thedrifter
07-25-08, 01:58 PM
Sports
In MMA cage, Stann builds ferocious rep
Ex-Navy LB rising star
By Justin Rodriguez
Times Herald-Record
July 25, 2008 6:00 AM

MONTICELLO — The bloody battle lasted for more than four days near a rickety bridge in Karabilah, Iraq.

Platoon leader Brian Stann and his men of the 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marine Division fought off grenades, suicide bomber attacks, explosive devices and rapid machine gun fire from Iraqis.

Stann and all 42 of his soldiers survived. Several Iraqis were killed in the showdown near the Euphrates River.

"Was it 100? I don't know," Stann says. "I hope it was that many. I don't know, it's tough when you are dropping bombs and stuff on them. I would think it was maybe about 50. If I said 100, I would be (fooling) you."

Stann, a starting linebacker at Navy in 2002-03, is now a rising star with World Extreme Cagefighting — owned by mixed martial arts giant Ultimate Fighting Championship.

After two tours in Iraq, don't expect Stann to give in to any opponent in the octagon.

"I've already been to war, so nothing scares me," Stann says. "I just go lock up (fight)."

Stann spent a few hours Thursday in Sullivan County, having a pasta lunch at Mr. Willy's Restaurant in Monticello before speaking with troubled youths at the Dynamite Youth Center in Fallsburg.

His entourage included Forestburgh native Loren Mack, the WEC's public relations director, who set up the trip.

Stann (4-0) won the WEC light heavyweight title in March by knocking out Doug Marshall at 1:35 of the first round. His first defense comes on Aug. 3 against Steve Cantwell — an opponent he has already put to bed in 41 seconds.

Stann was introduced to the sport through the Marines martial arts program, which focuses heavily on kick boxing and jiu jitsu. He made his debut at Sport Fight 14 in January 2006 in Portland, Ore., and knocked out Aaron Stark in the first round. Stann agreed to a contract with the WEC five months later on a satellite phone in Iraq.

"I've watched every one of Brian's fights," said Navy defensive coordinator Buddy Green. "My hats go off to him, they are all over quick. Brian's just an intense guy. He attacks the fights like he attacks everything else, and we couldn't be more prouder of him."

Stann's active duty with the Marines ended in May. He hasn't ruled out joining the reserves and is also eyeing the UFC. Stann, 27, earned a Silver Star, the nation's third highest award for valor in combat, for his actions in May 2005 in Karabilah.

"I get a lot of attention for that," Stann said. "But my guys were phenomenal. That's all I cared about — my guys. I don't think about the Silver Star or the glory for myself."

jrodriguez@th-record.com

Ellie