PDA

View Full Version : Camp Lejeune Marines slated for 2009 deployment to Iraq

thedrifter
08-01-08, 04:41 PM
Camp Lejeune Marines slated for 2009 deployment to Iraq

7/31/2008 By II MEF (Fwd) Public Affairs , II Marine Expeditionary Force

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — During a recent ceremony aboard Camp Lejeune, the II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward) was established to spearhead Marine efforts in Iraq in 2009.

This activation marks the third time since Operation Iraqi Freedom began in March 2003 that the II Marine Expeditionary Force will take the lead for counter-insurgency and security and stability operations in Iraq’s Al Anbar province.

During the ceremony, Lt. Gen. Keith J. Stalder, who has since passed the reins of II MEF to Lt. Gen. Dennis J. Hejlik, gave control of II MEF (Fwd) to Maj. Gen. Richard T. Tryon.

“Unless we are directed otherwise, our role and mission will effectively continue to be one of stability operations,” said Tryon, a 1975 Naval Academy graduate and career infantry officer. “[We] will set the conditions for success -- both our success, as well as the success of the Iraqi nation.”

II MEF (Fwd) will deploy as a Marine Air-Ground Task Force (MAGTF), a Marine-unique warfighting organization that places ground combat, aviation combat, and combat logistical support forces under the operational control of a single commander and his staff. Tryon was selected to lead II MEF (Fwd) while serving as the commanding general of the 2nd Marine Division, and his staff was drawn from throughout II MEF.

The activation of II MEF (Fwd) coincides with the Defense Department’s announcement on June 30 that the Camp Lejeune-based Regimental Combat Teams (RCTs) 6 and 8 were alerted for deployments to Iraq in early 2009.

In addition to RCTs 6 and 8, II MEF (Fwd) will serve as the command element for units from the 2nd Marine Logistics Group, 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing and other units from within II MEF. II MEF (Fwd) will deploy with Brig. Gen. John E. Wissler as deputy commanding general, Brig. Gen. Larry D. Nicholson as the ground combat element commander, Brig. Gen. Robert S. Walsh as the aviation combat element commander, and Brig. Gen.-select Juan G. Ayala as the combat logistics element commander.

“If I could have picked a team, this is the team I would have chosen because of their professional qualifications,” Tryon said during the activation ceremony. “I know first-hand the professional passions of these officers is absolutely top notch. I look forward to working with each of you commanders as we move forward in the future.”

Once the most volatile region in Iraq, the Al Anbar province where II MEF (Fwd) will deploy has seen a dramatic decrease in violence in recent years through the combined efforts of Iraqi forces and the rotating annual deployments of II MEF and the California-based I MEF.

In addressing the senior officer and enlisted leadership of II MEF (Fwd), Tryon emphasized that their upcoming tour in Iraq would not be a dull deployment, and that keeping the province stable and transitioning to full Iraqi control will be a complex and challenging endeavor.

For more information on II MEF (Fwd), visit the unit’s web site at http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil, and to learn about the ongoing mission in Iraq, go to http://www.mnfwest.usmc.mil.

Ellie