PDA

View Full Version : Its been a year...what I've learned

bgsuwoody
08-05-08, 11:03 AM
Just a mere year ago I was standing on those yellow footprints just as nervous as can be. Over the last year I have overcome many obstacles, succeeded in many accounts, and prepared myself mentally and physically for an Iraq deployment here in October (I'm on pre-deployment leave right now). Let me explain some of the many things that I have learned over the past year that has allowed me to be successful, from being a squad leader in bootcamp to a boot team leader in my infantry platoon.

First, the time is going to fly by in the Marine Corps, you are going to spend 3 months in bootcamp, then time in SOI and your school and before you know it you are going to hit the fleet and be ready to go on deployment. Cherish the time you have because it is going to go so fast. It isn't going to be easy, but its going to be fast. Its the nature of the beast.

The first thing I think that I have taken the most from the Marine Corps is that there is so much learning that can be done to be good at this job. Between weapons systems and tactics and leadership styles or just learning how to handle bull**** Marine Corps situations, you can learn something everyday. If you spend less time complaining about the bad and take everything as a learning experience you will be so much more successful. Learn from the good and bad leaders...you will know who they are. Take the good styles from the good leader and remember the bad things the bad leader does and remember never to emulate him.

The Marine Corps has 14 Leadership Traits, but let me add two or three more to that list which I feel is the complete difference between good/not so great Marines.

First...A Marine should be ORGANIZED. If a Marine is organized with everything in a place, with all his information and knowledge written somewhere and always knows where his stuff is even in the heat of the moment you will find your speed and your abilities hightened. And when preparing for combat you cannot afford to wait on someone trying to find something crucial when you are QRF and other Marines' lives are on the line.

Secondly...A Marine should have good TIME MANAGEMENT. Most Marines do not get the concept of the 24/7 Marine and when they "fall out" at the end of the day, the day isn't fully over and there are many things to do besides crack a beer and act rowdy. Get all of your responsibilities done and out of the way first. Get those uniforms done and your knowledge read and you weapon cleaned and your room field dayed first. Do not put anything to the last minute. The Marine Corps will do enough of this for you so you have to have yourself straight first.

You will always find me with a bias for Infantry Marines, even though I am a boot, the pride, determination, and sense of duty no matter the difficulty is evident. We work in a hierarchy and a billet holding platoons. Nothing is easy, and if it seems easy, you are probably doing it wrong and expect to do it again the hard way. However, you have to learn to succeed here and you have to find the happy medium between confidence, honesty, and subordination. Know how to do things on your own and be prepared for that time that comes where you may lead, but when youre told to do something never say no and never have an excuse for why something happened. Move quickly and with confidence. Be confident when you are put in a situation that you lead that you can do it right. Dont be afraid to be honest. If you think something may be better, tactfully, explain what you saw and explain why you think it may be better. If your idea isn't used, don't get butthurt, because sometime you use an idea, but always show that you are thinking, don't be the one standing and staring during a brief or a terrain model, etc.

That brings me to my next point. ALWAYS ASK QUESTIONS. You can always learn more and get a better grasp on something if you ask questions. People say there are no dumb questions...you are right, but there are some dumb people and it is necessary that they ask these questions so they understand. The better everyone in the group understands no matter how Barney style it is, or if it has to be explained vocally, physically, and rehearsed to show how it needs to be done, do it. Everyone learns different and questions are one way to make the entire group more combat effective.

Like I have said before the Marine Corps will not GIVE you anything, you have to earn it or be ready to accept it. If you need something done or you have a problem, seek out your chain of command and get it done. Go to the places to have it done and learn where to go. If you arent ready to accept discipline and integrity you will never have it. Take everything you can and be ready to have to do it on your own.

Theres so many more things I can say here, but its getting long. Just be ready for anything in the Marine Corps. It'll be fun, It'll be hard, It'll go by fast and you dont have time to screw around because this job isn't like your local civilian job...lives are at stake. Last I will just write a few more things I have learned...a little joke mostly.

PPE = Prevents Proper Engagement
Garrison Sucks
You will get Devil Dogged even if it is 440 miles away from your home...take it with a grain of salt
Gloves are not for cold weather...they are actually meant to be worn in temperatures above 100 degrees.
Hurry up and wait is a way of life
Stay away from Jacksonville women and Female Marines...
If you find the chance to SKATE, do it wisely
Stay away from the Cheese Omelet MRE
Even a convoy of Marine Personel in Humvees can get pulled over for going 5 over
Myrtle Beach is the ****
If you put a Marine in a padded room with 2 ball bearings and come back in an hour, one will be lost and the other one will be broken
There is only one theif in the Marine Corps, everyone else is just trying to get their **** back
Never cut a salute before the officer does...you may get punched

I just can't believe it has been a year and I cannot believe that I am about to hit the ground running on a deployment. I hope you all learn something and you take it to heart. I am more than willing to answer questions if you have them.

JoeD
08-05-08, 11:11 AM
I don't really have any questions, but good luck on your deployment and stay safe!

slimmy07
08-05-08, 11:13 AM
Good Post! This stuff is so true.

NicholasITALY
08-05-08, 11:23 AM
Thanks for that !

Good luck on your 1st deployment! Get some:marine: let those bastards pay for what they have done... :evilgrin:

Rowe907
08-05-08, 12:10 PM
Definitely good stuff LCpl, I wont forget it. That bit about the gloves made me smile also.

beebe2141
08-05-08, 02:32 PM
I've had the cheese omlet MRE, I asked my Recruiter about it and he said "Yeah man, tastes fing great, you'll really like it!".

Few hours later he was laughing while I was in the restroom.

Good luck with everything!

