PDA

View Full Version : Pictures: In the heat of battle - amazing photos from the frontline

thedrifter
07-29-08, 07:03 AM
Pictures: In the heat of battle - amazing photos from the frontline

Exclusive by Chris Hughes Security Correspondent 28/07/2008

Dramatic photos of our Marines in action in Afghanistan

These are the amazing photographs that show our heroic Marines in the thick of battle in Afghanistan.

In pictures: In the heat of battle
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/07/28/pictures-in-the-heat-of-battle-amazing-photos-from-the-frontline-115875-20674287/

One snap dramatically captures the moment a Marine fires off a mortar amid a flurry of flying shrapnel and rocks.

In another, a Chinook helicopter whips up a giant dust cloud as it hovers above a base during a supply drop.

But a third shows how our boys are striving to win hearts and minds as a commando offers an ailing old man some water.

The shots - going on exhibition this week - were taken by award-winning Royal Navy photographer Sean Clee. He was in a three-man camera unit from 3 Commando Brigade that spent seven months in Afghanistan.

And the Mirror was privileged to spend two weeks with him, Sgt Baz Shaw and Sgt Steve Hignett.

Petty Officer Sean, 40, who on the tour suffered a shrapnel shoulder wound, said: "It was terrifying at times but it was also the pinnacle of my career as a photographer.

"Many times I thought our number was going to be up from a suicide bomb or a bullet but the three of us made it nevertheless. I was armed and there were loads of times I could have shot back.

"But I had Baz with me as protection so he would shoot back and I would let loose with my camera, recording the event."

Sean has served in the Navy for 17 years and his skill behind the lens has seen him twice named Navy Photographer of the Year.

Among the striking photos, taken last year, are one in which the blast of a mortar round lights up the night sky as a British unit attacks Taliban positions.

Other photos show commandos about to storm a Taliban hideout and a Marine shrouded in dust as he looses off shots from a shoulderheld anti-armour weapon.

Sean, who lives with partner Helen, 40, in Stoke, added: "I saw some terrible things over there and some moving things. I've never discussed with Helen what happened. She knows there are certain things you don't talk about.

"But I'm glad I did it. The experience taught me a lot and I'm proud of the photos."

On August 2 his pictures and artists' paintings of them go on show at Plymouth's Masa Fine Art Gallery for two weeks. Proceeds go to a forces charity.

Ellie