PDA

View Full Version : Marines I need your help badly

BenW523
07-29-08, 11:22 PM
Hi Marines, well I'm Ben, a poolie in New York. I joined the DEP last year and is about to go to basic training in December. I have a few questions in mind to ask, so i really appreciate your help. My MOS is 1800s Amphibian Assault Vehicle because infantry was full last year. Now i want to change it to infantry, but my Sergeant want me to think about it again. Because there's a much higher chance that i wont return home safe. I heard infantry partys like crazy. It is where real brotherhoods are, its those who look after your back in front line and in life. I've thought about death for sometimes, it does get kind of scary, but i mean life is all about memories. I would rather live to 30 years old and have some good and excited memories than living to 100 without a proud part of my life to look back to. My mom wants me to stay in college and stay at home, because she is afraid of me getting killed. I saw how painful it was losing a family member because my grandmother past away last month. I mean what are the chances of me dying as an infantry? How is the social life of being an infantry? How is the life of an infantry. I'm currently active but might switch to reserve, so do i have a chance of going to action if I'm in the reserve. If I go reserve, I'm going 3x5 contract, its 3 years reserve and 5 years in IRR. Have anybody heard about that contract? I want to get out as soon as possible, but i want to see actions before i leave. So what are the chances I'll see actions? I know I don't get any benefits for 3 years, but I'm not in for the money or career or i would've gone army. I'm in the marines for the experience of my life,the pride, the brotherhood, the challenges, and most of all, being a Marine that i can always remember and look back to and tell myself I've done something that has changed my life and others. Thank you for all the responses, really appreciate your helps.

thewookie
07-30-08, 12:44 AM
Hi Marines, well I'm Ben, a poolie in New York. I joined the DEP last year and is about to go to basic training in December. I have a few questions in mind to ask, so i really appreciate your help. My MOS is 1800s Amphibian Assault Vehicle because infantry was full last year. Now i want to change it to infantry, but my Sergeant want me to think about it again. Because there's a much higher chance that i wont return home safe. I heard infantry partys like crazy. It is where real brotherhoods are, its those who look after your back in front line and in life. I've thought about death for sometimes, it does get kind of scary, but i mean life is all about memories. I would rather live to 30 years old and have some good and excited memories than living to 100 without a proud part of my life to look back to. My mom wants me to stay in college and stay at home, because she is afraid of me getting killed. I saw how painful it was losing a family member because my grandmother past away last month. I mean what are the chances of me dying as an infantry? How is the social life of being an infantry? How is the life of an infantry. I'm currently active but might switch to reserve, so do i have a chance of going to action if I'm in the reserve. If I go reserve, I'm going 3x5 contract, its 3 years reserve and 5 years in IRR. Have anybody heard about that contract? I want to get out as soon as possible, but i want to see actions before i leave. So what are the chances I'll see actions? I know I don't get any benefits for 3 years, but I'm not in for the money or career or i would've gone army. I'm in the marines for the experience of my life,the pride, the brotherhood, the challenges, and most of all, being a Marine that i can always remember and look back to and tell myself I've done something that has changed my life and others. Thank you for all the responses, really appreciate your helps.

Who are you?

Whatever meds you are on, you need to seek some alternatives.

I hope that helps.

Achped
07-30-08, 01:53 AM
What the hell? Listen to me, first off, Infantry doesn't party at all. Actually, I lied. They party, they party like its cool....with each other.

Ever drank for 4 years straight withn othing but guys? Sound fun? If you say yes you're only saying ti because you're a poolee.

Secondly, you want out? Before you're even in? Hey man its an oath to defend all enemies foreign and domestic for 8 years. If they need you, you go. Every Marine serving right now has a mother and a father, and most have lost grandparents. You think you're special? You think when I go to Iraq, if I die, my mother will grieve any less or have an easier time with it than your mom will because you just lost your grandmother?

And lastly, good luck seeing any action. Entire infantry batallions are coming back from deployments to Iraq without a single combat action ribbon issued, or a single casualty (from the enemy). Afghanistan is different, but as a tracker, what ocean is there near Kabul?

