PDA

View Full Version : When were you able to do your first pull up?

iamcalledtom
07-27-08, 03:11 PM
I've been working out for a few weeks in order to do a pull up, which I'd really like to do before I talk to a recruiter. The one thing this forum has shown me is that I'm not alone in being unable to do a pull up, but I'm still quite embarrassed about it.

Right now, I can get just over half way up, but I've been stuck at that point for a while. In order to be able to do a pull up, I've been doing curls, pull downs, push ups, and flexed arm hangs. My question is to those of you who were in the spot I'm in: when you pulled off your first pull up, how my reps of some of those exercises were you able to do (approximately)?

I'm hoping that any replies will give me some indication of how far away I am.

jimrod83
07-27-08, 03:50 PM
I'm nowhere near being able to do a pull-up(especially with my shoulder in it's current condition), but from everything I know about fitness and have seen, it's easier to do them overhand instead of underhand, and something else you can try adding to your workout to prep for pullups is dips.

That's all I had to say.(I could get halfway myself before the shoulder injury, granted I haven't gotten into gear in the last year and still weigh up around 320lbs.)

Nate catlett
07-27-08, 03:50 PM
I couldn't do pull-ups wortha s*** when I first got in, but now that I have been in the DEP for 6 months I can do 6 without stopping. I think the thing that helped me the most were pull downs, but I would put my hands like a pull-up bar. Then I would try to do as many pull-ups as I could everyday then try to get someone to help you do more. Depending on where you are at with your pull-up situation it looks like you need to do the hang and pull downs, and then rep out some pull-ups. When you get done with pull-ups have someone help you do 5 or so and I promise you you do those 3 things and your pull-up number will come up. The secret is practice pull-ups are one thing that dont come with just time its practice.

ZSKI
07-27-08, 04:54 PM
lol i always been able to do them. If you can't lift your body up you have a problem gents.

bstewar09
07-27-08, 05:04 PM
I've been able to them since I was about 13, but some of my football coach said if you want to improve your pull ups, go swim some laps everyday. I never tried it, but I figure it makes sense.

SlingerDun
07-27-08, 05:12 PM
When were you able to do your first pull up? age10 middle school summer wrestling camp, rope, peg-board, pull-ups

iamcalledtom
07-27-08, 05:18 PM
lol i always been able to do them. If you can't lift your body up you have a problem gents.

Unfortunately, I know.

But what I was asking is for the people that had to work in able to do one, what kind of shape were they in when they pulled off their first pull up. For example, how many push ups could you do, and what was your arm hang time? My arm hang time is at 35 seconds--what would be the best guess of how much higher that needs to go in order to do a pull up?

jimrod83
07-27-08, 05:35 PM
I know I have serious issues, I've always been big, and never been able to do pullups. While it stops me from being able to join the Marines, at present, my size doesn't slow me down in any of the jobs I've ever done(from catching rabid animals to at present-delivering electrical supplies), if anything, it makes me work harder so that nobody can say 'look at fattie, he's lazy and doesn't like to work'.

I will be in shape, sooner rather than later, no excuses for not having done it already.

SlingerDun
07-27-08, 05:44 PM
can you all find a stout rope to climb? it's good cross training for pull-ups and you can 'cheat' using legs while tuning up arms. As i recall you'll need to climb and slide and repel rope in boot camp also...

--->Dave

ZSKI
07-27-08, 06:39 PM
The rope is more learning how to do it then strength. Repealing is just over coming fear and maintaining a calm state of mind. But one thing they had us do in boot is eather have a buddy help you do them with a stated goal of how many to do. Or Use what amounts the a huge rubber band that gives you a little umph. Somethings you can do when you go for score doing pull ups. Is drop like a rock, don't go slow down thats just doing negatives, get into a rhythm.

futuremarine129
07-27-08, 07:16 PM
A recruiter who I was talking to about pull-ups told us all to do them overhand because it works out more muscles. He said if you can do 20 overhand pull-ups, you can do a hell of a lot more chin-ups. This is good advice if you're not already on a schedule getting ready to ship out. To get my first pull-up I just did a bunch of push-ups everyday, and after a rest I would go over to the bar and lower myself down from the bar over and over again, not to mention everyday I would practice pull-ups, regardless of whether or not I could even lift myself up. Then one day, It just happened and after about 3 months of practice I got my first pull-up.

