PDA

View Full Version : New guy, my story

Cjcruzi3
08-07-08, 10:57 AM
So im going to start this post about 6 months ago...
February something or the other 2008.
I walk into an OSO office to see my options for the marine corps when i graduate college. Pretty much they tell me im perfect on paper.... almost. i have a tattoo on my hand.. damn.ok so i can't be an officer but Gunnery Sergeant Purcells says im going to try something for you and contacts me with one of the most influential people in my life at the moment Sergeant Dawson(now staff sergeant). I plan to make a meeting with Sergeant Dawson to see my enlisted options ( a plan i didn't think i was going to go through on). Anyways after about a week of cancelling plans with Sergeant Dawson i finally give in and he picks me up and takes me to the office. Now this Man has motivated me so much with the way he talked to me about the Marine Corps that i have stood up shook his hand looked him in the eye and told him I WANT TO BE A MARINE! and i meant it too. I really did it felt right to me it really did.
A couple of days later i go down to the office only to find out im about 30 pounds over weight... UGH! and i was looking to leave soon. not a good thing so i decided to go home. after having an intense battle with if i really wanted it or not i decide yes and do what i can to make weight. Finally after about 3 months i give sergeant Dawson that call. Im 4 pounds overweight lets get this going.
Now to this point i haven't given much details because i really want to tell you guys this story this is a story that has truly defined me as a person right now and has shown me what i could do and what i want.
May 29,2008-
Sergeant Dawson picks me up in the morning after i had already done some PT to lose weight. Now i have done alot of running and dieting so i could make weight but i had no endurance. Sergeant Dawson tells me. Cruz we are going to PT today and get you at weight for tomorrow. Now mind you when i got weighted down at MEPS i was 7 pounds over. SO i have to lose 7 pounds in one day.... and i wanted to do it as right as possible.
My day started with some jogging, now i could run but not as much as i prolly should or that i have to for the marine corps, i jog about 3/4 mile before Gunther (another recruit) wants to do some other type of training so we start doing up downs. well i cant describe how much this sucked i had a lready run for awhile so i was gassed and felt like i had no energy. i was just drenched from all energy and to make it better it decided to rain. so now im heavy, tired, drenched and jumping in the grass doing updowns, mountain climbers and other sorts of exercises. I have given up on myself. i really have i decided in my head im not going to make it just work for it another day. Now i can't truly describe how bad it feels to give up on yourself when you truly want something but it is what i did i just gave up said forget it and gave up. I lightly jogged my 3/4 mile back to the office walking at points and just throwing in the sheets. Then gunther was like alright crunches, me being tired didn't want to but i did it anyways. i managed 68 in 2 minutes so i had passed the test to graduate boot camp i was like hey one good bit of news but it doesn't change the fact that in my head i was done i gave up even though in the exterior i was trying to show like i was truly trying. Then i went inside with Florzack and Gunter to do some heavy bag hitting. So now it was about 12:30 i had been training for about 1 hour and a half. I decided to get on the scale and see what wasup. i had lost a grand totral of 1/2 pounds.. 1/2 pounds now for someone who had given up on themselves thats the worst thing you could see. i barely tried on my pullups and pushups giving up prematurely saying i could not go when i knew i could but i didn't want it no more. didn't have that desire.
Then the turning point came Segeant Dawson walks in and says lets go play some basketball Cruz. He hadn't given up on me. Me thinking very naively i should add that we were going to take a car to the park was in for a suprise when i realized. Hey were running to the park. So we ran about 1 mile to the park. Now this run sucked and i was again giving up on myself since i did not care anymore i really didn't. i was dehydrated felt i could do it in due time and felt very faint. Anyways we play some 21 and some 5 on 5. It was fun but again i was giving up on myself while playing. Now you say this isn't a turning point its the same thing you did before but he is the real magic.
I ask Dawson if we could just walk back to the office and he says hell no HELL NO! your sweating your losing your weight. and i reluncently start running back. This run showed me so much about myself that i didn't know about the power of the human heart about the body about the mind about the mentallity of the marine corps.
