PDA

View Full Version : Disability Rating/Comp.

fjmas1976
07-31-08, 11:30 PM
:flag:Is it possible to have a VA disabilty percentage rating re-evaluated and removed? I am currently 20% (2 ratings of 10% each) and want to get one of the 10% removed if it is possible. The 10% applies to a medical condition that I no longer have and feel it casts a negative shadow on me. Any help or advice is appreciated.:flag:

FistFu68
08-01-08, 06:08 AM
:evilgrin: GOOD LUCK MARINE :evilgrin: :iwo:

oldtop
08-01-08, 08:58 AM
You can request re-evaluation of a condition at any time. Usually, this is done to request an increase in your rating, however if the VA finds that a condition has decreased in severity, the rating can be lowered. The condition will not be removed from your "code sheet" even if it is reduced to 0%. The only way your condition can "cast a negative shadow" on you is if you tell someone about it yourself. By law, the VA cannot disclose your condition(s) to anyone except under extremely rare circumstances.
Best advice: leave it alone...you earned the 10%...let it ride.

Semper Fi

Ed Palmer
08-01-08, 09:07 AM
Like TOP says if it aint broke dont fix it

Petz
08-01-08, 09:41 AM
what are you? nuts?

don't ever get rid of disability!!! I'm 70% and am still being a Marine!!!

you get rid of it and you'll never get that money back... that money is compensation from the government, and if anyone uses that to make any kind of judgement on you they are breaking the law and can get a huge fine.

don't worry about what others think and just sit there and collect your money. Think of it as COLA post military life.

fjmas1976
08-01-08, 12:58 PM
Yeah...I knew I would catch heat from that question. I guess if I can't get it removed, I might as well keep it the 10% (as compared to getting it reduced to 0%) and at least collect the $$$$. Thanks for the replies Marines....Semper Fi:flag:

Petz
08-01-08, 01:03 PM
besides... the higher you rating the more money actually goes into the VA system... which means when you don't goto the VA for health care other veterans get better care and coverage ... it's that lump sum at the end of the year that the hospitals have left over that they can buy stuff they want, not just what they need.

dpawson
08-10-08, 03:36 AM
leave it alone brother. if someone thinks negitavely of you for what you gave to your country, they have issues, not you.

zahnenrm3
08-14-08, 08:07 PM
I am rated at 30% for being a combat/martial arts instructor and I want my rating increased. Everyday I still feel pain in my back and neck. Whatever you do never request to have your percentage lowered nor should you ever say you pain is lower than an 8 on a scale from 1-10. I have also had surgery on my right foot and the VA gave me a 0% rating for it? haha They took a tumor out and I have a beautiful 3.5 inch scare now. I agree with "dpawson" about riding out your current percentage. We have all served our country and no one can every feel the pain and suffering that we have endured. I am a new member here and I look forward to receiving advice from all my fellow veterans and current active duty Marines. Thanks everyone.

Alpha1Devildog
08-14-08, 08:46 PM
If you want to feel better about it donate what you would to a charity of your choice, your church, etc., but in no way should you feel negative about it.

Petz
08-15-08, 01:37 AM
never accept a rating for any individual thing for more than 30% if you still want to serve.... they will med sep you permantly with a re-enlistment code to match.

crate78
08-15-08, 12:04 PM
Zahn, was anything ever said about the scar on your foot? Or isn't the scar a result of a service connected issue?

I'm rated 30% for a service connected back injury, and it's actually 20% for the back injury/problem and 10% for the scar from a back operation-which nobody ever sees unless I'm in my skivvies. I hadn't even thought of the scar issue, but the doctor who evaluated my back explained it and said they're limited to 10% for scars that are not normally visible. For a service connected scar, say on your face, they can give a higher rating just for the scar because it's considered a disfigurement even if there's no impairment.

Like I said, I hadn't even thought of the scar until the doctor brought it up.

crate

Petz
08-15-08, 11:52 PM
that is a great point... though I think it's a certain size requirement.... a female told me it had to be a certain size... this she told me weeks before you sep'd.

zahnenrm3
05-02-09, 12:08 AM
Zahn, was anything ever said about the scar on your foot? Or isn't the scar a result of a service connected issue?

I'm rated 30% for a service connected back injury, and it's actually 20% for the back injury/problem and 10% for the scar from a back operation-which nobody ever sees unless I'm in my skivvies. I hadn't even thought of the scar issue, but the doctor who evaluated my back explained it and said they're limited to 10% for scars that are not normally visible. For a service connected scar, say on your face, they can give a higher rating just for the scar because it's considered a disfigurement even if there's no impairment.

Like I said, I hadn't even thought of the scar until the doctor brought it up.

crate

Actually, I am not receiving anything for my scar and I started receiving compensation late 2007. My scar is around 2-1/2 inches long and it is still "very" visible but I didn't push the issue. This past visit I mentioned it but we'll see what comes about. It is a service connected injury. I had surgery done May 2007. The doctor said it was a tumor and was caused by continuous pressure and stress on my right foot. I think it was because my GySgt loved running in boots. haha 3-6 miles everyday will do it to you I guess... The doctor also mentioned claiming "depression". I had to be hooked up to a heart monitor because sharp pain would hit me in the middle of the night, so I just added depression on my list since I can't really sleep at night... Yeah, I'm a broke dick... Still kickin though! Semper Fi.

DocGreek
05-02-09, 11:02 AM
Being paid disability compensation, while on ACTIVE DUTY??? WTF?? How can you go into battle....kill the enemy...and survive...with ANY disability???....DOC

SammyJo
11-27-09, 01:43 AM
You cannot received service connected disability while on active duty. It's against the law. If you do get activated/rejoin and are received a s/c disability, you will lose that disability rating while on active duty.