Marine84
07-30-08, 07:37 AM
Oh Lord - here's another one with no attention span. He wants to get out as quick as he can but......................that sounds like a good reason to join our Corps Wang.

sparkie
07-30-08, 07:57 AM
Go to Disneyland

Phantom Blooper
07-30-08, 08:40 AM
Go to Disneyland

Neverland or Dizzieland your choice! Type not like you talk so we Marines can decipher this shiat!:evilgrin:

SlaveToTheCorps
07-30-08, 10:09 AM
***I’m not a Marine, but I have plenty of friends/family that have earned that title. Most of my opinions is based off of 2nd hand knowledge, so please take it at face value***

I just read & then re-read your post...what exactly is it that you're asking?!? Are you asking if you should switch MOS’s because you think Infantry will be a party? If you are-> I think you should reconsider what branch you are joining. The Marines, last time I checked, are the elite of the elite & I don’t think any Marine has ever joined strictly on the premise of partying. I’m sure those who joined thinking it would be a party most likely didn’t hack it in boot (another one bites the dust), or just barely got by & are some of the same reasons civilians ‘hate’ the military…

Every parent is afraid of their child dying, or worse…it’s what parents are supposed to do. You asked what the chances of dying in infantry were. What are the chances of you dying walking down the street or getting hit by a drunk driver. You want to talk statistics, but what are you looking to hear? Do you want to hear that 4124 (out of 100,000+) US Troops have been killed since March 2003 in the Middle East? If it makes you feel better we can break it down further…

4129 US Troops Killed Year-To-Date
688.1 US Troops A Year
57.34 US Troops A Month
14.33 US Troops A Week
2.05 US Troops A Day
.09 US Troops An Hour
I suppose that makes the odds seem a little better on making it home ‘safe’, but the way I see it there are only 2 guarantees in life…you are born & you die! Take it as you will, but I don’t know what kind of guarantees you want if you choose to enlist.

Do you want to be a Marine because it’s the ‘cool thing to do’ or do you want to earn that title because the Marines stand for so much more?!? Do you really know why you joined the Marines & what you want to get out of it, besides ‘memories’ & bragging rights? I mean, you’re already talking about getting out of the Marines, and all you’ve done is signed a contract…what’s the deal?

Like I said, I’m not a Marine but I am curious to see where your head is at with your enlistment. So, please take this as curiosity & at face value…

(On a side note: Always make sure you capitalize the ‘m’ in Marine, they’ve earned it. Also make sure to capitalize ‘I’ when you speak about yourself, show some pride in who you are.)

ttracker65
07-30-08, 11:31 AM
GRRrrrrrr You Have the Trac option and are trying to back out of it???? are you nut's. Tracs are 365 job just take a look around who were the first casualty's in OIF??? right you would rather pack it then Trac it cool the GRUNTS might take you. They usualy get our rejects anyway. Any way luck to you and your career.

BenW523
07-30-08, 11:40 AM
First, I did not join the Marine Corps just to party or brag. I want to party because i want to live my life to the fullest and be prepared for the worst to come. I did not join the Marine Corps so i can brag. Whose stupid enough to risk their life so they have the rights to just brag? I want to get out of Marine Corp as fast as i can because my cousin he's in the finance stocks industry in wall street, he makes a lot of money and he told me it would be great to join that industry too. I've shown great interest in it, I hope i can pursue that career. However, i want to be part of Marine Corps too, so getting out as soon as possible and being in reserve will be like hitting 2 birds with 1 rock for me. But, of course if in time of national emergency when the country needs me the most i will always stand up for it and take my responsibility as a Marine. First I'm not a quitter, I've never thought about failing in boot camp because i know thats not an option to me. Well, i really appreciate your responses and help

Petz
07-30-08, 12:45 PM
Ben, I didn't read any more than the first sentence in your books you call posts... ever hear of paragraphs?

second, from reading the first sentences of your posts.. I think you have the wrong mindset to actually be successful in my Corps. What is required is a dedication that some of the other poolees here possess yet you treat it as though, and forgive me if I'm wrong, 'the cool kids joined the Marines... so if I join I'll be cool too.'

