PDA

View Full Version : Conflict over 'campground' emerges

thedrifter
08-06-08, 06:55 AM
08/06/2008
Conflict over 'campground' emerges
BY JOSH MROZINSKI , Wyoming County Press Examiner

WASHINGTON TWP - Mike Banos was deployed to Iraq on Monday with the U.S. Marines and he was concerned about his mother.
Before deployment, the sergeant said he was worried that enforcement of township zoning would prevent his mother and friends who are members of 'Supporting the Troops of Northeast Pa.' from using a favorite gathering spot of 25 acres of land west of Tunkhannock on Keiserville Road.

"It's a place for healing," Sgt. Banos, of Eaton Township, said.

On Monday, the 'place of healing' became closed to troops and other visitors, Dawn Rogers, of Eaton Township, said.

Rogers, who owns the property and leads the troop support organization, said that township officials told her that only her family can use the site.

And while Rogers is no longer faced with a fine because she has abated a violation of the township zoning ordinance by removing two trailers, she remains upset.

"We own the property and I can't do anything with it that I want to do," Rogers said. "That really upsets me that I have a government dictating to me."

Rogers noted that she had offered use of a part of the site to the American Legion Dennis Strong Post 457 in Tunkhannock.

"We weren't able to take advantage of the offer," post adjutant Wes Virtue said. "The offer is still on the table, however."

In June, the township told Rogers that she would face a $500 fine a day if she did not remove two trailers by the end of July.

According to zoning officer Carl Grabner, Rogers had a non-approved campground because she had more than two trailers.

Township zoning regulation describes a campground as land upon which two or more campsites are located.

Roger's property is located in an area of the township zoned as an agricultural district.

Township secretary Lora Ann Seidel said that any number of people can visit the site during the day.

Seidel noted that Rogers cannot open the site up to the public and have people stay overnight because it is not an approved campground.

Rogers would need a special exemption to operate the site as a campsite.

It also would cost Rogers $500 to apply for a special exemption.

"They also want me to put in a parking lot, run electricity and put in a septic system," Rogers said. "Items like that take away the property's relaxing environment."

Rogers added that she believes the township is unfairly targeting veterans.

She refers to a letter from Seidel in February that states that the township has many concerns because the site will be used by the "public/veterans."

Seidel disputes Rogers' claim and said that she referred to veterans because Rogers told the township that the property would be used by her family and veterans.

Seidel said that Grabner approached Rogers about the property last year, after the township received a complaint from a resident who lived nearby.

She added that the property needs parking, a septic system and other items because it is open to the public.

The improvements would be unaffordable Rogers said.

"We put this together so the soldiers and their families can get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life," Rogers added.

Ellie