PDA

View Full Version : Not being disrepectful just wondering

yhw01
07-31-08, 01:29 AM
Hello Marines, I'm Kenny, right now I'm in the Delay Entry Program and need to pick my MOS. Here are a few questions in mind that i need answers for them. Do Infantry people get more respects in the Marine Corp than those who are not Combat Related? Are Infantry Marine more prouder? Are they more physically and mentally prepared than other non combat related Marines? How are Marines of other MOS seen as? For me I've always thought that all Marines were infantry until i found out last week that there were motor transports, admins, cooks, and others. From all the movies I've seen and stories I've heard they were all about infantry that fought and die so I guess i got mess up. I'm not trying to disrespect Marines of other MOS just wondering if what i thought is true. Thanks!!!!

Achped
07-31-08, 01:34 AM
The reason you thought all Marines are infantry is because all Marines are riflemen. They seriously don't play around when they say that even if you are admin, you will get shot at and return fire. I have personally seen a clerk at IPAC (basically a big office with alot of cubicles) with a combat action ribbon, SHE wasn't a lat-move either. Apparently she was manning a VCP in al anbar when a truck drove by shooting at them.

Are Marines more mentally or physically prepared? I would say yes, but only because that's their job. They don't do supply work 90% of the time and shoot enemies the other 10%. Their only job is to locate, close with, and destroy the enemy.

Do they get more respect? Amongst themselves they are more tight knit (once you get hazed) and have a closer bond with each other, but as for outsiders looking at the grunts... the girls won't pay any attention to you and the guys will think you're all A-holes because you travel around in big "boot" packs and drink beer like its water.

These are just what I've seen at Lejeune and here in Hawaii. if anyone else has any thoughts or corrections on this feel free.

Chumley
07-31-08, 08:43 AM
You will be respected as a Marine no matter the MOS you pick. You should choose wisely because the training you receive will set the stage for your career, expecially if you choose one in the Marine...

AL49BGN
07-31-08, 08:54 AM
Every Marine is a basic Rifleman,however having been Infantry myself I am most certainly biased.Every Marine MOS is important in the Corps and every Marine MOS commands respect.

CplKJSpevak
07-31-08, 08:55 AM
if anyone else has any thoughts or corrections on this feel free.

Very good answer Devil Dog,
I would also like to tell the poolee, Don't start believing that your status as a United States Marine varies, depending on your MOS. My meanest, baddest DI was an admin. MOS. All the grunts I knew were pretty cool guys, but one thing stuck out to me. They didn't seem to understand how the rest of the Marine Corps worked! and they were very quick to call everyone who wasn't them "pogue". To be honest with you, Logistics will always give you the upper hand in war or conflict. Marines always adapt and overcome but, it helps to have chow (whether it be hot or MRE) ammo, repair parts, transportation etc....
All Sr. SNCO's have a great deal of knowledge on how all aspects of every MOS is important to the mission. :flag:

CplKJSpevak
07-31-08, 09:05 AM
That being said, ( I was a pogue ) if I were to do it all over again, knowing what I do now, AND I was remotely considering an USMC career, I would suggest an infantry MOS for the first enlistment.

Chad, Same here man! and your reason was right on,:marine: But I have another reason too. I was in supply and alot of 5hitbirds tended to flock there:evilgrin: Being an NCO was like being a babysitter sometimes, One thing that impressed me with the grunts I deployed with was their no bull5hit attitude!

ttracker65
07-31-08, 09:52 AM
I agree and disagree, the MOS 1833 get's some of the same training as the 03 field but much more. You are trained in communications as well as most weapons as well. You also get to take Advanced training when Available ( JEST, EOD, Heavy Weapons) so as to getting the complete training.....50 of 1 and 50 of the other. As to deployability. The 3rd Assault Amphib Bn is one of the most deployed Bn.'s in the Marine Coprps and Holds Banners and Some citations for every conflict since Iwa Jima. As to being close Nit just ask a Tracker what YAT YAS means.
The Marine Corps has a host of good MOS's and they are all fine. GRUNT as a starter is not a bad deal but look into Trac's if you are still undecided. Oh and Comradere... Well some of my closest Brothers have been GRUNTS, Recon and Tankers. Good Luck to you and your future career.

davblay
07-31-08, 09:55 AM
Son the Marine Corps Backbone is the Grunts! Having said that, all of us that served, or is serving in support, back those guys 100%! Every MOS is important or we wouldn't have it, all are a part of the TEAM! The Grunts are more centered on thier job, and should be, they are the ones in the chit when it hits the fan!

If you've ever paid attention to our uniforms, we don't wear unit patches or occupational pins.......what the public sees is the uniform of a U.S. Marine! Most military personell can look at any Army Soldier and tell you his military story, by what he's wearing, what unit he was with in combat, how long he was in combat, the unit he's with now, what his job is, how long he's been in service, etc. etc., But a Marine Cook is wearing the same uniform as a Grunt, or a artilleryman, or tanker or whatever! Our uniform, in itself is enough to identify us as Marines.....and that's what is important isn't it!

Good luck Poolee, I hope you only the best.

Dave

JoeSzynal
07-31-08, 10:05 AM
I'm 95% positive this is BenW523 posing as a new member. The recruiter phone number is bunk as well.

ttracker65
07-31-08, 10:28 AM
I TRUELY HOPE NOT! NEXT TIME IT MIGHT BE FOREVER!

AL49BGN
07-31-08, 11:48 AM
Recruiter's phone number is bogus,it is a Heating and Air Conditioning business.

CplKJSpevak
07-31-08, 05:30 PM
If you've ever paid attention to our uniforms, we don't wear unit patches or occupational pins.......what the public sees is the uniform of a U.S. Marine! Dave

OoohRah Dave! Talk about hitting the nail right on the head:marine: