PDA

View Full Version : Cant pass IST before shipdate???

Theguy101
07-25-08, 10:33 AM
What happens if you cant pass the ist before your shipdate? Do they say to bad and your shot is over? Delay? Pork chop platoon asap? I ship out sep 2nd and im workin out every day covering 5-8 miles, trying to run 2 miles of them. over the past month i whent from 0 to 3 pull ups and 35 sit ups to 50 but my running is still weak at first it was my brething but that isnt the problem now its my cavs that get this anoyin pain. I was told to try and run through it or atleast walk. Questioon is am i doing to much for my poor condition and not letting my muscle rebuild or am i just a puss?

Rains
07-25-08, 10:37 AM
What happens if you cant pass the ist before your shipdate? Do they say to bad and your shot is over? Delay? Pork chop platoon asap? I ship out sep 2nd and im workin out every day covering 5-8 miles, trying to run 2 miles of them. over the past month i whent from 0 to 3 pull ups and 35 sit ups to 50 but my running is still weak at first it was my brething but that isnt the problem now its my cavs that get this anoyin pain. I was told to try and run through it or atleast walk. Questioon is am i doing to much for my poor condition and not letting my muscle rebuild or am i just a puss?

Well I know that they wont say to bad its over, but you may be delayed for a certian amount of time or go to the porkchop platoon.

And for the pain in your muscles, that is natural, grit through it, it wont last forever.

joecoul89
07-25-08, 10:43 AM
Make sure you stretch... thats one of the most important things to do when you workout. For your calfs, go up to a wall, and push the bottom of your foot into the bottom of the wall and lean forward. Its kinda hard to explain, you can probably search google for a better idea.

Rains
07-25-08, 10:55 AM
Make sure you stretch... thats one of the most important things to do when you workout. For your calfs, go up to a wall, and push the bottom of your foot into the bottom of the wall and lean forward. Its kinda hard to explain, you can probably search google for a better idea.

:thumbup:

SlaveToTheCorps
07-25-08, 10:57 AM
Look, I'm going to say you better work your butt off to be the best you can before you ship...However...they most likely aren't going to deny you entry (unless it's really off) to boot camp.

So, no it doens't guarentee a trip to PCP, but it doens't mean you won't end-up there...You need to go in with the mentality that you NEED TO BE UP TO STANDARDS...no matter what the cost. Don't be the recruit that is the 'least' prepared....

Rains
07-25-08, 11:23 AM
You need to be able to run 3 miles in 28:00 to get the minimum PFT standard, and you have the minimum pull-up and crunch standard. But strive for the best you can do before you ship.

:thumbup:

slimmy07
07-25-08, 11:33 AM
Dont worry about the PFT right now, you need to worry about the ISt and that is 1 1/2 miles.

coltie52
07-25-08, 04:01 PM
Ya I got that same problem with the Calfs but I found out that I wasn't stretching every single time. When I did that the pain went away.
Also for the run try to find a Big grass or dirt hill, and sprint up that and jog back down. Do that for an half hour or an hour or until you cant take the pain. I started doing that and my 1.5 mile time went down A lot. before doing sprints 14min 48sec, after which is like about 4 weeks my time was 11min 43sec.
I ship out to MCRD SD on the 22nd of September.

Theguy101
07-27-08, 12:41 PM
i wont lie...i never stretched for running, most likely my problem..gonna go give it a shot. Thank you very much for the helpful and quick responses.

SlaveToTheCorps
07-28-08, 07:26 AM
Actually, I was looking through all my old enlistement papers & my enlistment packet from 2004, didn't they give you guys in the DEP a little 'flip book' with how to work out to guarentee at least the minimum requirments for the IST?!?

It had pages of what exersizes to do, what the requirements are & a work-out schedule for how far out you are from your shipdate & what you should be able to do. If you don't have this book, talk to your recreuiter & they probably have an awesome work-out to get you in better shape...quick!

TJR1070
07-28-08, 09:05 AM
Great advice SlavetotheCorps

the other thing that you can do in addition to stretching before and after you run is make sure you properly warm up and cool down. You're muscles should be streched and warmed up to run with the least discomfort and you should stretch and then take time to cool down you're muscles. Both warming up and cooling down can be achieved by walking before and after you run. While running a certain distance try not to stop and walk until you have completed the distance you set out for, this will help improve your endurance.

Bolt Action
07-28-08, 09:09 AM
Learn to spell also, that always helps.

Travbabble
07-28-08, 11:55 AM
When I went to boot camp, I failed the run by 2 seconds, but I did good enough on the other events that I got a waiver to train. Trust me though, you do not want to go to PCP. I would be running my legs off if I where you.