8 months as an instructor for Mountain Survival and Evasion and the rest as Instructor/Chief Instructor for Animal Packing. Its the greatest gig a cowboy could hope for in the Marine Corps

Welcome Aboard Sgt Meese. We have quite few Cowboys on this ranch. Drives us Indin's crazy! :D

Dan Galt
07-07-10, 10:28 AM
Hey all,

We have a group on Facebook with some fun stuff from Pickel Meadows troops from the past and present.

Come join us.

The group name is "Pickle Meadows Memories".

I know I misspelled Pickel when I set up the group, but you are dealing with old jarheads here, so it is amazing the thing got set up at all. LOL.

Thanks for your service present and past.

Semper Fi.

LCP Dan Galt

csmithiowa
08-20-11, 12:50 AM
Awe the memories...
Tent City... Tents burning... metal runways... Snowing in feet instead of inches ... Quonset huts... Raking Rocks ... Kitty ... Poo... John Marjonov... Robby .... Butch... ... Birmingham... Russ... Robby... 1980 - 1982 memories at pickel meadows Sgt Smith

ramayn2430
08-20-11, 08:55 AM
Awe the memories...
Tent City... Tents burning... metal runways... Snowing in feet instead of inches ... Quonset huts... Raking Rocks ... Kitty ... Poo... John Marjonov... Robby .... Butch... ... Birmingham... Russ... Robby... 1980 - 1982 memories at pickel meadows Sgt Smith

I was there a few times during this time frame. Do you remember us from HQ Bn. Comm Co.? The first time we went we stayed in the wooden comm hut down near the tents. After that the made us stay up on the hill with the base personnel in a quonset hut. Somebody figured out that comm hut was a fire trap.

Two brothers were base personnel. I don't think they were twins-what were their names? Also, there was an Iranian guy stationed there. Used to catch a lot of flak. I remember he identified himself as "Persian" to keep the heat off.

I talked with Ameriken about Reininger who was the bulk fuel operator at the pumps. Good guy. From Hudson MA near me.

I'd like to visit some day, but after so long, I know the only things that haven't changed are the mountains.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself.

supredave
02-03-15, 01:25 AM
I live about 2 hours from the good old Pickle Meadows, see it a couple times a year going over the Sonora Pass, sure has changed allot over the years, in 87 my wife and I spent our honeymoon at Levit Lodge Campground for 3 months while I was TAD, love that base, I was with Truck Co HQ BN 1 st Mar Div and dot Lucky to be TAD on numerous occasions from 85-88 until I went to Okinawa