View Full Version : Run to honor Marine makes it to Iraq

thedrifter
08-06-08, 07:53 AM
August 6, 2008
Run to honor Marine makes it to Iraq

40 competed there in 115-degree heat

By Sara Boyd
sboyd2@greenbaypressgazette.com

HOBART — It could be said that this year's Pfc. Ryan Jerabek USMC Memorial Challenge has gone international.

Marine Sgt. Peter Vargo hasparticipated in the four-mile run since it began in 2006, however this year was different. Vargo is stationed in Iraq and would not return home in time for the third annual run Saturday.

"I was bummed out because I had run the race every year so far and I'd like to continue to run it every year that they continue to have it," he said in an e-mail from Iraq. "I take a lot of pride in running this race to honor Pfc. Jerabek and all of the other fallen Marines and other troops out there."

Since Vargo would not be able to go to the race, he brought the race to Iraq. Vargo held an honorary Jerabek Run in Habbaniyah, Iraq, on June 22 — just a short distance from where Ryan Jerabek was killed with 11 other Marines in an ambush in Ramadi in 2004.

The annual run is named in Jerabek's honor and follows the route he took every morning to prepare for boot camp.

Vargo's run brought out 40 troops to participate in the four-mile run in 115-degree heat, which continued to rise throughout the run.

Green Bay Marine Cpl. James Klein took first in the run with a time of 18:37, and all participants finished to pay tribute to fallen soldiers, Vargo said.

"I let them all know how appreciative the Jerabek family is for them running in the race and for fighting for our freedom," he said.

Rita Jerabek, Ryan's mother, said she was thrilled Vargo could find a way to participate.

"It's just amazing," she said. "I think they were all proud to take part in it."

Having already had one successful run take place, Rita Jerabek said she's looking forward to this year's annual race.

While the race details get a little easier each year, the memory of her son helps her get through the emotional day, she said.

"It really helps us stay focused on the gift of Ryan and it does energize me," she said, "because I feel like we're able to do something that carries on what was at the heart of who he was."

Ellie