PDA

View Full Version : Chesty's Quotes,,,,

sparkie
07-29-08, 04:00 PM
Yea,, I'm reading a book.

"The Marine Corps ought not to permit marriage. A monastic order, all the way. Married men make poor soldiers. If the government wanted to to have a wife, they'd issue you one."

"One more thing. Wherever we are at chow time, the privates will be fed first. Then the concoms, and the officers last of all."

"What's going on, old man?" Puller asked. "This Marine, sir. He neglected to salute me as we passed, and I've ordered him to salute one hundred times." "Your right, Lieutenant. So right. But you know that an officer must return every salute he receives, now let me see you get to it, and do your share."

More to follow,,,,,,,,
As a Marine, I am used to saying goodnight to Chesty, but I have wondered over his story and career. Facinating,,,, I highly recommend it.

:iwo:

Ed Palmer
07-29-08, 04:19 PM
You can read? Whats the world coming to ?

Zulu 36
07-29-08, 04:24 PM
You can read? Whats the world coming to ?

It's the version with BIG pictures. :D

sparkie
07-29-08, 04:27 PM
Yes, I can read,,,,, Even as much as to enjoy Quo Vadis, Five years Before the Mast, and Captain from Castille. Ed,,, You don't know me. I don't read, I absorb,,,Books are far above movies. Movies and TV are a cheap, and a lacking imitation.

And Zulu,,,,,,,,, I am amiss, what can I say?

Zulu 36
07-29-08, 04:44 PM
Yes, I can read,,,,, Even as much as to enjoy Quo Vadis, Five years Before the Mast, and Captain from Castille. Ed,,, You don't know me. I don't read, I absorb,,,Books are far above movies. Movies and TV are a cheap, and a lacking imitation.

And Zulu,,,,,,,,, I am amiss, what can I say?

And all of those books are good reads too. With or without pictures. :thumbup:

sparkie
07-29-08, 04:53 PM
Only time I look at pictures,I better see skin,,,, Just like Ed,,,,,,,,

But this post was intended towards Chesty. The real Marine's Marine.

Zulu 36
07-29-08, 05:19 PM
Only time I look at pictures,I better see skin,,,, Just like Ed,,,,,,,,

But this post was intended towards Chesty. The real Marine's Marine.

OK, back to Chesty.

I've read several biographies about Chesty. Quite the character. I never met him, but I knew a few who had, including a corpsman who help treat him while he was hospitalized shortly before he died. The doc said that Chesty was unfailingly polite and totally cooperative with the enlisted corpsmen, but gave the commissioned nurses and doctors unholy hell anytime they tried to do things with him. Usually, they'd have to get a corpsman to do whatever needed doing.

Sounds like the Chesty I read about.

sparkie
07-29-08, 05:26 PM
I have heard one of his last wishes was to again see every Marine he ever met,,,,, One more time. OOHRA. I wish I could have known him. I can't hardly believe some of his friends,,,, Omar Bradly, Pappy Boyngton, Nimitz, Hell,,,, His cousin was George Patton. What a life,,,,,,,,

sparkie
07-29-08, 05:48 PM
"I wish now I had killed him" { A Japanese Officer.]" "It would have started the war,perhaps, but we'd have lost only one regiment, instead of all those men and ships at Pearl Harbor." ,,,,,,,,during his duty station in Peking.

jarheadlady
07-29-08, 06:02 PM
Another good read is his sons biography, Fortunate Son.

jetdoc
07-29-08, 06:49 PM
Yea JHL, that is a sad story.

jetdoc
07-29-08, 06:52 PM
http://www.military-quotes.com/images/chesty.jpg

Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller Quotes

"Paper-work will ruin any military force"
- Lieutenant-General Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
- Lieutenant-General Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

When an Army captain asked him for the direction of the line of retreat,
Col Puller called his Tank Commander, gave them the Army position, and ordered:
"If they start to pull back from that line, even one foot, I want you to open fire on them."
Turning to the captain, he replied "Does that answer your question?
We're here to fight." At Koto-ri in Korea
- Chesty Puller at Koto-ri in Korea

(From "Marine: The Life of Chesty Puller" by Burke Davis)
"The mail service has been excellent out here, and in my opinion this is all that the

Air Force has accomplished during the war."
- Chesty Puller in a letter to his wife while in Korea

sparkie
07-29-08, 06:58 PM
Good quotes, Doc. I've seen em.

sparkie
07-29-08, 07:18 PM
" During my 27 years of foreign duty, I saw all too many of our foriegn Diplomats who's only qualification was private wealth".

jrhd97
07-29-08, 07:25 PM
... I don't read, I absorb,,,Books are far above movies. Movies and TV are a cheap, and a lacking imitation. .....
You are so very right :thumbup:. I get much more out of a book.

As to Chesty, it is a shame they tried to get rid of him so often.

sparkie
07-30-08, 06:22 PM
"Gentlemen, My name is Puller, your new commander. We have a good deal of work to do together, I'll be slow to make changes, but one of them begins tomorrow morning. At the first rest period after we leave camp, camoflague every man and piece of equipment".