For anyone whos done about 4 hours of training you should know what it feels like when your body wants to shutdown and you juts don't want to go anymore. well thts how i felt like i was going to faint like i was going to die. it may seem a little dramatic but its the truth.
This run showed me about brotherhood, about myself and my endurance and how strong my mind truly is. Everytime i tried to walk Florzack would push me and say dude your running even if you need to lean on me you run amongst me saying "I can't, i just can't anymore" he says yes you can dude yes you can me knowing this is for motivation. And Sergeant Dawson urging me to run as well while i still doubt myself. Florzack opens and gives me water as im running. it felt like 30 minutes and we had only run 1/4 mile. I felt i was never going to make it. I threw up in my mouth i got dizzy i almost dropped but florzack didn't let me he wouldn't let me he pushed me he helped me. Thats the marine corps for you brotherhood helping eachother go. but it was still extremly hard for me. extremly. Thats when sergeant dawson truly turned on the motivation he looked at me as were running and said Cruz manr youve gotten this far youve lost 30 pounds in 3 months and your going to give up on the homestretch. he said i know you hate me right now but you will love me later trust me. truth is i did hate him and was thinking you dodn' tkno what im going through. but the more he uttered these words the more i realized its true. "YOUR ALMOST THERE CRUZ!" and i was i was right at the finish to be a recruit for the marine corps. now i dunno what happened but i reached down inside i found this zone in my head that got my mind over my body and suddenly i was sprinting with about 1/2 mile to go. and im going faster faster pushing not caring that i felt faint and like throwing up. i pushed, pushed harder than i ever had before, i pushed past my comfort zone and pushed all the while in the back i hear something that just gave me more fuel. "THATS WHAT IM SAYIING CRUZ, GO! THATS MOTIVATION BABY" knowing that these guys believe in me helped me it helped me go and i pushed to the end of the run sprinting all on heart on complete heart. i had no energy no gas nothing i had been training since 11 and it was now about 4. but i found this push and i found out about the human body it has a comfort zone u need to get past and you will accomplish things, the mind will always be greater than the body. i found out i could make it and i felt damn i could make it i could be a marine. i got congradulated and it felt damn good. damn good. the rest of the day i did not complain i ran again and just did what i could do i even found myself helping another kid trying to get into recruit status telling him remember this "your better than me right now ive been here since 11" all while still running with him.
i had found out i could do what i want it i got passed the comfort if i pushed just that much more. this is who i am, now i understand a couple of things and i feel invincible like i can accomplish anything and i plan on taking this mentallity to the world and all my life. i felt accomplished but i didn't weigh myself i wanted to wait till the next day. i got home at 10 that day training since 11 in the AM.
May 30 Meps processing.
now i don't want to get into details but i had a hard time in my physical it felt like obsticle after obsticle came up. but from the night before i did not let that deter myself. i kept going i got through all the obsticles and it was time to weigh myself now. this was my moment had i done it. height 70 1/2 inches meaning i needed to be 221. i was weighing at 228 the previous day. then i got on the scale and it read 221. i had made it. and let me tell you it was worth it. i pushed for what i wanted and had gotten it. then a quote got into my mind and it is very true. "Brick walls are there for a reason. They let us prove how badly we want things" and i had found out i found out how bad i wanted this now for the rest of the day i waited and waited to swear in but it was worth it. i got my shipdate (october 6) and i had finally gotten in. swearing in felt awesome. completely awesome i am now Recruit CruzVargas for the marine corps. i had pushed through everything and now im on my way to be what i want to be. and i just want to say thank you sergeant Dawson for everything you motivated me alot and helped me realize i could go above what i thought i could. The mind is a crazy thing as well as the human body you just have to get out of your comfort zone to get there.
Just remember push people push and you will get what you want. in the past two days i literally sweated, bled, and i ever cried a little when i swore in but its worth it.
Push people, Push past your comfort zone and anything is possible.
Nothing is Impossible and always remember
Brick walls are there for a reason. They let us prove how badly we want things