Whose stupid enough to risk their life so they have the rights to just brag? I want to get out of Marine Corp as fast as i can because my cousin he's in the finance stocks industry in wall street, he makes a lot of money and he told me it would be great to join that industry too. I've shown great interest in it, I hope i can pursue that career. However, i want to be part of Marine Corps too, so getting out as soon as possible and being in reserve will be like hitting 2 birds with 1 rock for me. But, of course if in time of national emergency when the country needs me the most i will always stand up for it and take my responsibility as a Marine.

to answer your first question here... I think you are. and secondly if you just want to put the Marine Corps down on your resume, well then it's not for you.... I may not be hitting the nail on the head, but I'm pretty sure I knocked it over and am smashing it sideways into the board.... repeatedly.

Go pursue the stock market if the Marine Corps isn't your #1 goal in life right now. When it becomes your #1 goal... you should come running back... other wise I can't use you in my Corps, you'll always have other priorities that could get others killed.

ttracker65
07-30-08, 01:00 PM
I can understand a young man wanting to serve their country and what better way than the USMC. But PLEASE Understand what these Marines and Poolees are telling you. This is more than a BoyScout Adventure. It is a total commitment of Mind, Body and Soul. You are not a Marine for you, you Are a Marine for your Country, Your Brothers and the American people. The decisions you will need to make kill people. If you screw up you are not going to lose stock points you are going to lose lives. Think through your conviction good and hard.
Just my opinion.

Dave Coup
07-30-08, 01:05 PM
All I can say is WTF over. You should go ahead and join the freakin' National Freakin' Guard or something. You don't have Marine Corps attitude and I doubt you have Marine Corps heart.:evilgrin::thumbdown

maverickmarine
07-30-08, 02:06 PM
All I can say is WTF over. You should go ahead and join the freakin' National Freakin' Guard or something. You don't have Marine Corps attitude and I doubt you have Marine Corps heart.:evilgrin::thumbdown

That is all...

Artemis
07-30-08, 02:21 PM
Wow where in the hell are all these weirdo and maybe I wannabes but I don't really know if I wannabe coming from these days? I am getting a little tired of ignorant individuals coming in here blabbering about I wanna be a Marine but......so listen here either you want to be a Marine or not. There is no such thing as I think I want to be a Marine. If you have to think about it than you are barking up the wrong tree. Go find somewhere that will baby you ass and leave us alone.

Achped
07-30-08, 02:41 PM
I think boot would weed out alot of these people, its still not like the old days from what I've been told, but if you dont want to be a Marine with everything you have...you're not making it.

He'll be like that one recruit (I dont even remember his pathetic name) who just laid in his rack and refused to train saying "Ill just go to the stock market!"

sparkie
07-30-08, 03:10 PM
This isn't the first post I've seen like this,,,,, A Seminar Poster? "Ge, Lions, Tigers, and Bears,, Oh, My".
Is code pink here, or what?
Now Here This,,,, This is a Marine Corps Site,,, All you will get from the Brotherhood is name, rank, and serial number, and an azz kickin.
We don't give up our wounded, our dead, our objective, or our resolve.
Have the onions to be a Marine,,,, Or go away.

OK, Sparkie is done now.

BenW523
07-30-08, 03:40 PM
Okay Marines I don't think i need another mindset to be a Marine. I'm physically and mentally ready. People in the Marine Reserve have a different mindsets than those in the active duty. Those who joins the Reserve wants to be part of Marine Corps and do their regular civilian life also. I've met many people who are Marines and are in the finance industry, so I don't think that hinders me to fight or protect my country and fellow Marines. But, those people are not infantry that's why i came here to ask questions. I'm committed to the contract that I sign, but would take the shorter version since the Marine Corps offers it, the reason they offers it is because Marine Corps is trying to accommodate people who are in the situation like me. Don't get me wrong everybody is different, but we all have one same goal as a Marine.

Achped
07-30-08, 03:43 PM
Alright Ben, when you get called to Active Duty, and you're told you're going to Garmsir in Afghanistan for 9 months, what are you gonna say?

dhenderson88
07-30-08, 03:51 PM
Okay Marines I don't think I need another mindset to be a Marine. I'm physically and mentally ready. People in the Marine Reserves have a different mindsets than those in the active duty. Those who joins the Reserves wants to be part of Marine Corps and do their regular civilian life also. I've met many people who are Marines and are in the finance industry, so I don't think that hinders me to fight or protect my country and fellow Marines. But, those people are not infantry that's why I came here to ask questions. I'm committed to the contract that I sign, but would take the shorter version since the Marine Corps offers it, the reason they offer it is because Marine Corps is trying to accommodate people who are in a situation like me. Don't get me wrong everybodyis different, but we all have the same goal as a Marine.

