PDA

View Full Version : Poolie is confuse and unsure please help!

BenW523
07-29-08, 03:38 AM
Hi marines, well i'm Ben a poolie in new york, I join the dep last year about to get deploy in december. Just have a few questions in mind to ask, so i really appreciate your help. My mos is amphibian because infantry was full last year and now i want to change it to infantry, but my sergeant want me to think about it again because theres a much higher chance i wont return. I heard infantrys party like crazy, and are where real brotherhoods are, those who look after your back in the frontline. I'm thought about death is does get kind of scary but i mean life is all about memories, i would rather live to 30 and have good and excited memories than living to 100 without a proud part of my life to look back to. My mom wants me to stay in college and stay at home and is afraid of me getting killed. I mean what are the chances of me dying as an infantry? and how is the social life of being an infantry? and how is the life of an infantry. I'm currently active but might switch to reserve and do i have a chance of going to action if i'm the reserve. If i go reserve i'm going 3x5 3 years reserve anybody heard about that contract and i'm out so do i get to see actions?, i know i dont get any benefits for 3 years, but i'm not in for the money or i would've gone army. I'm in the marines for the experience of my life,the pride, the brotherhood, the challenges, and most of all, being a marine that i can always remember and look back to tell myself i've done something that has changed my life and others. Thank you for all the responses, really appreciate your helps.

gobuffs10
07-29-08, 03:51 AM
Several questions come to mind, but the first is...why are you joining the military if you're looking to 'party like crazy?'

Second, I thought all the same things you did concerning death, I still do, but I have not changed my mind. Death can happen every day you wake up. I'd rather die doing something great than get old knowing I could have, or should have served. You really just have to examine yourself, just think, if you believe in what you are doing enough to die for it.

I too have wanted statistics on dying, getting deployed, all that. And you know what? Knowing the chances doesn't give you better odds of living. People go to war, some don't come home; it's an inherent danger with the job, just like being a policeman or firefighter. Some kids go out for a drive and don't come home. **** happens, man, you can't choose when or how you're going to go, so why bother worrying? I don't care who you are, when it's your time to go back to where you came from, you're going.

A few of the Marines on this site have helped me with these questions. Some said avoid conflict, some said it's up to me, look at myself, can I do this, can I kill, can I go to war and not come back? Well, having never been in a combat situation, I don't know if I can or not. I know I'm going to try and find out. I know I'm a strong young man with a good head on my shoulders, and 85% of me says I'll be alright, and the other 15% is unsure.

That said, we are at war, and if you don't want to get deployed, the military probably isn't your best choice of future. I'll let the Marines and other poolees take it from here, but I will say check your grammar before hitting that post button; some parts of that are nearly unreadable.

BenW523
07-29-08, 04:02 AM
First of all i want to join the marines infantry because i want to see actions and get deploy. I'm afraid the 3x5 reserve wont let me see any actions, but i want to pursue my college degree and get out of the corp as soon as possible after seeing actions, i'm not in for a career, but the experience, pride, and contribution to the country i love. I know death is inevitable, but death do come by the decisions u make in your life. But we all know war is not a game, but something serious and horrible. But, wars are also something u can learn from and experience in your life.

amarine0311
07-29-08, 08:18 AM
i got a headache reading this! Ouch....

davblay
07-29-08, 08:28 AM
First of all i want to join the marines infantry because i want to see actions and get deploy. I'm afraid the 3x5 reserve wont let me see any actions, but i want to pursue my college degree and get out of the corp as soon as possible after seeing actions, i'm not in for a career, but the experience, pride, and contribution to the country i love. I know death is inevitable, but death do come by the decisions u make in your life. But we all know war is not a game, but something serious and horrible. But, wars are also something u can learn from and experience in your life.

I would suggest that no one else reply to this poster until he learns the rules of the site and learns how to spell and capitalize words! THIS IS FROM A PERSON GOING TO, OR WANTING TO GO TO, COLLEGE!

Anyone that does reply to this poster is feeding the pool for more to come here and ignore the rules and start posting!

FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!

benw2200
07-29-08, 09:13 AM
I laughed when I read that his MOS was amphibian, didn't know the Marines had a MOS that made you a frog :D