PDA

View Full Version : Stepping into the Millenium Gap

thedrifter
08-06-08, 07:49 AM
Stepping into the Millenium Gap
Helmand Province, southeast of Kandahar
August 5, 2008

After the IED strike of August 3 in which two Marines were wounded and their Humvee destroyed, the 1/6 commanders are on the hunt for those responsible. Yesterday, I accompanied a foot patrol of more than 100 Marines from our base at Strong Point Bravo to the village closest to the site of the attack. Despite the 120-degree heat, and the fact that each Marine is loaded down with body armor, helmet, weapon and gear, we covered the two miles from the base to the village in just under 40 minutes, walking in two staggered files alongside the canals that crisscross this area.

The people were wary at first - probably thinking we were coming to exact retribution for the attack. As we stopped and spoke with a few farmers near the village, all denied having known of or even heard the blast - despite the fact that it was comprised of an estimated five to seven kilos of explosives, and completely destroyed a heavily armored humvee. The Marines expected as much.

When we reached the village, most people hid inside their homes and peeked out their gates as we passed. The Marines waved and smiled, and stopped to talk to a few more people. They also passed out some printed flyers with instructions for what to do if the people came across any unexploded ordnance. These had a limited effect, since less than 20 percent of the population here is literate. That said, we still were able to find a few villagers who spoke a little English.

At one end of the village we encountered a group of men squatting in the dust outside the only store, which consisted of a hut the size of a walk-in closet stacked up with bags of fertilizer, some food stuffs and cigarettes. The village Elder approached us and asked why we had come. With the help of our interpreter, we spoke with him at length about the attack, and he vigorously denied that anyone in his village had been involved, blaming people from the next village over. He invited us to search his village, and said that if we found anything to disprove him, we could take him to jail.

The Marines did a cursory search of a few random homes in the village - but found nothing. Even if there had been anything there, it isn't likely we would have found it because the people had plenty of time to hide or move it before we arrived. In addition, the Marines were very sensitive to the cultural considerations concerning women in the village. Before entering a home, they allowed the women to all go into one room, and the Marines then searched the entire house except for that room. Not the ideal way, but this fight is about much more than finding weapons caches - it's about taking the moral high ground.

The village breathed a sort of collective sigh of relief as they realized we weren't there for revenge, and more people came out to greet us. Before long, we had a large group of children following us around, and it was fun to see them interact with the Marines, joking and laughing. And on the way out of town, some emerged with gifts of fresh-baked bread.

As the dusk turned to darkness, we trudged the long two miles back to the base. On the way, I wondered about the complexities unique to this battleground - it's a very, very different fight than the one in Iraq. One of the biggest, from what I saw today, is that the culture here is several hundred years behind where Iraq was - it at least had roads and infrastructure to build off of, and a people who understood the modern world on some level. The villagers here in Garmsir are living largely as they have for thousands of years, and overcoming the "millenium gap" brings with it a whole different set of challenges.

--

Chuck Holton

www.livefire.us

Ellie

thedrifter
08-06-08, 07:50 AM
I'm Okay
August 5, 2008

Hi there,

I'm currently at a place called Strong Point Bravo, a U.S. Marine Outpost in south Helmand province, in a region called Garsmir. I'm healthy and safe, though these last few days have been very physically demanding. The heat here is worse than anyplace I've ever experienced - regularly over 110 degrees during the day. This remote base has no air conditioning, no fans, and very little shade. I consumed more than two liters of water before 11am and am still dehydrated.

But it's hard to complain about that after what happened last night.

A patrol left the strong point just before dusk and within a few miles was struck by an IED. The first vehicle in the convoy was completely destroyed, and by some miracle of God all five occupants got out alive - though two were medevac'ed and the Marine on the front passenger side lost a leg.

Chris Jackson - the cameraman traveling with the FOX news team was right behind that Marine in the back of the humvee. The blast blew his door open and threw him partially out of the vehicle.

Though dazed and disoriented, and with ammunition already beginning to cook off in the vehicle, Chris helped pull the wounded Marine to safety. His cameras and gear were a total loss - as was the vehicle.

I was at the base and heard the sound of the blast. Seconds later I heard the radio call come in that there had been an IED strike with two severely wounded. Grabbing my camera, I ran out and climbed in a humvee with the Quick Reaction force that was scrambling to assist.

At that point, we didn't know who had been wounded, and I prayed as we hurried to the blast site that Oliver North and Chris were okay. When we arrived, my heart sank as I saw the wreckage - completely engulfed by fire - there looked to be no way anyone could have survived the blast. Marines were fanned out on either side of the road as medics worked feverishly on the casualties. Within moments a medevac helicopter arrived to whisk the wounded off to surgery.

Chris was wearing my body armor, because he was afraid he'd become a heat casualty on the patrol if he wore the stuff supplied by FOX - which is closer to a full suit of chain mail. So since I wasn't going on the patrol, I'd happily lent him my gear. I'm doubley glad he escaped with only scrapes and bruises - because if he'd been injured because he was wearing my lighter armor, I'd have felt pretty bad about it.

Anyway, the Fox team fortunately had backup gear and can continue, despite the loss of a camera and other kit. If that had been me, my trip would have been over. As it is, I'm struggling every day to keep my equipment functioning - the sand and the heat are brutal.

The day we traveled out here was the hottest day I've ever experienced in my life. Riding in the back of a seven-ton truck, being covered by suffocating layers of fine dust kicked up by its' massive wheels, I wondered what I'd gotten myself into.

I have to hand it to these Marines. They've been out here for upwards of 90 days, working in this heat with virtually nothing in the way of creature comforts. And yet by and large morale is high. These are truly some of the toughest men on earth. I'll be proud of myself if I can hang with them for a week and live to tell about it.

Please pray for the families of the two marines who were wounded yesterday. And pray for rain in Afghanistan, or an early fall.

Chuck Holton
www.livefire.us

Ellie