i wrote this right after i finished MEPs and felt like sharing it with you guys, For any fat bodies out there if i could do it trust me you could to and just believe in the marine corps and get motivated never lose sight of that Eagle Globe and Anchor for it will be worth it in the end.

JdnSmith
08-07-08, 12:33 PM
Poolee Cruz-Vargas,

Congratulations fellow Poolee. Stay motivated and stick with the PT. Also, use proper capitalization and fill your profile out a little more. Other than that, I'm proud of you, great job and welcome to Leatherneck.com!

Chumley
08-07-08, 12:46 PM
Poolee Cruz-Vargas,

Congratulations fellow Poolee. Stay motivated and stick with the PT. Also, use proper capitalization and fill your profile out a little more. Other than that, I'm proud of you, great job and welcome to Leatherneck.com!

Yep - Good job JdnSmith! Cjcruzi3, on this site, Marine and Marine Corps are capitalized by guests and poolies. No exceptions. Please address this in the future and add some details to your profile. Rules are rules.

PS - Feels pretty good to accomplish what you thought you couldn't, huh!

Petz
08-07-08, 12:59 PM
have you thought about having the tattoo removed? if it's small enough you can have the section of skin cut out and stitched closed... post a picture so I can see it!

MyCorps
08-07-08, 03:43 PM
cjcruzi3-
No offense but something in your story smells of BS. A tattoo on the hand will not disqualify you. A waiver would easily take care of it. The Officer Selection Officer is a Gunnery Sergeant Purcells?? Something just isn't right here. I don't believe you are giving us the whole story. No, do not write another book as a reply. Profile up.

Wyoming
08-07-08, 09:32 PM
Damm Cap'n, you beat me too it. Thanks.

(I was getting dizzy reading his novel, and couldn't honestly figure out a way to properly flame this poolee.)

thewookie
08-07-08, 10:47 PM
I walk into an OSO office to see my options for the marine corps when i graduate college. Pretty much they tell me im perfect on paper....

A couple of days later i go down to the office only to find out im about 30 pounds over weight...

i jog about 3/4 mile before Gunther (another recruit) wants to do some other type of training so we start doing up downs. well i cant describe how much this sucked i had a lready run for awhile....

i just gave up said forget it and gave up. I lightly jogged my 3/4 mile back to the office walking at points and just throwing in the sheets.....

i had passed the test to graduate boot camp...

Then i went inside with Florzack and Gunter to do some heavy bag hitting....

1/2 pounds now for someone who had given up on themselves thats the worst thing you could see.....

i could do it in due time and felt very faint.....

but he is the real magic....

i didn't know about the power of the human heart about the body about the mind about the mentallity of the marine corps.....

For anyone whos done about 4 hours of training you should know what it feels like when your body wants to shutdown and you juts don't want to go anymore.....

it may seem a little dramatic but its the truth.....

I threw up in my mouth i got dizzy i almost dropped but florzack didn't let me he wouldn't let me he pushed me he helped me......

i was right at the finish to be a recruit for the marine corps......

height 70 1/2 inches meaning i needed to be 221. i was weighing at 228 the previous day.

I cut out some of the most funny stuff, this is great comedy....

Cjcruzi3
08-08-08, 12:01 AM
No the story is not BS it didn't disqualify me from the Marine Corps but a tattoo on my SALUTING hand does not look good on an officer so yeah he said there is not much he could do for me, and yes a Gunnery Sergeant is the recruiter for an Officer Selection Office. I found it weird too but im not going to question him, he is in the office doing the paperwork not myself. For you guys flaming im sorry for the caps I will look into that more when I am typing, and I told the whole story as is. I just wanted to say what I did to become a Pool-ee.

JdnSmith
08-08-08, 12:06 AM
For you guys flaming im sorry for the caps I will look into that more when I am typing

Who was flaming? I believe we were trying to do you a favor there. It is a rule of this site that you should probably respect.

Petz
08-08-08, 12:08 AM

you are a quitter in my book.

good luck in boot camp.

Cjcruzi3
08-08-08, 12:27 AM
I was not speaking to the guys who said about the Caps that i understand i was speaking to the other guys flaming, and I am not a quitter, so yeah i had given up on myself for a day but i learned from that and now it doesn't affect me i haven't given up on my body since then or on myself.

Petz
08-08-08, 12:30 AM
I was not speaking to the guys who said about the Caps that i understand i was speaking to the other guys flaming, and I am not a quitter, so yeah i had given up on myself for a day but i learned from that and now it doesn't affect me i haven't given up on my body since then or on myself.

then go try to be an officer again... if you don't make it through OCS you can always enlist.... you tried to go officer then quit, for relatively minor reasons... it show's lack of self discipline and character... so maybe you aren't cut out to have the privilege to lead Marines.