Sorry, I'm going in as a Combat Correspondent so I thought I should practice editing. I'm just wondering where you learned how to spoke. :marine:

sparkie
07-30-08, 03:53 PM
Sorry, I'm going in as a Combat Correspondent so I thought I should practice editing. I'm just wondering where you learned how to spoke. :marine:
Where you learned to spoke? ROFLMAO. That is truely one in a million,,,,,,,,

TSchultz
07-30-08, 04:05 PM
Go on a Safari hunt in Africa. You can party it up with everyone at night and then go out and shoot some animals the next day, see some sweet action! You could tell your friends about all the things you shot. You could even stay for a week or two if you are willing to commit that much time to it. The best part is that you can come home whenever you want and there is no real commitment whatsoever. Oh, and the animals won't shoot back so you and your mom can rest assured that you will stay safe. I think I fixed your problem. Except for the bonding and brotherhood stuff... maybe you could bring some friends.

You're welcome.

PhantomFixer
07-30-08, 04:44 PM
Ben,
Well, I’ll give you this bud, you have managed to stir up a sh** storm with this post, but I will try to help you out.
1. Stay with the Amphib program…here’s why, you are guaranteed a ride everywhere you go. Why run when you can walk, why walk when you can ride?
2. Marines, by nature, party like crazy…we were born in a bar for Pete’s sake.
3. Mom will get use to the fact that you are in the Marines. She may not like it, but she will get use to it.
4. Forget the machismo BS about dying as a grunt in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">Iraq</st1:country-region> or Afghanistan.<ST1:p If it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen. The MOS is immaterial.
5. The social life of an infantryman is no worse than the social life of any Marine; it’s what YOU make of it that matters.
6. The life of an infantryman is this: eat, walk, shoot, eat, walk, shoot, eat, walk, sleep. Repeat.
7. Most of the Reservists I know are on their 2<SUP>nd</SUP> if not 3<SUP>rd</SUP> tour. You wear a uniform you will see either <st1:country-region w:st="on">Iraq</st1:country-region> or <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1:pAfghanistan</ST1:p</st1:country-region>. In short, you will get shot at.

Phantom Blooper
07-30-08, 05:04 PM
Stay out of the stock market too....the market is already volatile and we don't need it messed up any more!

RESERVES AND ACTIVE ARE ALL Marines GET THAT IN YOUR MINDSET OR YOUR LOST!

When your at a stock brokers party and somebody passes the pipe....or you get wild and crazy....you are STILL A Marine! And subject to ALL the rules and regulations of such....considering you make it in the Marines.

And food for thought...turn on your favorite news channel and see how many reserve units are deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan so your unit can be activated at anytime!:evilgrin:

CplKJSpevak
07-30-08, 05:27 PM
People from New York tend to talk alot and fast. That's why the boy post's like someone is going to take the mic. from him!

Petz
07-30-08, 06:18 PM
Okay Marines I don't think i need another mindset to be a Marine. I'm physically and mentally ready. People in the Marine Reserve have a different mindsets than those in the active duty. Those who joins the Reserve wants to be part of Marine Corps and do their regular civilian life also. I've met many people who are Marines and are in the finance industry, so I don't think that hinders me to fight or protect my country and fellow Marines. But, those people are not infantry that's why i came here to ask questions. I'm committed to the contract that I sign, but would take the shorter version since the Marine Corps offers it, the reason they offers it is because Marine Corps is trying to accommodate people who are in the situation like me. Don't get me wrong everybody is different, but we all have one same goal as a Marine.

there is no such thing as joining the 4th div infantry... those billets are reserved for former infantry and/or people who can really hack it.... there is no such thing as a shorter version... and FYI I am in the reserves right now, for the majority of reservists out there I would say they joined the reserves and not active duty for family or friends and possibly a long held job they have, not because they wanted to start a new career and being able to put Marine on your resume. If you've already made your mind up why are you here? why are you spouting off this pointless and arguably weak-minded crap?

