PDA

View Full Version : A Lot Easier Than It Seems

Books
08-06-08, 06:54 PM
I turn 18 in October, and after the last two years gathering knowledge on this site and working out and getting to know my recruiter, the whole enlistment process doesn't seem so daunting anymore, and I'm surprised how far I've come. My parents refuse to sign for me, so I still have to wait until October to actually enlist.

Back when I was a fatbody, the prospect of becoming a Marine seemed nearly impossible and foreign to me. But I've been around for awhile, and my time to enlist is approaching, and after all this time, it is a real possibility for me to walk off of MCRD Parris Island as a Marine. I am so thankful for everyone's support around here - I know I haven't been around in awhile - and all the moto Marines have provided. Everything seems so incredibly do-able at the moment. I find it hard to believe that I could actually not earn the title, pending some medical complication.

So, my words to newer wanna-bes out there: Work hard now. Work hard as a poolee. You can either be confident before going or regretting that you didn't take your pre-enlistment time more seriously and you can only achieve the bare-minimum. As bgsuwoody said in another thread, a huge part about the whole process and being a Marine really is all about time-management. I thought I would never even make it this far, and I haven't even enlisted yet. I'm so proud of everyone in the USMC community.

davblay
08-06-08, 07:00 PM
Why....thank you Books! Good to see you on the site again, now don't be a stranger. :marine:

Dave

Books
08-06-08, 10:01 PM
I just had a rough end to last year. Recently I turned things around, got back on track, and more motivated than ever. I'm even learning German on my own time. I go to the gym in the morning with my recruiter and whoever else, and at night I go to the track. I hope to keep it up during the school year... It's going well. My parents are going nuts though. They're having a meeting with my recruiter Monday night, in which I predict all hell will break loose. :(

sshrader
08-07-08, 11:00 AM
Let us know how it goes Books, and good luck!

coltie52
08-07-08, 11:48 AM
I just had a rough end to last year. Recently I turned things around, got back on track, and more motivated than ever. I'm even learning German on my own time. I go to the gym in the morning with my recruiter and whoever else, and at night I go to the track. I hope to keep it up during the school year... It's going well. My parents are going nuts though. They're having a meeting with my recruiter Monday night, in which I predict all hell will break loose. :(
Keep up the Good work Books, your doing amazing.