Cjcruzi3
08-08-08, 12:34 AM
no I now want to go enlisted to see what that side is like so that can help me lead Marines better in the future, Why try and lead something you have never been it makes no sense to me. Plus enlisting and going enlisted will help me build more character and more self discipline at least that is how I feel, I have seen that some of the most respected officers are the ones that were enlisted Marines first.

Petz
08-08-08, 12:39 AM
you really have no clue... you think Marine Officers get no respect? they happen to be some of the most educated Military Tacticians and technicians I've ever met.... you must get our officers confused with Generation Kill's depiction of them.

I've only seen ignorance due to the lack of knowledge, I can tell you that you won't get anything out of going enlisted first other than a dislike for the Officer Corps, then not join it.

I think you should go Officer and learn to lead instead of going enlisted and get stuck in a rut... then maybe if you get promoted to SNCO, learn to lead.... just go Officer... hell you probably can't cut it anyway.

Cjcruzi3
08-08-08, 12:49 AM
your truly a funny man arguing with me online, Im not saying I will make it but I don't doubt I could i surely have the intelligence getting an 85 on my ASVAB and a 1350 on my SATs and being a top 10% student in my graduating class of 900. I didn't say they get no respect read what i write before you comment. I said some of the MOST respected officers were enlisted from what I have seen nowhere does it say that officers are not respected. I know they are respected. Plus why are you speaking like that are you not enlisted yourself Staff Sergeant?

Petz
08-08-08, 01:08 AM
so the commandant was prior enlisted? wow! news flash.... and before you get an attitude with me, you might want to tone down the way you write.. I might get confused and think you're being disrespectful.

I really don't care how smart you are... intelligence is only one part of leadership... you'be got a long way to go if you just give up so easily on being an Officer... and if I talk trash about the enlisted side, I can.. you shut the hell up!

I don't read books disguised as posts either.... so, I'll comment before reading all I want when you are smug enough to actually think I'd waste the time to read it all the way through, if the first sentence doesn't interest me I skim. Mustangs are ok, but they are still officers first and prior enlisted in a distant 6 or 7th.

You should really listen and attempt going officer... otherwise the rest of the Marines "flaming" you are correct... and you are full of BS, hell you could have been shot down immediatly and never been "ok on paper"

it's ok, but you don't have to lie to kick it....

JdnSmith
08-08-08, 01:42 AM
your truly a funny man arguing with me online, Im not saying I will make it but I don't doubt I could i surely have the intelligence getting an 85 on my ASVAB and a 1350 on my SATs and being a top 10% student in my graduating class of 900. I didn't say they get no respect read what i write before you comment. I said some of the MOST respected officers were enlisted from what I have seen nowhere does it say that officers are not respected. I know they are respected. Plus why are you speaking like that are you not enlisted yourself Staff Sergeant?

How sure are you? Before you answer that, read above.

Brandon1
08-08-08, 05:27 AM
it's ok, but you don't have to lie to kick it.... SSgt just quoted Ice Cube. Thats awsome.

Anyways, I read the first "paragraph" and just like the SSgt said earlier, if I dont find it interesting I skim the rest. From what I've gathered though is that you told your story, and are now trying to argue with Marines...Not a good idea.

You say you were in the top 10% of your graduating class. Just a question, did your school have English classes there? So I dont come off as a complete A-hole, I'll say congrats on becoming a Poolee.

Cjcruzi3
08-08-08, 07:31 AM
Look I am not trying to argue I really am not. I was trying to tell my story, which is 100% true and I got some stuff for it. I was merely trying to say what I had overcome. I know it was long but I posted it here because it was a blog I had written long ago. I am not lying like I would not lie about the Marine Corps or anything that involves me trying to get into the Marine Corps. Ive gotten to love the Corps so there is no reason for me to say anything that is a lie im not trying to be disrespectful but merely trying to defend myself against people coming in here and flaming me. As for the grammar and all that. Yes I know it is bad but i had typed it fast and I have unfortunately fallen into the trap of, I guess you may call, "Internet Talk." So that is why it comes out the way it does, and I do want to go officer because I truly want to try and fly its been a fascination with me. Now i respect your opinion but your opinion is one of many I have recieved and I have made my mind up and want to go this route to go officer. Now guys just chill the story is true i was just trying to tell it. I'm sorry if it was so boring or too long.

