PDA

View Full Version : Honor Platoon criteria

MacLobo
08-01-08, 08:52 AM
Hello,
I've queried on Google and now this site attempting to learn more about how the "honor platoon" is picked at MCRD. I have not found any good info.
Could someone please explain which contests are used for determining the honor platoon and how the scoring works?

Thank You.

yellowwing
08-01-08, 09:01 AM
There is the Drill Competition, PT, Rifle Range, and the spelling bee. The high PT in any platoon usually gets high gratitude either way, not so much the spelling geek.

MacLobo
08-01-08, 02:38 PM
yellowwing,
If I understand you correctly, more emphasis is placed on PFT than Academics?

Does anyone know the actual list of contests used in determining Honor Platoon?
Thanks.

Petz
08-01-08, 02:46 PM
he was right... but I think when he said spelling bee he mean the basic skills test.... which has gotten harder since he was a lowly boot.

a Marine is useless if he can't PT... shoot... or drill. those are the majority of the score...

you have initial drill (scored)
rifle range (scored)
final drill (scored)
PFT (scored)

pretty much in that order... I think BST is there somewhere but no-one cared about that when I went.

there were uniform inspections but that was tie breaker stuff.

how they score is for the MCRD to decide and you to wonder about.

and in the end, it's a team effort... no one recruit has ever made a crap platoon the honor platoon. You all succeed or you all fail, together.

MacLobo
08-01-08, 05:09 PM
Sgt Petzold,
Thanks for the info.
I was just curious.
I fully realize it is very much a team effort and more of a reflection on how good the DI(s) is, than any individual recruit.

darkgreen0311
08-01-08, 06:39 PM
I thought my platoon was very good we had initial prac trophy, initial drill, rifle range. We didn't have the pft trophy and lost final drill. I thought we would of been honor platoon. Our senior told us we were one of the best platoon he had trained. I never knew how they actually picked honor platoon.

:marine:Semper FI 4 Life
Give me liberty or i'll get it myself!!!

Petz
08-01-08, 11:21 PM
each area has it's own points and you'll add those up in the end... the honor platoon for my company took inital and final drill and cheated on the PFT by not counting our crunches... many of us who constantly got 120 - 200 (yess we had a guy who did 200) were only getting 60-80... our senior fought like hell about that. but we took the range and that other cheap win.... since we took the range we got to pick where we wanted to work on team week... too bad our senior chose the range chow hall so we could practice on the grinder for final drill.... didn't help at all.

MacLobo
08-02-08, 12:49 AM
Thank you all for the input. I've been doing lots of research.
I just found out that my son's platoon took second in the Honor Platoon contest.
You won't believe it but...in the PFT, their average beat the winning platoon in pull ups and running, but they lost out on crunches...lol.
They also took first in Final Drill, beating the Honor Plt by 1.25 pts. The Honor Plt won Initial Drill by only .33 points over my son's platoon.

It was a closely fought contest and I'll bet it all came down to those crunches...lol

Next is the Crucible and graduation.

Thanks again.

jarheadlady
08-02-08, 05:56 AM
MacLobo... there is also a final inspection after the crucible (I believe) of the series commander. That information you have could swing the other way still unless the trophy has already been handed out.

Old Marine
08-02-08, 08:56 AM
As far as I am concerned, Honor Plt. means nothing. My platoons used to wear out the last place position in front of the Depot Theater, but that didn't make them any worse than the Honor Plt. Each and every Private was a Basically Trained Marine and there was no cheating by any of my platoons. I rest my case.....

jarheadlady
08-02-08, 10:41 AM
Ahhh, Gunny I have to agree 100%!!!!!! When my son was on the island 3 years ago, his platoon had the series honor grad and they were "the worst platoon in the series"! LOL When you are there, it means a lot, but once you leave it doesnt mean jack shi*. Its not like any of that goes in your SRB! When you open an SRB it doesnt say "member of the Honor Platoon at PI/MCRD"

Petz
08-02-08, 12:49 PM
the honor grad gets a mer. mast or cir com don't they? I'm thinking mer. mast... but that should be in they're SRB. The honor platoon crap means nothing other than bragging rights for the DI, who might actually get something in they're FitReps... recruiters are judged by they're numbers, so I would suspect DIs get judged somehow at every level.

Brewer0311
08-02-08, 01:48 PM
[quote=Sgt Petzold;375914]the honor grad gets a mer. mast or cir com don't they? I'm thinking mer. mast... but that should be in they're SRB. quote]

They get a Meritorious promotion. The only time they don't is if it is a company that doesn't offer meritorious LCpl and the Marine is contract PFC. (Happened in my company and then I have a friend that graduated a week before me that got Meritorious LCpl) Our SDI said it just depends on the company.

jarheadlady
08-02-08, 03:50 PM
Yes, honor men/women get a promotion but nothing for the honor "platoon" other than the bragging rights on the island. After that, no one cares.

Petz
08-03-08, 12:18 PM
well why did my platoon get 6 meritorious promotions? I'm wondering if this is normal? it was private to PFC ONLY, I'm wondering if our SDI worked something out over the cheating thing....... hmmmmmmmmmm.... please answer me!!!

besides, with a meritorious promotion I think they would get a meritorious mast.......

Brewer0311
08-03-08, 01:18 PM
well why did my platoon get 6 meritorious promotions? I'm wondering if this is normal? it was private to PFC ONLY, I'm wondering if our SDI worked something out over the cheating thing....... hmmmmmmmmmm.... please answer me!!!

besides, with a meritorious promotion I think they would get a meritorious mast.......

It isn't really uncommon. We had 5 from our platoon get meritorious promotion. Mostly squad leaders and what not.

Petz
08-03-08, 05:47 PM
ah, so that's a normal thing. Well none of our squad leaders got ****, we had recruits who showed more potential than those idiots. I swear I think they were put in those positions because they needed more "work".