PDA

View Full Version : Here's my "Why I want to join" thread.

PhantomLord
08-07-08, 10:05 PM
Well I have had a classic case of those who are young and can't decide what to do for their future. My case, I have talent in art and music. I have enough in art that I have already created art for one of Maxims models, a few websites, including Yamaha's own site. I also have the ability to go to college and further that path...............for a small fee of $100,000. Ya, thats what I was thinkin to. Hell no. I've also had this want since I was a kid to be in the military. Pretty much the same ole same ole 6 year old boys infatuation with the military. So I have 15 choices in one hand and the Marine Corps in the other. I have decided to weight both by pro's and con's and as you might have guessed the Corps won.

So thats that.

Now for the bit about my character.

I'm an elitest at heart. Second place is the first to fail in my book. I have always been that way. I currently compete in triathlons and let me tell you, competeing in one of those and training for 'em will open your eye's to just how big of a man you really are. How self disciplined you are. How much heart you have. I have learned a lot about myself in this sport. Enough to convince me that if I can over come my self I can over come anything and I'm a firm believer.

I am also a person who takes challenges as serious as running from a pack of wolves. Everything is a challenge in my world and I do everything in my power to complete it first and nothing will stop me. I also live my live by the Seven Virtues of Bushido because it closely matches those of a Marines.

1. Benevolence
2. Courage
3. Honor
4. Justice
5. Loyalty
6. Politeness
7. Veracity

I live my life the knightly way so to speak.

The Marine Corps shares this type of life. The Marine Corps upholds these virtues as well. So, the Marine Corps is for me. I will be going next week to get things rolling for my career in the Marine Corps. I have decided that I want to join the fewer, the prouder, in Force Recon. Like I said, I'm an elitest. I want the hardest challenge I can get and thats it. Of course that isn't the only reason I want to join Force Recon let alone the Corps. I also want to serve my country, to protect those who cannot protect themselves, to strike down those who harm my familes or my countries well being. I want the adventure, the travel, the life style and the Marine Corps can give me that and even more.

So, soon I will be joining my countrymen, soon I will join the brotherhood that lives as though they were knights of the blade, soon I WILL become a Marine.:iwo:

Books
08-07-08, 10:26 PM
That's some motivating type right there, Phantom. USMC has some diverse talent. By the way, I don't think Force Recon exists anymore; I believe it got folded into MARSOC... someone correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, some folks will tell you the whole SF aspiration is a pipe-dream (most people don't understand how hard it is to get in) but SF folks aren't born on trees, and you seem as bright as anyone else, so if you want it bad enough, good luck! Go get it.

Travbabble
08-07-08, 10:32 PM
It's part of marsoc, but there's still recon units ;)

PhantomLord
08-07-08, 10:37 PM
Ya I keep forgetting its been reformed over into MARSOC now. It's just force of habit I guess. Thanks for correcting me though.

Yes, its def. going to be an extremely huge challenge. I have been researching on it, peoples experiences with getting in and after they got in, how to train to get in, etc. I have read and read for about a year and a half now. All thats left is doing it. The only concern I have is asthma. I was diagnosed with asthma when I was like 6 years old. I have obviously gotten past it since I compete in tri's but I didn't know if it would count against me when it comes to being an operative in MARSOC

davblay
08-07-08, 10:40 PM
How long did you get treated for it, and when did you stop getting treated for it?

Dave

PhantomLord
08-07-08, 10:42 PM
I have actually never REALLY been treated. It was one of those "let me give you an inhaler just incase" type situations. I haven't had an inhaler in the past 8 years if not more and the only reason I had them back then was because my other ones had expired. I have never relied on them, ever.

I have also never had an attack.

Travbabble
08-07-08, 10:46 PM
I have the same thing phantom, just tell your recruiter, you'll be fine.

PhantomLord
08-07-08, 10:49 PM
Ya thats what he said. I just won't stop worrying until im in ya know. Its the one thing that could ruin it for me if it was a problem