Phantom Blooper
07-27-08, 08:10 PM
When were you able to do your first pull up?

Depends on how far the reach was and how much I had to grab on to. :beer:

Now on the day I was born
The nurses all got around
And they gazed the wild wonder
At the joy they had found

The head nurse spoke up
Said, "Leave this one alone"
She could tell right away
That I was bad to the bone

Bad to the bone
Bad to the bone
Ba ba ba ba ba ba bad
Ba ba ba ba ba ba bad
Bad to the bone

Try2CatchMike
07-27-08, 08:21 PM
Do some negatives and sets of 5 assisted. If you dont know what a negative is just have someone assist you over the bar then slowly lower yourself down a slow as possible.

rktect3j
07-27-08, 08:25 PM
I'm 40 years old. My wife of about 12 years and I went on a walk and saw this pullup bar at the park about a week ago. True story here. She asked if I thought I could still do a pullup. Of course I told her. Marines have to be able to do 3 minimum. I hadn't done a pull up in about 15 years, since I got out of the Corps. Now having said what I had said and her obviously knowing that I am a Marine called my bluff and said prove it and that she wanted to see 3 real Marine pullups. I really didn't even think twice though. I just got on that bar, pulled myself up with chin above the bar,waited about 1 second, lowered myself and repeated 2 more times, dropped off the bar and said, no problem. Then I asked her to show me some of that Army stuff she is made of. Hell I don't even think they have a flex hang in the Army. She got up to the bar and pulled with all her might. Got about half way. Well for an Army administrator I suppose that was satisfactory.

Remember, it's all in your head gents. Step up to that bar, tell yourself "no problem" and get it done. Having your women around might help motivate you as well. Damm did my arms hurt after that.

Marine84
07-27-08, 08:51 PM
You've already done them, you've just gotten bigger and haven't had to do it much - how did you pull yourself up when you were learning to walk? You grabbed onto it and you pulled yourself UP!

Phantom Blooper
07-27-08, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE]
pulled yourself UP!
[/QUOTE

Mothers have handles!:beer:

:evilgrin:

coltie52
07-27-08, 10:11 PM
I've been working out for a few weeks in order to do a pull up, which I'd really like to do before I talk to a recruiter. The one thing this forum has shown me is that I'm not alone in being unable to do a pull up, but I'm still quite embarrassed about it.

Right now, I can get just over half way up, but I've been stuck at that point for a while. In order to be able to do a pull up, I've been doing curls, pull downs, push ups, and flexed arm hangs. My question is to those of you who were in the spot I'm in: when you pulled off your first pull up, how my reps of some of those exercises were you able to do (approximately)?

I'm hoping that any replies will give me some indication of how far away I am.
What I have been doing is assisted pull ups and doing them till failure, and doing about 3 sets, or you could do Pyramids like do 5 then 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 then all the way back up to 5. Also if you are bigger set guy try to get out and run and try to drop weight. I have been doing the Pyramids but I have moved them up to 10 to 10. Now I can do about 8 and when I first joined DEP which was June 27th of this year I could only do the bare minimum of 2, and I started doing the Pyramids about 4 weeks ago.

sparkie
07-27-08, 10:16 PM
So many things I could post here,,,, just ain't gonna.

NicholasITALY
07-28-08, 04:10 AM
When I was 14.. Now I can do 7 pull ups..and I'm 16.

slimmy07
07-28-08, 02:08 PM
My question to you is why do you have to be able to do one pull up before you see a recruiter? Whn I was on recruiting duty, if I had a kid who wanted to join but could not do a pull up, I would work out with him 3 times a week at 6am. I had this one kid who was 5'9 140lbs and he could not do a pull up. He was a computer freak his whole life and never really ever worked out. He DEPd and 4 months later before he shipped to boot camp he was doing 15 solid push ups. Most recruiters will help you if you got the motovation and want to join.

Rains
07-28-08, 02:15 PM
I did 20 pull-ups the very first time I ever did them, at 15 years old, I can do 25 now and I am almost 17. I think its very easy for me cause im not very big but I am very strong, 5'10 and 132 lbs.

