PDA

View Full Version : Marine or not?

boomer56328
08-06-08, 12:23 PM
I want to get some thoughts from you guys about when and at what point can you consider yourself a Marine. I guy I work with said his brother went to boot camp and in Phase 3 was injured. The brother got some sort of medical separation and he never graduated. My friend says that his brother goes around telling everyone about when he was in and that he was a Marine. I called BS on this and said that if he didn't graduate boot camp he was full of crap and needed to cut it out. Another guy I work with who was a Marine said that as long as he didn't quit and was separated for reasons beyond his control that there wasn't a problem with it. I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks.

Petz
08-06-08, 12:25 PM
he shouldn't be going around telling people he was a Marine when he never was in the FMF... though he can say he joined... I don't think recruit training qualifies him to brag about it.

Big Jim
08-06-08, 12:30 PM
I want to get some thoughts from you guys about when and at what point can you consider yourself a Marine. I guy I work with said his brother went to boot camp and in Phase 3 was injured. The brother got some sort of medical separation and he never graduated. My friend says that his brother goes around telling everyone about when he was in and that he was a Marine. I called BS on this and said that if he didn't graduate boot camp he was full of crap and needed to cut it out. Another guy I work with who was a Marine said that as long as he didn't quit and was separated for reasons beyond his control that there wasn't a problem with it. I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks.

You're right in telling him to shut the fvck up about being a Marine...for whatever the reasons, he didn't earn that Eagle, Globe and Anchor or the right to be called Marine, now did he?? Hey stuff happens in bootcamp and until everyone goes through the same process we did for the hell we put up with in bootcamp...that guy can't claim to be a Marine and doing so is fraud!! The government doesn't see him as a Marine, nor does the Marine Corps...ask him that in front of your Marine friend...maybe he felt you were being too hard on the fake-azz Marine...!! But whatever...that guy isn't a Marine...quit or not...

Buckeye
08-06-08, 12:44 PM
If He Didn't Recieve The Ega,he Doesn't Qualify!!! The Last I Checked They Present The Ega,the Day Before Graduation. So He Didn't Even Finish Third Phase.

Buckeye
08-06-08, 12:49 PM
The Corps Broke Him, Before He Could Earn The Title!!!!

davblay
08-06-08, 01:00 PM
Unfortunately, even today, we have poolees that go to Boot camp and don't make it for whatever reason. I have had one tell me that it wasn't his fault he didn't stay, that he was willing to stay, but...

maverickmarine
08-06-08, 01:06 PM
I agree, if he didn't finish boot camp then he didn't earn the title and should shut his freakin' hole!

darkgreen0311
08-06-08, 01:25 PM
This guys knows deep in his heart that he's no Marine. If he has a problem with our comments tell him to visit this site.

:marine:Semper Fi 4 Life
Give me liberty or i'll get it myself!!!

iceman7570
08-06-08, 01:41 PM
This guy saying he is a Marine is just disappointed and trying to make himself look better.I know he is a BS'er cause if you never wore the EGA you cannot be a Marine.

SlaveToTheCorps
08-06-08, 02:27 PM
I hope no one minds me adding my opinion into the pot but...

I'm not a Marine, I was given an entry level separation due to being injured & medically separated from the military during boot camp. I was told that I can re-enlist, but until then I am not a Marine (rightfully so). I do know that I must say on any job application or paperwork I fill-out, that I have 'veteran' status; which I don't understand seeing as I didn't earn the title. So from this civilian’s opinion…he’s not a Marine!

thewookie
08-06-08, 03:09 PM
Have to finish.

jarheadlady
08-06-08, 03:17 PM
I heard recently that they are handing out the EGAs right after the crucible which is 2 weeks before the actual graduation date. I think that is crap. We were given our EGAs the day before graduation at the EGA ceremony. We were STILL not Marines until our SDI said DISMISSED and we left the Island in a uniform, with an ID card, an SRB and a freaking EGA in our cover. I was a Marine when my SDI shook my hand and said Congrats Marine, now go carry on in our Corps. That is when I was a Marine.

jetdoc
08-06-08, 05:20 PM
As most said, not a Marine till you pin on the EGA and are offically called a Marine. He may have the heart of a Marine but he "ain't" a Marine.