Marine84
08-08-08, 07:56 AM
HAHAHA! Wait til the older guys get done with their coffee this morning.

STAND BY!

bgsuwoody
08-08-08, 08:23 AM
no I now want to go enlisted to see what that side is like so that can help me lead Marines better in the future, Why try and lead something you have never been it makes no sense to me. Plus enlisting and going enlisted will help me build more character and more self discipline at least that is how I feel, I have seen that some of the most respected officers are the ones that were enlisted Marines first.

I used to think the same thing Poolee, but hell was I wrong. You are either a leader or can be molded into one, or just have no chance. Its based on personality. Everyday I wonder if the brass side of this gun club would have been right for me,

but then I remember I don't take **** from anyone...
I don't like horse and pony shows...
I don't like meetings...
I hate kissing ass...
Saluting ****es me off...
Small unit leadership is just more personal...
I rather be respected as an equal with seniority rather than a senior proving that he has equal worth...

But of the officers I have meet, I have never found anything but some of the best men and most intellectual military tacticians. They know their **** and are ready to take their men into battle. Most focus on their small unit leadership and allow them and their experience to take control of most situations rather than dictating what should be done. Don't assume things you dont know. ****bags slip through the cracks everywhere...Officer and Enlisted. Nothing but your natural and learned abilities to lead are going to make you a better leader. Sometimes though you have to be a better follower before you can be a better leader.

yellowwing
08-08-08, 08:26 AM
Character is the marquis of Leadership. Take a look at the breakdown listed as Marine Corps Leadership Traits (http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/usmc/leadership_traits.htm). A must read.

Chumley
08-08-08, 08:27 AM
Look I am not trying to argue I really am not. I was trying to tell my story, which is 100% true and I got some stuff for it. I was merely trying to say what I had overcome. I know it was long but I posted it here because it was a blog I had written long ago. I am not lying like I would not lie about the Marine Corps or anything that involves me trying to get into the Marine Corps. Ive gotten to love the Corps so there is no reason for me to say anything that is a lie im not trying to be disrespectful but merely trying to defend myself against people coming in here and flaming me. As for the grammar and all that. Yes I know it is bad but i had typed it fast and I have unfortunately fallen into the trap of, I guess you may call, "Internet Talk." So that is why it comes out the way it does, and I do want to go officer because I truly want to try and fly its been a fascination with me. Now i respect your opinion but your opinion is one of many I have recieved and I have made my mind up and want to go this route to go officer. Now guys just chill the story is true i was just trying to tell it. I'm sorry if it was so boring or too long.

Cruz,

Let's fix this now. When you posted, you came to the right place. You need to understand that we are supporting you and even coaching you already to try to reach your goals. The Marines here did not belittle you, they addressed discrepancies. You may feel attacked, but you came to a Marine website, and the Marines here will speak their minds freely. If you can't figure this part out, you need to surf away. Come here and show disrespect, internet or not, or you are misled about what you think you're entitled to. So, step up and square yourself away immediately, and you're welcome to stay. Continue to mouth off electronically, you will get nothing but grief and I guarantee that you will not find the support that you could benefit from. Nothing ticks me off more than a civilian child who is considering a Marine Corps future who can't understand the simple concept that you will start at the bottom and earn your way. I don't care if it's a no stripe Private, you suck it up. The more stripes you see, the more Officers bars you see, you'd better curb yourself appropriately. Speak your mind but go look up the word TACT and figure out a way to present yourself appropriately. There is no other way.
:iwo:

Chumley
08-08-08, 08:28 AM
Character is the marquis of Leadership. Take a look at the breakdown listed as Marine Corps Leadership Traits (http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/usmc/leadership_traits.htm). A must read.

OOORAH!

bgsuwoody
08-08-08, 08:40 AM
Why try and lead something you have never been it makes no sense to me.

Well I didn't really read this part last time. Really bad attitude. From day one in the Marine Corps you better be damn ready to lead. ESPECIALLY on the enlisted side. You never know when you find yourself cut off with the RO and you need to call a MEDEVAC or call for fire. Who knows when you are going to be sent as a leader of a small team to clear a house and you are senior so everyone looks to you. Hell you may even become a boot team leader. Not to mention if your unit leader goes down. Chaos just doesn't occur, we are Marines...leaders...period.

