PDA

View Full Version : Skilled hands construct woodshop at Camp Ripper

thedrifter
07-28-08, 09:10 AM
Skilled hands construct woodshop at Camp Ripper

7/26/2008 By Cpl. Shawn Coolman , Regimental Combat Team 5
CAMP RIPPER, Iraq —

A craftsman’s touch on a hand-crafted art piece is a talent that can often take years to perfect, much like the years it takes a carpenter to perfect his trade.

Sgt. Tiesun T. Hochlan began learning a variety of skills, including carpentry, at a young age while he grew up on a dairy farm in Millike, Colo. Hochlan, 35, is Regimental Combat Team 5’s regimental carpenter, and he is responsible for special projects aboard the camp.

Hochlan takes pride in his work as he produces an assortment of things that are used to improve the facilities here, including work desks, tables and the restoration of a foot bridge.

Hochlan’s current project, a woodshop which he has been building by himself during the unrelenting summer heat here, will provide him and other service members of RCT-5 with a work space to build wood items that are needed throughout the regiment. Hochlan expects the workshop to be complete in a few weeks.

“This woodshop is going to be the regimental woodshop,” said Hochlan. This is a place where anyone can come down and build whatever they need. This will give the (people) here the chance to get out and build things for themselves.”

During the course of his everyday duties, Hochlan also invites service members that want to build something, but don’t posses the necessary skills to do so, to see him so he can supervise and advise them on how to construct what they need.

Cpl. Bonnie J. Burgos, 23, company clerk, Headquarters Company, RCT-5, is one such Marine that Hochlan supervised when she needed to build a Morale, Welfare and Recreation read board.

“I supervised Cpl. Burgos as she built the MWR read board because she had never built anything in her life,” said Hochlan. “It turned out really good.”

“He walked me through the steps of how to build the board I needed,” said Burgos, who is from Chicago. “He really helped me, and if I had to do another project, I have a better foundation to complete it on my own.”

As Hochlan carries on with the regiment’s special project requests, he attentively focuses on detail and continues building the woodshop for the service members of RCT-5.

“I have a lot of pride in what I do,” Hochlan added. “If anyone in RCT-5 needs to build something, they will now have a place to do it.”

Ellie