PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry In The Marine Corps

RandallH1989
08-03-08, 08:29 AM
Does anybody know the rules about having a concealed carry pistol in the Marine Corps? If I have a permit, can I carry concealed on base? I suppose I could just call PMO, but I was wondering if anybody here knew.

CH53MetalMan
08-03-08, 08:30 AM
No way!

thewookie
08-03-08, 08:45 AM
Does anybody know the rules about having a concealed carry pistol in the Marine Corps? If I have a permit, can I carry concealed on base? I suppose I could just call PMO, but I was wondering if anybody here knew.

You can not carry concealed on base without prior PMO and or Base CO approval, and it doesn't matter what state issued you the permit.

Zulu 36
08-03-08, 09:32 AM
You can not carry concealed on base without prior PMO and or Base CO approval, and it doesn't matter what state issued you the permit.

A state CCW permit has zero application on a military base anywhere, whether for military personnel or civilians. Technically, even a civilian police officer (non-federal) is generally not allowed to carry a weapon aboard a military base (with some exceptions).

RandallH1989
08-03-08, 10:31 AM
So from what I understand, I can apply for it? I'm guessing my chances of being approved are almost nil.

Zulu 36
08-03-08, 10:47 AM
So from what I understand, I can apply for it? I'm guessing my chances of being approved are almost nil.

About the only people ever approved for CCW on Marine bases are NCIS agents, PMO CID agents (usually only on-duty in plain clothes), certain others (sometimes, mostly overseas, counterintelligence people), general officers or commanders of sensitive units may also be authorized. Navy SEALS or DELTA operators may have authorization too.

Most federal agents are OK as long as they have their commission books (credentials) with them. Civilian police officers, on official business, on-duty, are usually OK.

When I was in the Air Guard, there were many civilian police officers in my unit. Most brought their off-duty guns, but kept them locked in their cars during the duty day. The base command turned a blind-eye and there were never any problems that I can remember. Don't expect that laxity on a Marine Corps base.

RandallH1989
08-03-08, 11:03 AM
Thanks. Damn, that's a bummer.

I have another question: When I store a firearm in the armory, if I want to take it to a range out in town, it's as easy as checking it out and driving off base with the thing, then bringing it back and checking it back in to the armory, right? This is something I can ask someone on base about, but if someone here knows the rule that would be easier.

Zulu 36
08-03-08, 11:16 AM
Thanks. Damn, that's a bummer.

I have another question: When I store a firearm in the armory, if I want to take it to a range out in town, it's as easy as checking it out and driving off base with the thing, then bringing it back and checking it back in to the armory, right? This is something I can ask someone on base about, but if someone here knows the rule that would be easier.

What do you need to carry a gat for on-base anyway? It ain't like wandering around Detroit.

As far as getting your armory stored firearms out for a day at the range, yes, it is generally about that easy. Except, you will have to plan the pickup and turn-in since most unit armories are not open 24/7.

I used to get my guns out on Friday afternoon, give them to one of the guys I was going shooting with who lived off-base, and he kept them until he came to work Monday morning, when I turned them back in. I still have and use the same pistol case I bought in 1975 for just this purpose.

Petz
08-03-08, 12:46 PM
hey!!! I kinda take offense to that Detroit comment..... though it's kinda true.....

I have known people to buy firearms while in, and you are not allowed to keep them... they have to be registered with your unit and as previously stated you have to plan around the armory for pick-up and delivery... but be warned.... you can not carry the ammo and weapon within reach while on base ( I remember PMO friend telling me that while I was active) and transporting the weapon.

I could be a bit off, but I'm still accurate.

P.S. Zulu... what the crap is with all your ribbons... you must spend close to 100 dollars to mount that stuff.

Wyoming
08-03-08, 09:08 PM
P.S. Zulu... what the crap is with all your ribbons... you must spend close to 100 dollars to mount that stuff

Jeez, here he goes again!!

Petz
08-03-08, 09:12 PM
I'm saying that as a compliment AL.

That chest would send me into a state of awe if I saw it in person.

Zulu 36
08-04-08, 06:41 AM
hey!!! I kinda take offense to that Detroit comment..... though it's kinda true.....

P.S. Zulu... what the crap is with all your ribbons... you must spend close to 100 dollars to mount that stuff.

I'm from Detroit and I worked as a cop right next door for years. It's really true.

I've got 22 total ribbons and a bunch of devices between the Corps and the Air Guard (mostly the Guard). None of them mean anything super special except "been there, done that." I looked like a Third World dictator, truth be known. Now they are all just mounted once in a shadow box and there they stay.

Petz
08-05-08, 07:54 PM
I'm a detroit native and you can see I'm in the area... where you now?

P.S. what city were you the 5.0 at?