ZSKI
07-28-08, 02:56 PM
My question is how you can properly **** a girl without the strength to pull yourself up. Alot of positions need upper body strength. Use that as motivation.

Sally
07-28-08, 03:10 PM
Unfortunately, I know.

But what I was asking is for the people that had to work in able to do one, what kind of shape were they in when they pulled off their first pull up. For example, how many push ups could you do, and what was your arm hang time? My arm hang time is at 35 seconds--what would be the best guess of how much higher that needs to go in order to do a pull up?

I can max out hang (70sec) and still not able to do a pull up.

Rains
07-28-08, 11:07 PM
My question is how you can properly **** a girl without the strength to pull yourself up. Alot of positions need upper body strength. Use that as motivation.

ROFL, You have got to be kidding me.

gobuffs10
07-29-08, 12:58 AM

Lie on my back so I don't have to work.

Back to topic, though, I have never done one in my entire life, and I still can't but I'm really close. I just got more punches on my card for the gym and finally got a set work schedule, so I have time to hit the bar every day.

It's really a ****ty feeling not being able to do a pull-up.

sshrader
07-29-08, 03:50 PM
dont feel bad gobuff, a year an a half ago i use to be able to do atleast 15, now im only able to do 2 or 3... just keep practicing before i was able to do 15 i was at where i am now, i just kept trying and doing a **** ton of push ups and arm and neck/back exercises and then i was able to bust them out. so im shooting for atleast 15 again by october.

LeDave
07-29-08, 04:00 PM
it was so long ago i don't even remember. but i remembered when i was in 7th grade i was in the best shape of my life, running a mile in 7 minutes is the best i've ever done, and being able to do 7 pullups. it may not be much but it was the best shape i've ever been in my entire life. and now i can only do 5 pullups and i can't even run a half mile yet. i'm 18 right now turning 19 in october.

sparkie
07-29-08, 06:12 PM
Playstation Strikes Again,,,,,,,,You all ain't survival material,,,,, Your just food. LOL.

jrhd97
07-29-08, 08:13 PM
I've always been able able to do at least 10, on a bad day. Heck I can still pump out 16 overhand dead hangs. I'm just a trashy truck driver.
Ditch the flex hangs, they don't work all the right muscles. Do as many assists as possible. Put your hands together, thumb tip to thumb tip, pointer finger tip to pointer. When you look down you should see a triangle. Do as many push ups as possible like that. Do a set at every commercial or every 5 - 10 minutes if on the computer or in between stages/ levels on the play station.
Change your diet. Eating junk is starving your muscles of the nutrients it needs to grow and strengthen. Start out by cutting out all soda / pop products, candy bars, potato chips, etc .... .
Start taking multi vitamins and strive for 8 hours sleep a night. Give your muscles a break, at least one day minimum every week to heal and rejuvinate.

sshrader
07-30-08, 10:22 AM
well it wasnt the playstation that got me, it was a girlfriend who loved to eat out a lot and get desert every time, and at work, i hurt my shoulder lifting up a 400lb spool of fiber optics on a cable spool w/ my shoulder so the lil guys could adjust the height. stupid me :-/ but its better now.

jimrod83
07-31-08, 03:52 PM
I did something similar recently, sshrader, except it was either with conduit or wire(don't know when I did it exactly, but know that I did something to it) Now it hurts to raise my shoulder past horizon, or to lift anything serious with that arm, plus lateral and medial rotation causes pain in my elbow. It's getting better though, it just bites a big one because I try to do pushups and collapse in pain(not good pain, but bad pain) for the effort. another week or two, and hopefully it'll be better, then I'll be back on track.(Haven't broken my diet, though, and am losing weight. dropped 15 in the last month, another 100 to go before I'm around weight)

sshrader
07-31-08, 04:01 PM
well good luck jimrod, yeah it took me about 4 months to get my shoulder healed all the way up, i really messed it up good. but now im starting to get the strenght back up hopefully ill get up to atleast 15 pull ups, but i figure if i loose some more weight ill be good to go ive lost about 8 lbs n the last 3 weeks, been running my azz off did 2 miles last night my arms r so i dead i couldnt do any pull ups so i did some arm hangs n push ups instead, i got the crunches i did 50 in a 1:06. Just keep practicing and you will get it.