PDA

View Full Version : My Two Days at MEPS

Pinoytib
08-04-08, 07:14 PM
I just got back from the MEPS station at Ft. Lee in Richmond, Virginia. I am kind of dissapointed, but at the same time I cannot be anymore excited. I am dissapointed because I have to go back again for an orthopedic consultation, but at the same time I finally made weight. For being 5'5'' my max weight was 185 pounds. I weighed in this morning at 184. Exactly two years ago I weighed in at 290 pounds. To date that makes 106 pounds that I have lost. Hopefully in the next coming days, I will be able to go back and have my consultation for my knee surgery. After that I will be able to enlist into the Marine Corps. I know that this is not a very fact informing thread, but I wanted to let some of the people who support me know that I appreciate all the motivation. Thanks a lot Leatherneck.com

ecfree
08-04-08, 07:27 PM
Hey Steve,you're doing great.
Keep up the good work at losing weight....So you're eating at Subways now?
Everything WILL go okay with your knee..
Think positive son,you'll do fine......:evilgrin:

beebe2141
08-04-08, 07:28 PM
Very good to hear man. So in a few days you'll be a poolee just like us.

Try2CatchMike
08-04-08, 08:41 PM
Thats a ton of weight to lose, great job. Keep that motivation up and you will have no problem at bootcamp!

-LCPL Penfold

Leighton
08-04-08, 11:22 PM
That's motivating right there. Keep your head up and never give up on your goals. Grat job!

xbh
08-04-08, 11:29 PM
Hey Pinoytib-

First, congrats on your weight loss. That's awesome you're worked so hard for your goal.

Second, I wouldn't worry too much about your surgery. I just dep'd in 7 days ago at the same MEPS. Honestly, the people there are all pretty nice and despite what you've heard--they're not going to try their best to dq you. Most of the doctors just wanted to get us going through the physical part as quickly as possible and get on with their job.

You'll be a poolee soon enough. Good Luck!

Pinoytib
08-05-08, 11:51 AM
Thanks everyone and no ecfree, I am not eating at subway. I make my own food. Jared has come a long way too, but he is not the kind of skinny I want to be. I want to be ripped. Jared is "skinny fat." LOL

sshrader
08-05-08, 02:17 PM
haha skinny fat that is great man, congrats on the weight loss keep the motto, ive lost about 15 lbs last month got another 20-30 to be at my prime fighting weight by octoberish.

Travis89
08-05-08, 04:30 PM
Right on Steve! hurry up and go back there so we can PT together at the office next week!!

rockkornfan
08-06-08, 06:03 PM
Man, my two days at MEPs was exhausting. Even though you didn't do anything but stand and/or sit around. But, like my dad told me before I went, and the same is in RT from what I hear, you just gotta "Hurry up and wait."

Garrett90
08-07-08, 10:10 PM
The people at your MEPs where nice? I went to the one in Charlotte and those people were LOOKING to DQ anyone they could lol. None of them seemed happy at all. Maybe the fact that I was tired made me a little cranky and made me see things from a different light, idk lol

Semper-1775-Fi
08-07-08, 11:17 PM
Keep it up, there is a kid i pool with who is just like you, lost a whole lot of weight in the DEP program, he will be shipping off in a few weeks now i believe.
Best of luck to you.
Oh ya, HAHA, I absolutely understand your MEPS encounter, I was there for 13 hours because my parents divorce papers got lost or something.

JdnSmith
08-08-08, 12:02 AM
The people at your MEPs where nice? I went to the one in Charlotte and those people were LOOKING to DQ anyone they could lol.

I believe that is there job. Those people at MEPS catch a lot of s***. I'll be honest though, I admire what they do. A lot of people complain about their time at MEPS but imagine being there and dealing with s***bags 5 days a week. The people I encountered at MEPS seemed to have some sense of pride for what they do, which is very respectful.

