PDA

View Full Version : plane tickets and tricks

Whitey
08-04-08, 06:07 PM
What are the best places to get tickets and how many places actually hook up military personnel? I'm going home on RA/PTAD within the next week hopefully and i can't really afford the tickets im seeing. anyone know the best way to get really low tickets aside from hopping on a c130

Mytcbra96
08-04-08, 06:49 PM
Try http://www.cheaptickets.com/ I know my wife gets good deals there.:flag:

SlaveToTheCorps
08-04-08, 06:51 PM
When I decide to just go for a quick weekend vacation, I use Fare Cast (http://farecast.live.com/) to find quick tickets in a jiffy. I hope that helps...

Respectfully,
Vanessa-Rose

greensideout
08-04-08, 10:27 PM
What's wrong with the C-130? I took those hops several times and thought it was great.

Achped
08-05-08, 12:26 AM
Timing usually, they're not very common from what I've seen.

YOu think its bad in pensacola?

Try being in Hawaii! 1000$ down the drain just to go home!

It's cheaper to go to Japan... and more fun too :) Ohayo Gozaimas!! Kawaii!!!

Petz
08-05-08, 10:46 PM
achped... you're a dork... I mean that with love, My wife is Japanese which makes my daughter half so.... you're a dork.

hahaha, I would be doing space-A flights off the rock then hopping on the next comercial flight I could if there wasn't another space-A going my direction.

Whitey
08-05-08, 10:47 PM
oh i gotta change that. i'm at pendleton now for 2141 school

Petz
08-05-08, 10:53 PM
41 school... is that ammo tech? or the bean counter?

Achped
08-06-08, 03:56 AM
achped... you're a dork... I mean that with love, My wife is Japanese which makes my daughter half so.... you're a dork.

hahaha, I would be doing space-A flights off the rock then hopping on the next comercial flight I could if there wasn't another space-A going my direction.

I'd love to maybe have a commonality with you one day SSgt, maybe, just maybe, we could BOTH have Japanese wives. You're already set, I'm still working on it, But the ones that visit Hawaii are rich and snobbish, nothing like the girls I met on their home turf in Oki. :cool:

Petz
08-06-08, 08:22 AM
Oki girls are what my wife calls "not real japanese"... apparently japan conquered the island just before WWII.... interesting huh.

As for the snobbish girls in Hawaii, they are spending daddy's money and are there for fun, most of whom probably would get they're ass kicked by daddy if they ****ed up while there.... don't forget that Yakuza own craps load of property in waikiki... at one point in the late 80's they owned almost all the hotels in downtown.

Chumley
08-06-08, 11:01 AM
I'd love to maybe have a commonality with you one day SSgt, maybe, just maybe, we could BOTH have Japanese wives. You're already set, I'm still working on it, But the ones that visit Hawaii are rich and snobbish, nothing like the girls I met on their home turf in Oki. :cool:

I think that most of the Japanese tourists in Hawaii are experiencing the great currency exchange rate against the American dollar...most are probably of average wealth in Japan.

Chumley
08-06-08, 11:07 AM
I found the easiest site to book was on Expedia dot com. I got phenonenal rates last year to Hawaii from Newark, NJ, but to do so you usually have to scan ahead and find when rates are low, then plan ahead accordingly. I booked the Hawaii trip in March and flew in August. $480 round trip!!!!!! That was pure luck!

In general, it seems that you get better rates on Tues / Wed / Thurday, so if you can travel on those days you might get lucky. Also, the first week in December is usually the cheapest to anywhere in the world.

When flying last minute, you are usually stuck with highest prices, unless you have enough time to fly standby. Standby is risky though - you could end up UA if you don't catch a flight.

SFi
C

Petz
08-06-08, 11:11 AM
chumley, unless the exhange rate has flipped drastically then they are spending MORE since it's historically aroun 115 yen to the dollar.

bgsuwoody
08-06-08, 11:24 AM
Its not any better in Lejeune...even if I travel 2 hours to go out of Raleigh in order to get to Columbus/Detroit/Cleveland it is upwards of 600-1000 dollars by the time I actually get definitive leave dates. I just can't pay these prices so I waste 12 hours and drive home. Its ridiculous.

