PDA

View Full Version : I've got it! You know you're a Marine if...

Achped
07-31-08, 12:30 AM
You were watching a Few Good Men and wondered why Jack Nickleson got arrested :!:

cantoine
07-31-08, 03:57 AM
Hahaha! I'm not going to comment, I just thought it was good sh*t.

CplKJSpevak
07-31-08, 08:33 AM
what about poor Santiago? I think a full bird Col. ordering a hit on a freaking Private is PATHETIC!

AL49BGN
07-31-08, 08:41 AM
:thumbup:Ooorah Achped!

2ndCEBSupply
07-31-08, 09:53 AM
True

DWG
07-31-08, 09:59 AM
In the "true story" of that incident, the doctor who mis-diagnosed "Santiago" is the one that should have gone to jail. BTW; he didn't die, he's a veg (or was last I knew).

sscjoe
07-31-08, 10:06 AM
Wow, didn't know that was based on a true story!!

Chumley
07-31-08, 11:06 AM
Achped, I'll do ya one better....

You know you're a Marine if....

you thought Demi Moore looked even hotter while wearing a Navy uniform.

outlaw3179
07-31-08, 11:24 AM
Santiago's death while tragic saved lives.

Achped
07-31-08, 11:35 AM
what about poor Santiago? I think a full bird Col. ordering a hit on a freaking Private is PATHETIC!

The colonel was doing what he needed to do to run his base, that private wrote a letter to his congressman and completely bipassed the chain of command.

Here in my unit there was a lance corporal who wrote to the commanding general of III MEF requesting to stay home from Iraq this tour because his wife had just given birth.

When his SNCOIC found out...it was interesting. :sick:

2ndCEBSupply
07-31-08, 11:54 AM
The colonel was doing what he needed to do to run his base, that private wrote a letter to his congressman and completely bipassed the chain of command.

Here in my unit there was a lance corporal who wrote to the commanding general of III MEF requesting to stay home from Iraq this tour because his wife had just given birth.

When his SNCOIC found out...it was interesting. :sick:

The Chain of Command should never be broken it holds structure...... It should only be "tampered with" in a life threating situation for example Santiago.

DWG
07-31-08, 12:10 PM
It was described to me that "Santiago" was considered a slacker by his team for constantly falling out of runs. The doctor cleared him when, in fact, he had a congenital heart defect. He was administered a blanket party (Hollywood code red) and suffered a siezure. I doubt seriously that a full bird "ordered a hit" on someone for writing his congressman. If his congressman actually answered his letter, he would probably get a "CI" in his file (congressional interest). An Army friend told me this is what their admin did. However the commanding officer is always the one ultimately responsible for the actions of his men and the chit did hit the fan down there. I would take with a large grain of salt any Hollywood version of what really happened though. Hollywood has never let the facts get in the way of a good screen play! And Jack Nicholson is always gonna take it to the limit!!!

outlaw3179
07-31-08, 12:51 PM
"Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to. "

jrhd97
07-31-08, 01:25 PM
Man, some one has watched that movie a few too many times.

outlaw3179
07-31-08, 04:49 PM
lol..

jarheadlady
07-31-08, 05:06 PM
Wait, is this based on a true story???

Achped
07-31-08, 05:11 PM
Sure is gunny! <br />
<br />
it was based upon the trials of Navy JAG attorneys Don Marcari and David Inglesias, with Marcari being played by Tom Cruise. <br />
<br />
Marcari was 28 set to defend a Marine charged with...

DWG
07-31-08, 06:27 PM
My understanding was that the Marine &quot;assaulted&quot; suffered permanent brain damage and was discharged on permanent disability. Heresay on my part, sounds like you have the facts! Like I said, the...

Dave Coup
07-31-08, 09:52 PM
Great post Achped! Ooh Rah!

CBS
08-01-08, 09:28 AM
"Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because way down deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to. "

I think I'm a MARINE, because even at the time of the movie, I was advising my friends that they probably would not care for the movie...it
is too close to the TRUTH !!

SEMPER FI..........>:evilgrin: Chuck :usmc:

tripledog
08-01-08, 07:27 PM
CBS, this is truly one case where the truth hurts . The speech that Jack gave in the movie, as quoted above, is exactly the way it really is in the real world. If I had been on the jury, I would have voted with Jack's side. Freedom is not a lunch hour in the halls of america. Good men and women have paid a handsome price for the others to enjoy this type of story and have the freedom to discuss it. Honor, for those that have it, is one thing no one can take away. A life given in defense of freedom is the highest price to be paid . When and if Americans understand that, these type of stories will become Chesty Puller material.
I do not expect all to agree, but I KNOW the ones that will, the same ones that have been placed in harms way, and ducked the enemy to tell of it.

In many cases, I wish I had the luxury of having leaders with the balls that Jack portrayed in the movie.

CBS
08-02-08, 07:43 AM
:evilgrin:

" In many cases, I wish I had the luxury of having leaders with the balls that Jack portrayed in the movie. "

I'm and old "C" Company 1/9 er from Vietnam.........if we'd had
had any serious LEADERS, then we would not hold the casuality records for the Corps, in its History; Nor the total number of
months of constant combat. In our time, the Officers served 6 & 6...6 months in the field and 6 in the rear. Must have been a career thing...you know retention !! Yea, Jack would have made one heelva Officer !!

SEMEPR FI................>Chuck :cool:

davblay
08-02-08, 08:59 AM
All I know is that when that Colonel (Jack Nicholson) came walking into that court room, It brought back many memories of some COs that I have had. Hell, he gave me chill bumps just looking at him! Even the younger 1st Lt (Keifer Southerland) was intimidating. Kevin Bacon played an excellent roll as the prosecuter, that Captain knew his stuff!

Achped, you finally came up with a good topic......and no sex envolved, with you, in it! ROTFLMAO! :marine:

Semper Fi
Dave

Achped
08-02-08, 03:05 PM
lol I try. Happy birthday to you as well!