Semper-1775-Fi
08-08-08, 08:32 AM
You've brought up a good point Jdn. Thinking that way, I don't understand how they put up with it.

bonnjanry
08-08-08, 08:48 AM
I'm looking at your myspace picture from your profile and I want to know if that is an US Air Force shirt?:thumbdown :sick:

Pinoytib
08-08-08, 08:58 AM
It is an United States Air Force shirt. If you read the rest of the profile, or just look at the rest of the pictures. You can tell that my girlfriend just graduated from air force basic training. I will continue to show my pride for her. Don't get me wrong though, if not for her I would not be wearing one. LOL

bonnjanry
08-08-08, 09:47 AM
Ah I see. Gratz to her.

Garrett90
08-08-08, 11:32 AM
For anyone whos gone to MEPs, how many people were there total, and how many were there for the Marines? lol. My dad told me when he went to MEPs in '89, he was the only one there for the Marines, and when they were all sitting in a row of chairs, he looked down the row and saw what seemed like 100 heads turned and looking at him, and one of them belted out "Are you crazy or retarded?" I thought he was exaggerating, but when I went a few months ago, I was one of just two people there for the Marines, and some of the guys that were there for the Navy came up and shook my hand telling me I had "nads," but I was like....okay but i havent accomplished anything yet, im just here as of now lol. My dad told me a long time ago you have to be somewhat demented to join his beloved Corps, which is why he joined, and which is I guess why i joined lol.

Semper-1775-Fi
08-08-08, 08:22 PM
i happened to be there on a day where 23 other guys were shipping and 3 others DEPing for Marines, where as there was about 50 others for the other branches. My recruiter said that that was an extremely large amount though.

Pinoytib
08-11-08, 09:53 AM
Alright, so I am going back up to MEPS tomorrow and by Wednesday afternoon I should have sworn in and hopefully will have my ship out date. I just have to pass my orthopedic consultation for my knee and then I will be good to go. Wish me luck

sshrader
08-11-08, 09:56 AM
good luck!

Pinoytib
08-13-08, 09:36 PM
I just got back from Ft. Lee again today, but this time I DEP'd in and I ship out 20081208

yellowwing
08-13-08, 09:47 PM
20081208, well that gives you time to get ripped and beyond 'skinny fat' :D

Pinoytib
08-13-08, 09:51 PM
That is exactly what I plan on doing. I run three miles in 23-24 minutes, I can do 79 crunches, and only a weak 8 pull ups. But this gives me more time to get stronger and faster. How do I get my status changed to poolee?

UsmcMotorT
08-14-08, 06:35 AM
I just got back from the MEPS station at Ft. Lee in Richmond, Virginia. I am kind of dissapointed, but at the same time I cannot be anymore excited. I am dissapointed because I have to go back again for an orthopedic consultation, but at the same time I finally made weight. For being 5'5'' my max weight was 185 pounds. I weighed in this morning at 184. Exactly two years ago I weighed in at 290 pounds. To date that makes 106 pounds that I have lost. Hopefully in the next coming days, I will be able to go back and have my consultation for my knee surgery. After that I will be able to enlist into the Marine Corps. I know that this is not a very fact informing thread, but I wanted to let some of the people who support me know that I appreciate all the motivation. Thanks a lot Leatherneck.com

Pinoy in Va? What part, I'm filipino too and if you're in Va Beach and have any questions I'll be happy to help.

Anyways, not sure if 185lbs is the max weight to enter the marine corps from MEPS, all I know is when you're in the fleet your max weight is 165lbs. Because I'm also 65 inches and that's the height and weight standard. I weigh about 175 with less than 18% body fat so I'm able to get by plus I have a first class PFT. Good luck!

Pinoytib
08-14-08, 09:19 AM
I am from Lynchburg, which is 3 hours to the west in central Virginia. 184 was the max weight I could be to DEP in but 174 is the max I can be to ship out to boot camp.