HurricaneRJ
08-07-08, 07:24 PM
Once you hit SOI, you will eat nothing but MRE's. My favorite will have to be the Veggie Burger or Tuna.

Mike, everything you said, is so ****ing true. I'm doing a whole lot better now, got moved to another platoon, Love the **** out of my squad, and I can't wait till we set foot in Afghanistan.

Achped
08-07-08, 07:36 PM
Garrison sucks...in Jacksonville.

Garrison rules in Hawaii, the FIELD sucks in Hawaii because the field for us is the big island, where its like 20* year round and 10,000ft above sea level.

ecfree
08-07-08, 07:52 PM
HEY BOY, WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST MYRTLE BEACH........:evilgrin:
Good post Mike,enjoy your leave.
Stay focused on your deployment , and be safe.

bgsuwoody
08-07-08, 08:20 PM
I LOVE MYRTLE BEACH...BOOZE, WOMEN, BIKES, BEACH, BOOZE, WOMEN, BOOZE, ITS NOT JACKSONVILLE...I LOVE IT ALL!

Books
08-07-08, 09:30 PM
How does it actually feel to stand on the yellow footprints? I cannot even begin to imagine. How long does it last?

PhantomLord
08-07-08, 10:08 PM
Wow, that was a great read. I'm proud and honored to have you serve our country. Good luck in the sandbox and God bless.

Stay Safe, Stay Vigil,
Phantom

Integrity57
08-08-08, 12:59 AM
The Poolees better be writing this **** down somewhere, Woody is one of the most, if not the most, squared away Marines I know, and he was this squared away BEFORE he went to boot camp. God knows you're going to be a stellar squad leader and NCO some day woody, best of luck to you on your deployment, I'm jealous as hell and wish I could be going with you. But be safe and drop plenty of knowledge on these poolees before you head out brother.

Quinbo
08-08-08, 02:30 AM
Eating the cheese omelet...
Open package
Pour the liquid out and try not to look
Smash up your crackers and dump in package with omelet
Add all the hot sause
Eat don't smell it or look at it just eat.
Yummy ;)

BR34
08-08-08, 05:28 AM
How does it actually feel to stand on the yellow footprints? I cannot even begin to imagine. How long does it last?

It lasts like 5 seconds. All you're really doing is getting in line to go through processing.

bgsuwoody
08-08-08, 08:36 AM
The Poolees better be writing this **** down somewhere, Woody is one of the most, if not the most, squared away Marines I know, and he was this squared away BEFORE he went to boot camp. God knows you're going to be a stellar squad leader and NCO some day woody, best of luck to you on your deployment, I'm jealous as hell and wish I could be going with you. But be safe and drop plenty of knowledge on these poolees before you head out brother.

Damn Tony, still wish you could be here too ****ing next to me hard charging and leading Marines into the fight too, but you're still my favorite squid.

Thanks for giving me a big head lol. But I am just telling them the same thing I tell my Marines. Hey poolees you can either take this into account now, or have it force fed by me or some other NCO or Senior Lance later... I've accomplished a lot of those things that everyone talks about in their questions (Squad leader in bootcamp, one of top ITB grads, Boot team leader in and infantry line platoon and I'm a little older than most of you, God I wish I was still 18-19) YOU KNOW WHY...ITS BECAUSE I LISTENED TO A TON OF THESE MARINES HERE...ACCORD, CPL. STAM, SSGT. NELSON, CPL. BLAYLOCK, SGT. QUINN, SGT. VILLACORTE, AND MANY OTHERS INCLUDING MY BOOTCAMP SERIES COMMANDER LT. NICELY. TheIR advice and mentoring was AND STILL IS priceless. It was never all roses though. I got a few assrippings here and there...still do lol. Not even a few weeks ago I may have opened my mouth incorrectly. Surprise!!!

Its starting to get to that time that some of you 03xx Marines who leave for bootcamp in like 5-8 months will start ending up coming to my unit and may end up in my team or squad or ortherwise. Then it'll be game on lol. Learn it now...DAMN THATS WIERD TO THINK HOLY CRAP.

Books
08-08-08, 10:49 AM
I remember when you were a poolee on here. You acted the part. Scratch that, you were the part. I always thought you were just way too cocky, but it turns out you're just a hard-charging no-nonsense Marine all along! You were a Marine before most of us even realized it. Some of the stuff you said made me check whether I was spewing my beverage because of some funny **** a Marine said or you said.

jinelson
08-08-08, 11:05 AM
I remember when you were a poolee on here. You acted the part. Scratch that, you were the part. I always thought you were just way too cocky, but it turns out you're just a hard-charging no-nonsense Marine all along! You were a Marine before most of us even realized it. Some of the stuff you said made me check whether I was spewing my beverage because of some funny **** a Marine said or you said.

Yes he was and yes he is and I'm damned proud to call him brother.

Jim

bgsuwoody
08-08-08, 03:33 PM
I'm just glad I've lived up to the hype lol, but I'm even more glad that I have lived up to the reputation of the Marine Corps and the expectations of the Marines on this site.

Achped
08-08-08, 05:02 PM

You joined the Navy??? WTF when did this happen man?

HurricaneRJ
08-09-08, 07:57 AM
He left last year. He got denined because of the tatoo policy.

Kinda sucks, but at least if he wanted he could become a SEAL.

davblay
08-09-08, 10:47 AM
I'm just glad I've lived up to the hype lol, but I'm even more glad that I have lived up to the reputation of the Marine Corps and the expectations of the Marines on this site.

Woody, I'd go to war and share a fighting hole with you any day! The same goes for you Raymon! Also it's good to know Tony is in our corner if we ever serve with him anywhere in the Navy! :marine:

Semper Fi,

Dave