JRHD72
08-06-08, 06:50 PM
I brought this question up before in posers. A friend of mine only made it 1 month on the island. Got released for an inoperable cyst on his spine. This was in 5-72. The Sonnamabeetch gets better care from the VA than I do. I got out after 4 years with 20% n don't get squat. The local VA wants $55.00 copay from me. My civilioan doctor with my insurance is only a$25.00 copay. GD VA can go to HELL!

hoag2531
08-06-08, 08:40 PM
I must be slippin' into "old corps" status....

EGA????

Oh, you mean EGAL, GLOB AND ANCHOR!!:evilgrin:

I didn't earn the title until I marched across the parade deck on graduation day!!!:banana::yes:

Not one minute before!

ecfree
08-06-08, 08:56 PM
I heard recently that they are handing out the EGAs right after the crucible which is 2 weeks before the actual graduation date. I think that is crap. We were given our EGAs the day before graduation at the EGA ceremony. We were STILL not Marines until our SDI said DISMISSED and we left the Island in a uniform, with an ID card, an SRB and a freaking EGA in our cover. I was a Marine when my SDI shook my hand and said Congrats Marine, now go carry on in our Corps. That is when I was a Marine.

I was in the Corps,( BC )before crucible.
We got our emblems just before final inspection,put them on our dress greens,trimed all the irish pennants,and shined our shoes,good to go.
On grad. day,just like the gunny said,when the senior DI said dismissed Marines,WE BECAME MARINES....:yes:

SgtHMH
08-06-08, 09:05 PM
Well if they don't get Medical Pay or a ID from the Corps from Boot Camp for their Injuries then they can't claim the Title Marine. If they were getting some sort of Medical for their injuries from Boot Camp then that would be a fine line of being a Marine. They would be a Medical Injuried Marine Recruit on Medical Pay. If they did not get to Graduation Day and get their ID Card, they can not call them selfs a Marine. They can call them selfs a injuried Marine Recruit that was sent home from Boot Camp. That is all they did do in part of the training to become the full Title Marine.

Semper Fi

SGT7477
08-06-08, 09:19 PM
Never earned the title of Marine, NO Deal, nonhacking arsewipes and wannabees.

Marine84
08-06-08, 09:59 PM
No EGA, no deal. You can say you been there but.......................

It didn't dawn on me until that DI pinned my EGA on my cover, told me she didn't think I would EVER get off that Island with it but, I had made it and then said "Congratulations Marine".

rsharetts
08-07-08, 12:06 AM
It may be cold, but not everyone can be a Marine. I have had the pleasure of working with personnel from all branches of the armed forces (except USCG) and they are fine people, some are real killers (163rd Airbourne Bgd). But they weren't Marines.

If you don't graduate from Boot Camp how can you call yourself a Marine. Before graduation you are just wearing the clothes. But you are not a Marine. Of course that is just my opinion.

:usmc:OOORAH:usmc:

Petz
08-07-08, 12:27 AM
No EGA, no deal. You can say you been there but.......................

It didn't dawn on me until that DI pinned my EGA on my cover, told me she didn't think I would EVER get off that Island with it but, I had made it and then said "Congratulations Marine".

We graduated in tandem with Oscar company.... I know why she said that, 'cause female recruits look nasty, not just ugly kind of nasty... just all funny looking... they're cammies are falling off because they lost so much weight and they're hair is falling out because of the sand pit.... just really un-sat... that and they yell and hold the yell thinking it's louder.... and they yell like girls!!! ahhaa, had to add the last part. but the rest is true to my opinion... Males just looked stupid Females look worse until they get in they're chucks... well some of them.

darkgreen0311
08-07-08, 08:59 AM
It's like going to College and not graduating and then tell people you have a degree...... NOT!!!

:marine:Semper FI 4 Life
Give me liberty or i'll get it myself!!!

Petz
08-07-08, 09:04 AM
good analogy.

amarine0311
08-07-08, 09:25 AM
Ask to see his 214. That usually shuts them up. He was weak and the Corps broke his ass. Not a Marine.

boomer56328
08-07-08, 09:31 AM
I have never met the brother so he has never said it to my face. I also have never had anyone claim they was a Marine where I thought they were full of crap or could prove they were. I don't now how I'd react if I actually met someone like that. Maybe a punch to the liver, who knows.

Petz
08-07-08, 10:18 AM
... jail just isn't worth it brother... you can call the FBI and they'll attack! hahaha, no that's not serious enough for the fibbii.

Eric Hood
08-07-08, 11:30 AM
Sorry, he didn't make it all the way through boot camp. He is not a Marine. This is what happened to Dan Rather. He got hurt, didn't complete boot camp. Not a Marine. Someone said it here-Not everyone can be a Marine.
Semper Fi,
Eric:usmc:

tripledog
08-07-08, 11:44 AM
I suppose back in our day, saying that was really a invitation to a fight. During the war years, we were ****. Couse all military was.

Honestly, I can say without hanging my head , that I never considered saying I am a Marine until the time came for that kind of statement. Why some people think trying to impress others with these type saying that they know in their hearts are not true, escapees me. I disagree with some however, I knew a lot of Marines that truly were not Marines in the sense that I hold the usmc even after graduation.

Buckeye
08-07-08, 12:39 PM
As most said, not a Marine till you pin on the EGA and are offically called a Marine. He may have the heart of a Marine but he "ain't" a Marine.
Well put.:thumbup::marine:

chuckander
08-17-08, 10:07 AM
No, He is not a Marine. I don't care if he got hurt on the final moto run 2 days before graduation. If his Senior Drill Instructor didn't dismiss him with th rest of the platoon as a Marine, he's not a Marine. period.

Petz
08-17-08, 11:59 AM
uh, when I went through boot camp we had a guy hobble through the last phase with a fractured shin... he didn't make the med screening for the crucible so they dropped him to the med platoon... if...

DevilDogJAL
08-17-08, 03:29 PM
I graduated boot camp in August of 2007. You are a Marine when you get back from the Crucible and your drill instructor hands you your eagle, globe, and anchor, and looks you in the eye, shakes your hand, and says "Well done, Marine."

The EGA's are handed out after the Crucible, which is a week before graduation. The last week is Marine Week, which is when a lot of admin issues are taken care of, gear is given back, and classes are held, such as finances and stuff like that. There's also a lot of graduation practice.

But to answer your question...it sucks that he got injured at boot camp...but if he didn't make that death-defying march back from Page Field (I think that's the name of it) and receive his EGA, he's not a Marine.

hockeyblood
08-17-08, 04:30 PM
Can somewhere here tell me a good forum to ask questions about the USMC. I am joining soon and would like to ask a few questions.

DevilDogJAL
08-17-08, 04:53 PM
Can somewhere here tell me a good forum to ask questions about the USMC. I am joining soon and would like to ask a few questions.

Head over to the poolee hall or the Ask a Marine forum.

FistFu68
08-17-08, 05:32 PM
:usmc: I STILL WASN'T SURE,TILL THE BUSES LEFT THE GATE;AT PARRIS ISLAND.I WAS THE HOUSE MOUSE FOR PLT.307,I LEFT A GIFT 4MY SENIOR D.I. I CHIT IN A BAG;THAT MORNING AND PUT THEM TURD'S IN HIS COMBAT BOOT'S I HAD SPIT SHINED 4HIM.WAS REALLY WORRIED UNTIL THE M.P. WAVED THE BUSES THROUGH THE GATE :scared: :D

Petz
08-17-08, 08:21 PM
hahaha, you were the house mouse!!! awesome!

sparkie
08-17-08, 08:25 PM
Fist the house mouse ,,,,,,, I am sure with big friggin teeth. Go tease the mouse,,,,,, If you have a death wish. SF, Fist.

Petz
08-17-08, 08:32 PM
I meant that it was awesome that he did that as the house mouse... I was laughing so hard I didn't bother to re-read the post.

FistFu68
08-17-08, 08:35 PM
:evilgrin: ONCE HE SAW MY SPITSHINE,WHICH I HAD BEEN DOING FOR YEARS ON MY PAPA'S BOOTS HE WAS A LIFER;MY D.I.'S WERE IMPRESSED.SO HOUSE MOUSE IT WAS FOR JACKIE BOY!!! :marine: :iwo:

dpawson
08-18-08, 02:57 PM
Tell this boy to find another fantasy to live in. He was separated for medical reasons. No graduation=not a Marine, period.