PDA

View Full Version : A hero among heroes

thedrifter
07-31-08, 06:27 AM
A hero among heroes
By Denise Rockenstein--Staff reporter
Article Last Updated: 07/30/2008 11:59:25 PM PDT

CLEARLAKE -- A grieving mother found the strength to speak of her son on Wednesday. In a room filled with childhood pictures, Denise Wilson shared memories and commendations of her son Pfc. Ivan Wilson, who was killed in the line of duty last week.

Pfc. Wilson was on his second tour of duty serving his country in the United States Marine Corps. He was killed July 21 while supporting combat operations in the Helmand province, Afghanistan. The 22-year-old Marine was the first serviceman from Lake County to lose his life in the current war in the Middle East.

With the knowledge that the community in which her son was raised, hungers for answers, Denise Wilson mustered the courage yesterday to speak of the sacrifice made by her son. Wilson described a child not unlike most, with dreams and aspirations, triumphs and defeats.

"Ivan lived life on life's terms. He experienced defeats and triumphs in his life, but those things never kept him from moving forward in life," Wilson said. "He was always a happy and loving son, even though he had his ins and outs. He had his good days and bad days; overall he was a very happy and well-loved young man with a promising future."

Wilson raised her son in the Konocti Unified School District. Pfc. Wilson attended Lower Lake Elementary School, Oak Hill Middle School and Lower Lake High School. He graduated from Clearlake Community School with the Class of 2004.

After high school, Pfc. Wilson tried his hand at several endeavors and adventures. Although short lived, he had sought furthering his education and enrolled in the College of the Redwoods. Finding that he was not ready for more schooling, he entered the workforce, taking on jobs in various fields. At one point, he had decided to go to Alaska and become a fisherman on an off-shore fishing boat.

Wilson said her son didn't quite make it all the way to Alaska and ended up finding work in Seattle while living in a tent city. Pfc. Wilson came back to Lake County with just the clothes on his back, his mother said. "No doubt because he had given everything to someone else who needed it more than he did," added Ginny Craven, a close family friend who has been helping Mrs. Wilson through this ordeal.

Pfc. Wilson joined the Marine Corps in Sept. 2005. "He chose to join the Marines when other things just weren't working in his world, but he felt it was one of the best decisions he had made in a very long time when he made that first call to them," Wilson said. "As his mom, I want to say how very proud I am of him for all he accomplished and I know and believe that he is amongst the other fallen Marines in the heavenly skies."

According to many of the correspondences Wilson has received from her son's fellow Marines, serving his country was well-fitting of him. Many of the Marines, who extended condolences to the Wilson family, were in agreement that the young man was selfless, courageous, strong, brave and a great warrior. They all referred to "Willy," which is the nickname he earned in the service, as being very humorous as well.

"I wish I could say something to take away any pain you are feeling because I know that you are experiencing what every Marine here is," wrote Lcpl. Collin Raaz. "What I can say is that he will never be forgotten by the Marines who served with him. He wore a smile from ear-to-ear and had the most contagious laughter I know of. There wasn't anyone who we would rather have with us on a patrol because you knew he would never hesitate, complain or relax when it came to his job. Everyone here trusted and loved him unconditionally."

Many thanked Mrs. Wilson for raising a son so strong who paid the ultimate sacrifice for his country. "He challenged us and made us better Marines, better people," wrote Adalid Flores Pelayo. "Please, take this moment to pause, close your eyes, take a deep breath and take pride in what your son has done for the United States and the world. Thank you, once again, for being a strong mother to a great man."

"Ivan was a brave man who selflessly put himself in harm's way so others would not have to," wrote Lieutenant Colonel Richard D. Hall, commanding officer. "He was a patriot who stood and fought for freedom in a land where our enemies would deny decent people the opportunity to live peaceful and productive lives. Your son stood against them and his bold efforts will surely prevail."

One Marine thanked Mrs. Wilson for her son having once saved his life. He said that he hopes to meet her one day to thank her in person for her son's actions.

As a family of Marines grieves abroad and a family grieves here in Clearlake, Pfc. Wilson's family of Lake County residents will have an opportunity to gain closure in the coming weeks. Craven is currently coordinating with local law officials to conduct the motorcade that will deliver Pfc. Wilson's remains to Lake County. The event is expected to take place on August 14. Final details are yet to be determined; however, further information is forthcoming and will be publicized. A closed-casket memorial will be available for public viewing on Friday, August 15 at Jones & Lewis Memorial Chapel in Lower Lake.

Funeral services with full military honors are scheduled for Saturday, August 16 at Queen of Peace Church in Clearlake; time to be announced. According to Lt.Col. Hall, Pfc. Ivan Wilson has been promoted to Lance Corporal posthumously.

Contact Denise Rockenstein at drockenstein@clearlakeobserver.com.

Ellie