CplKJSpevak
08-08-08, 08:44 AM

If I may Ssgt.

Christian, YOU ARE SO INTELLIGENT THAT YOU ARE "AS AN ENLISTED POOLEE OF MARINES" DISRESPECTING A SNCO LIKE THIS? ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME??? YOU HAVE NO BALLS, OR HEART.....SO THEREFORE I'M ACTUALLY GLAD YOU WILL NEVER BE AN OFFICER IN MY MARINE CORPS. YOU HAVE ALREADY ENLISTED, THIS IS NOT THE NAVY!!YOU DO NOT, DO NOT ADDRESS AN NCO LET ALONE A SNCO IN A DISRESPECTFUL MANNER! YOU WILL HAVE YOUR FACE RIPPED FROM YOUR HEAD. Learn it now boy!.........Learn it now.

Cjcruzi3
08-08-08, 08:44 AM
Well thanks for the last couple of responses. I really just would like to do my past and work my way up. Im not going in trying to make Lance Corporal out of bootcamp, not meaning I wouldn't like to, but I just want to be a Marine. I have spoken to many Marines and I feel this is right for me. I know I have to be a leader but I have to work my way up to be a leader no? (not intended as sarcasm)

CplKJSpevak
08-08-08, 08:48 AM
I said some of the MOST respected officers were enlisted

:evilgrin:YOU SMOLDERING PIECE OF CRAP, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THE MARINE CORPS? WOW, SO YOU PT'D FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS AND WROTE A FREAKIN BOOK ABOUT IT......DI'S WILL STRAIGHTEN YOUR AZZ OUT:evilgrin:

CplKJSpevak
08-08-08, 08:51 AM
just be respectful on here to those who have earned the title, and you'll be fine

Cjcruzi3
08-08-08, 08:53 AM
Im not saying i have experienced it but I have had people tell me that, even my recruiter. I know he can just be, and probably is, trying to get me to sign on enlisted but that is what I have heard. From Enlisted Marines as well as my recruiter, and I was trying to talk about my day of PT for I know one day of PT is probably not anything in the Marine Corps. PT is a way of life in the Marine Corps. I was just trying to say that how from being 30 pounds overweight in february i managed to lose it all in three months and even lose 7 pounds on the last day before MEPS. That is all i was trying to say.

Old Marine
08-08-08, 09:18 AM

What the hell gives you the impression that in your short 19 years on this earth that you know allabout the difference between Officer and Enlisted?

So you read it somewhere in a book. Well son, that book is history when the doo-doo hits the fan.

I would really like to be a fly on the wall when your feet hit the yellow footprints and if you end up in PCP for lack of being able to do a pull up.

Lots of luck on your journey and may God help you when you meet the D.I.'s.

Cjcruzi3
08-08-08, 09:22 AM
Well thanks for the luck and much respect Gunnery Sergeant, but I was not trying to claim that. I just want to stop arguing. I feel it to be pointless. I just want help from some of you whom have already crossed this path.

CplGiraffe
08-08-08, 09:58 AM
but I was not trying to claim that. I just want to stop arguing.
Rule #1: A Marine is always right. If the Gunny says you were trying to claim that then don't argue with them. And especially don't argue and then say you don't want to argue because it contradicts yourself.

Cjcruzi3
08-08-08, 10:00 AM
OK. I am trying to just resolve everything now. Can we just have a fresh start with everyone. I am not who i am probably percieved to be right now.

NicholasITALY
08-08-08, 10:02 AM

OMFG!!!!!!!! DUDE!!!! LOOOOL!!!! ok let me tell you one thing..

1. Marines are always right.
2. If a Marine is wrong, read above. :marine:

You are a polee and you talk like that?! lol you better learn quick how it works. :beer:

Petz
08-08-08, 10:05 AM
nick... that was an awesome list of rules!!! hahahaha

Books
08-08-08, 10:40 AM
Im not going in trying to make Lance Corporal out of bootcamp

Did I read this incorrectly? You are not going to try? You've got to be kidding me. Not only should you be aiming to "try", you should just be plain doing your absolute very best all the time. If you're not trying to make Lance Corporal in boot camp, then you're not doing your best. Hell, you should be aiming to make MOS 9991 out of boot camp. If your best happens to warrant a promotion, then lah-dee-****ing-dah.