Petz
07-30-08, 06:21 PM
Go on a Safari hunt in Africa. You can party it up with everyone at night and then go out and shoot some animals the next day, see some sweet action! You could tell your friends about all the things you shot. You could even stay for a week or two if you are willing to commit that much time to it. The best part is that you can come home whenever you want and there is no real commitment whatsoever. Oh, and the animals won't shoot back so you and your mom can rest assured that you will stay safe. I think I fixed your problem. Except for the bonding and brotherhood stuff... maybe you could bring some friends.

You're welcome.

are you a Marine yet? 'cause that was truely a Marine thing to say!!! hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a *gasp* hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ttracker65
07-30-08, 08:40 PM
Awww i have been trying realy hard to keep my trap shut but.........Join the Trac Reserves and get shot at by Americans. If you think i am joking the 4th Assault Amphib Bn is stationed in Katrina land for a reason. They built their base there after Katrina cause they already know they will be doing it all over again, As for 3rd Assault Amphib Bn they are already in Iraq doing road security and 2nd Assault Amphib Bn just got extended with 24 MEU and the Provisional Rifle Company for the 3rd time. Oh My! that leaves 1st CAB and they are spread all over East Asia and Korea. Sorry Buddy no where to hide there. Well there is always Wal Mart they do not care who they hire!

ecfree
07-30-08, 08:55 PM
Hey Ben,there's always "WALLY WORLD"..........:banana:

Haffner
07-30-08, 09:15 PM
****in' Tracs is a wonderful MOS to have. Wish I were a true tracker. From 3rd Trax, all the Marines just attach to infantry battalions and deploy as provisional infantry (in response to Achped's post). One of the most deployed Bn's in the Corps, to boot.

But what in the shiat is this, "Infantry is where the REAL brotherhood is at?" and "I want to party alot because that's living my life to the fullest."

Yeah, I party alot, so does everyone else in the Corps. However, if that to you is an enlistment "incentive" and a priority...you're pretty ****ed. Your priorities and what you hold dear are severely out of sorts and I don't want the likes of you in my Corps.

Wanting to join to get out as fast as possible...you're ALREADY a ****bird and you havn't even gotten to T1 in bootcamp. Yes, that's right, bootcamp, NOT ****ING BASIC TRAINING. Asshat.

ttracker65
07-30-08, 09:26 PM
And Cpl Haffner you are a True Tracker in my Books Thank You for your Service to Our Country my Marine Corps and particularly to my Beloved 3rd Assault Amphib Bn.

AndyBowman
07-31-08, 05:12 PM
Okay Marines I don't think i need another mindset to be a Marine. I'm physically and mentally ready.

Well, You obviously haven't been on this site for very long because every single Marine here will tell you, you can never be mentally ready.

JRHD72
07-31-08, 06:16 PM
Join the navy an hang it outta porthole. You can party n have friends up the arse!

BenW523
07-31-08, 10:13 PM
Well sorry marines, I came here for answers not to be make fun of. I want answers not your judgments about my characters, but you guys did somewhat changed how I think. I'm serious about this stuff. I will join the Marines whether you like it or not. Nobody's can stop me from doing it. I made up my mind that I will go infantry because that's the Marine that has always been in my memory since childhood. I realize that you'll have to sacrifice for something you really want,, and I'm willing to do it. I know what the consequences are, and will be fully committed to being a Marine. It will be my first priority at all time. Maybe some of you think I'm a joke, a poser or some kid just trying to be cool by joining the Marine Corps. Well i joined because I know the Marine Corps will make me a person that I've always dreamed about.But, I don't want to dream no more, I want to make it a reality. It may not be the way I think it is, but soon i will find out. I know I will not regret about my decision. I will keep trying until i become The Few, The Proud, The Marines. Well thanks for those who have replied and gave me a great answer. Well, thank you all.

yellowwing
07-31-08, 10:16 PM
A thick skin is part of what will get you through Boot Camp. If few words from the Internet sets you off, think about developing a tough hide. You'll need it once you set on those Yellow Footprints.