Chumley
08-06-08, 11:27 AM
chumley, unless the exhange rate has flipped drastically then they are spending MORE since it's historically aroun 115 yen to the dollar.

Thanks for the corrected info SSgt! They must be doing something right over there then, 'cause the Japanese in HI do live large.

Petz
08-06-08, 11:31 AM
the Japanese love to take vacations.... it's a billion dollar industry over there. They work long hours and don't get extra pay and take a lot of stress so when the vacation, some people take out loans on their house or have saved up towards 10,000 dollars

I've seen Japanese girls work for 3 months to buy a luis vitton hand bag for 1,000 dollars.... just to have it..... it's plastic coated vinyl!!!! what the hell!!! anyways, women everywhere mystify me.

Achped
08-06-08, 12:12 PM
Chumley, you know LuLus right? :) :)

Achped
08-06-08, 12:15 PM
the Japanese love to take vacations.... it's a billion dollar industry over there. They work long hours and don't get extra pay and take a lot of stress so when the vacation, some people take out loans on their house or have saved up towards 10,000 dollars

I've seen Japanese girls work for 3 months to buy a luis vitton hand bag for 1,000 dollars.... just to have it..... it's plastic coated vinyl!!!! what the hell!!! anyways, women everywhere mystify me.

Haha, I saw this in a "mall" somewhere in Oki, don't ask me what it was, I have no idea what it was callled. All I know is there was very little AC, the ice cream tasted like ass, and Japanese girls were abundant I know it was close to Cocosai because it was only like a 5 minute honcho ride.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/5896/p7050029gz7.jpg

The funny thing is, they wear shirts like that to Hawaii because they think its cool and thats what Americans wear...but...we just laugh at them lol

Petz
08-06-08, 12:22 PM
http://www.engrish.com/image/engrish/wake-up.jpg (http://www.engrish.com/image/engrish/wake-up.jpg)

yeah... they have this as well.

Vir Bellum
08-06-08, 12:25 PM
Try airgorilla.com , travelocity do not put any dates and see the fare sales that they have for the month, also alot times see what deals they have on the vacation packages, many times you get a better flight , time etc.

I took off to Rio de Jainero and I used priceline the day before I wanted to leave, paid right at 700 for the flight itself ( closer to a grand after taxes and junk fees ) using name my own price, you will have to be flexible but you get a hell of deal.

davblay
08-06-08, 12:42 PM
I was just sitting here reading this thread when it reminded me of the way I traveled in the late 60s and early 70s. I don't know how it was set up, if it was thru an agreement with DOD and the airlines or what, but they had what they called "Military Stand By"! I remember the good and the bad point of this mod of travel very clearly!

The way I recall, you had to be in uniform when you flew and you had to wait until the plane boarded, then they would do a count on any empty seats. If there were empty seats, then they would come out and call for that many "stand by" flyers. The tickets were at a fraction of the cost of a regular ticket and there was always a chance that you would wind up flying First class, where the meals and drinks were free.

Now the down side was if you stopped for a lay over, or whatever, during your flight, new passengers would board, and some would deplane, now if the plane was full of regular passengers, then you would get bumped off that flight and have to wait until the next plane left with space for you, going in your direction. Furtunatley, that never happened to me, Thank God, but I have seen it happen.

You had to allow extra travel time just in case of a bump like that, but the cost from LAX to Nashville was $47.00, where as regular cost was about $495.00 (in 1969)......so you can see the savings. Used to fly Piedmonte Airlines from Atlanta to Ral. N.C. for $30.00 on an old 4 prop plane from the WW II ERA. They always felt like the props were going to come off at any minute, no sleeping on that flight, LMAO!

Now I could be wrong on some of the details, I am sure some of the older salts know about this as well, but that is the way I remember it.

How times and cost have changed! LMAO

To bad they don't have such things for you young pups, it sure was a life saver for me.

Dave

Petz
08-06-08, 01:16 PM
http://www.engrish.com/image/engrish/****-it-all.jpg

here's a new one for you.... go Japanese clothing!!!!

Chumley
08-06-08, 01:23 PM
Chumley, you know LuLus right? :) :)

Negative. I did spend waaaaaaay too many nights in some shady sections downtown honolulu, but if it's in Kailua or Kaneohe, I don't remember. I like the sound of it already though :beer: