PDA

View Full Version : Poolee to Poolee suggestions

srinaldo86
07-27-08, 06:51 PM
I am not a Marine, and will not be until I complete my privileged time in Paris Island. However I would like to start this thread for the sharing of ideas as far as mental and physical preparation for boot camp.
I'll start out with my two cents. (Please don't argue my opinion.)

Physical Preparation:
Swimming is THE absolute best conditioning you can do for ANY physical activity. It will increase your endurance, lung capacity, lengthen/strengthen your muscles, and will put less of a strain on your joints/cartilage. Not to mention it will help you when Swim Qualification comes up. Not to mention water increases pressure and resistance on your entire body compared to air and it will assist in making you more lean. Its also just a hell of a lot more fun and enjoyable than running (for most people.)
Running is obviously a close second with swimming, and it will condition your body for the motions you will be going through every single day. Unlike swimming this will tear and build your muscles more than lengthen and lean your muscles. If you don't run often, don't sprint; strive for endurance and distance. AND ALWAYS TIME YOURSELF. Whether you time yourself to see how long it takes you to go a certain distance or just to see how much time you run for, do it. Always. And the more often you run, strive for improvement.
Pullups another obviously demanding and required workout. A lot of people have issues with not knowing where to do them, after all how many people have a pull up bar in their home? Not many so be creative in finding something to use whether it be a tree branch with a towel on it or monkey bars at a local elementary school. Do them and become proficient at doing them properly.
Sit ups & Push ups Do them, and do them often. Do them when you wake up, do them before you go to bed. Do them every chance you get, and for goodness sakes do them properly. Oh and by the way... Do some more.
The Breakdown A lot of Boot Camp from what I understand is core strengthening, and by that I mean everything above your waist and below your neck. So any workout you can think of that strengthens your back, your stomach and your arms is pretty much fair game, UNLESS it involves weight lifting. Don't you dare touch a weight set because you damn sure will not find one at boot camp. The only thing you should be lifting is your fellow recruit when they struggle.

Mental Preparation:
The DIs: Make sure that you understand when you go into boot camp the drill instructors are there to help you, in a way they work for you. They are your personal trainers at the gym in a sense. Except they aren't just going to get you into physical shape, they are going to make you into Super Humans... Also known as Marines. When they tell you to do something you do it quickly with a (metaphorical) smile on your face and an Aye Aye Sir on your lips. When they ask you a question you answer honestly, quickly, and with conviction in your yell.
Fellow Recruits: Observe them, listen to them, learn from them, and respect them. If you arnt a leader going into boot camp, dont try to be one just for a promotion because you'll probably come off as an arrogant ****head, and it will probably be a well grounded judgment. But no matter what the drill instructors say, help them when they need it. You succeed as a team, and you fail as a team.
Respect what you're earning: Don't cheapen the tittle by pretending you are what you aren't. Semper Fidelis, Oorah, Once a Marine always a Marine, are all examples things you are NOT allowed to say. You don't even know the meaning of those words/phrases yet. Don't go handing your parents those "Proud Parent of A US Marine" bumper-stickers your recruiter gave you either. You aren't **** yet, and neither am I.
The order of things:
Marines
Everyone else
Whale ****
Lowest part of the ocean
You.
Thats what you REALLY need to know going into boot camp. To hell with the rest, know your roll.

This Poolee hopes that he is accurate in his opinion of bearing the privilege of becoming a United States Marine.

Thank you,
July 27th, 2008 - Poolee Steven Ross Rinaldo.
Oct. 6th, 2008 - Recruit Steven Ross Rinaldo.

Draco771
07-27-08, 11:01 PM
My apologies, youtube doesn't work on here...

srinaldo86
07-28-08, 04:21 PM
What about youtube?