TSchultz
07-31-08, 11:08 PM
Well sorry marines, I came here for answers not to be make fun of. I want answers not your judgments about my characters, but you guys did somewhat changed how I think. I'm serious about this stuff. I will join the Marines whether you like it or not. Nobody's can stop me from doing it. I made up my mind that I will go infantry because that's the Marine that has always been in my memory since childhood. I realize that you'll have to sacrifice for something you really want,, and I'm willing to do it. I know what the consequences are, and will be fully committed to being a Marine. It will be my first priority at all time. Maybe some of you think I'm a joke, a poser or some kid just trying to be cool by joining the Marine Corps. Well i joined because I know the Marine Corps will make me a person that I've always dreamed about.But, I don't want to dream no more, I want to make it a reality. It may not be the way I think it is, but soon i will find out. I know I will not regret about my decision. I will keep trying until i become The Few, The Proud, The Marines. Well thanks for those who have replied and gave me a great answer. Well, thank you all.

I normally wouldn't be the person to get critical on grammatical issues but that post just got way out of hand. Take the time to read your posts over and show a little pride in the way that you communicate.

dhenderson88
07-31-08, 11:50 PM
I normally wouldn't be the person to get critical on grammatical issues but that post just got way out of hand. Take the time to read your posts over and show a little pride in the way that you communicate.

Haha TSchultz you beat me to it this time. :marine:

dhenderson88
07-31-08, 11:56 PM
Well sorry Marines, I came here for answers not to be made fun of. I want answers not your judgments about my character, but you guys did somewhat change how I think. I'm serious about this stuff. I will join the Marines whether you like it or not. Nobody can stop me from doing it. I made up my mind that I will go infantry because that's the Marine that has always been in my memory since childhood. I realize that you'll have to sacrifice for something you really want, and I'm willing to do it. I know what the consequences are, and will be fully committed to being a Marine. It will be my first priority at all times. Maybe some of you think I'm a joke, a poser, or some kid just trying to be cool by joining the Marine Corps. Well i joined because I know the Marine Corps will make me a person that I've always dreamed about. But, I don't want to dream any more, I want to make it a reality. It may not be the way I think it is, but soon I will find out. I know I will not regret my decision. I will keep trying until I become one of The Few, The Proud, The Marines. Well thanks for those who have replied and gave me a great answer. Well, thank you all.

Sorry TSchultz I saw you missed a few there so I decided to go through it. Ben you were doing so great on the "I's" up until the end. A for effort...on the "I's" at least.

Petz
08-01-08, 09:24 AM
wow, how bout you two start a grammatical social group, then you can go around correcting new poolees. I'm all about that, it'll build they're character.

JRHD72
08-01-08, 06:11 PM
Hey Ben. I be pickin on your arse for sure. But if you made up your mind to join us then good luck. You answered us back and stood up for your decision. Now I hope you have the cajons to make it through boot camp.

SGT7477
08-01-08, 07:58 PM
Go army we have been fixin their mistakes since 1775.

BenW523
08-04-08, 01:04 AM
Okay guys, thanks for correcting my grammatical mistakes. I'll work harder on it, hopefully I wont need you guys to correct me anymore. I wont join any other armed forces except the Marines period. You guys may not like me right now, but I'll earn your respects soon. Hopefully I'll graduate Boot Camp, and Mos school. Then, I will go to Iraq or Afghanistan like most of you. If I make it back here safely, I'll start to ask for the respects that I deserve. So, live long enough to hear my request. Good Luck guys, thank you for all your sense of humor and helps.

dhenderson88
08-04-08, 01:32 AM
Okay guys, thanks for correcting my grammatical mistakes. I'll work harder on it, hopefully I wont need you guys to correct me anymore. I wont join any other armed forces except the Marines period. You guys may not like me right now, but I'll earn your respects soon. Hopefully I'll graduate Boot Camp, and Mos school. Then, I will go to Iraq or Afghanistan like most of you. If I make it back here safely, I'll start to ask for the respects that I deserve. So, live long enough to hear my request. Good Luck guys, thank you for all your sense of humor and help.

The only thing I took off was the "s" on "helps." I figure the rest of it is written well enough to read through without any trouble. Well done. :thumbup: