PDA

View Full Version : USMC Officer Signing Bonuses

lawdogprospect
08-06-08, 07:15 PM
Hi,

I am a Junior in college looking to join the Marines through OCS and the PLC-Law program. Recently, I have been wondering about what signing bonuses are available for officers in the Marine Corps. I have heard that there are certain bonuses available depending on your MOS, but I have found very limited information on the subject. Its not about the money, but it would definitely help a struggling student. And I know about the bonuses that the other branches offer, but I want to be a Marine. I'd like to know that I went receiving all the benefits that the program has to offer.

Thanks

xpaz
08-07-08, 12:46 AM
As far as I know, the signing bonuses (if any) aren't awarded immediately, and are usually paid in increments throughout your contract. They won't be much good to a struggling student, I don't think. I'm a '06 grad... I feel your pain.

It shouldn't be about the money, but there's no harm in milking it for what it's worth. I'd say contact your local OSO or your NROTC folks to see what they have to say about it.

Petz
08-07-08, 12:51 AM
I'm not even clear on what you're talking about but I'm going to shoot in the dark.

I think you can get your tuition paid back with an extention to your obligated contract.... not sure how long though... and yeah you need to finish MOS school first.

so to get your MOS you need OCS then TBS before you goto MOS school... you're looking at close to a year before you'd get any money... then if you breach the contract (for the money) you have to pay it all back (including the taxes the government took from you!!)

MyCorps
08-07-08, 09:37 AM
Ask your Officer Selection Officer. Bonus incentives are constantly changing.

Rains
08-07-08, 11:06 AM
Why is everyone so worryed about signing bonuses?

Petz
08-07-08, 12:39 PM
free money can be good, but when it comes with stipulations I tend to leave it alone.... they are just trying to get the best bang for the buck.

Hologram
08-07-08, 05:29 PM
Why is everyone so worryed about signing bonuses?Mainly because you should try to get everything you can out of something. I'm joining the Corps of my own free will and will do so without the incentive of any kind of bonus, but if my recruiters want to offer me anything at all, I'll take it.

Like lawdog said, it's not a make-or-break deal, but you might as well get what you can out of it.

lawdogprospect
08-08-08, 12:01 AM
Yea, if it were about the money, I would stay a civ or go to some other branch like the air force and get $20,000 to enlist. But, thats not for me. I am set on becoming an officer in the Corps.

I saw somewhere that Marines who enlist these days are getting something like $7,000.

Anyway, will talk to OSO. Thanks for the help.

Petz
08-08-08, 12:10 AM
hey there lawdog... it's the Air Farce!! get your spell check fixed... you must be dyslexic.

lawdogprospect
08-18-08, 03:39 PM
lol i hear ya. The corps is the only way for me

RockSteady85
08-18-08, 03:50 PM
Hey lawdogprospect, I hear ya on the struggling student thing. I am trying to get back into the Corps (Got through 2 months at PI before I got discharged for my broken knee), but I am looking for OCS...

fjmas1976
08-18-08, 04:14 PM
Hi,

I am a Junior in college looking to join the Marines through OCS and the PLC-Law program. Recently, I have been wondering about what signing bonuses are available for officers in the Marine Corps. I have heard that there are certain bonuses available depending on your MOS, but I have found very limited information on the subject. Its not about the money, but it would definitely help a struggling student. And I know about the bonuses that the other branches offer, but I want to be a Marine. I'd like to know that I went receiving all the benefits that the program has to offer.

Thanks
The benefit is you get to be a United States Marine. If you want bonuses, join the Air Force or another branch.:usmc:

Wyoming
08-18-08, 08:57 PM
lol i hear ya. The corps is the only way for me

:no: