PDA

View Full Version : ICM and ACM

Petz
07-25-08, 10:13 AM
I don't know if anyone has posted this or not but there are devices for the topic described campaign medals. <br />
<br />
they are awarded with one bronze star and depending on at what times you were in...

zx6rdr
07-25-08, 10:23 AM
Forgive me for my ignorance SSgt, but I have a question regarding the above post;

I was in Iraq Nov 04 through May 05 (Fallujah if that matters), I was never awarded the Iraq campaign medal, do I rate one? And if so, does that mean I rate 2 bronze stars on it? Also do you know how I could go about getting these added to my SRB.

Thanks!!

Petz
07-25-08, 10:39 AM
if you accepted the GWOTE then they won't give you the ICM... you have to goto group manpower or where ever they're controling the SRBs now... and tell them you want the ICM istead of the GWOTEM

and yes you rate two bronze stars on your medal.

zx6rdr
07-25-08, 10:47 AM
Thank you SSgt! I did receive the GWOTEM, I was just asking to see if I rated any additional award. Now that I am no longer on AD I will just leave it as it stands, it would be a whole boat load of work to get it changed over.

Thank you again!

Petz
07-25-08, 10:56 AM
you in the reserves? SMCR or IRR?

zx6rdr
07-25-08, 10:58 AM
No SSgt, I am completelt out now.

Petz
07-25-08, 11:02 AM
...yeah, that'll suck.

but listen, you should change it because you won't get certain benifits that will be awarded to ICM holders and what not.... you should work on getting that changed.

did you get medsep'd or something?

zx6rdr
07-25-08, 11:10 AM
Really? I didnt know that there were any special benfits given for ICM holders.

No, actually I EAS'd in July of 03 and was on the IRR. I got activated through MOBCOM in 04 in support of OIF-2-2. Once my mobilization was complete I got out once again.

Petz
07-25-08, 11:12 AM
ah, july 07 was it for you then.

well as of right now there are no specific benefits but they are already talking about it down the road... so you should call MOBCOM and find out what's up.

https://mobcom.mfr.usmc.mil/Scripts/csc.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_alp.php

check this out, let me know if it's of any help.

zx6rdr
07-25-08, 11:21 AM
Thank you very much SSgt!!!! I will do some research and check it out, Thanks again for all of your help!

Petz
07-25-08, 11:22 AM
no problem... too bad you didn't stay in the IRR... I got a free trip to hawaii out of it.

zx6rdr
07-25-08, 11:24 AM
I didnt know that you could opt to stay in the IRR, I will have to check out that option too...

Petz
07-25-08, 11:31 AM
you may have to sign a contract into the SMCR but you should be able to do that then drop to the IRR after about a year with good reason.... then after that you can keep re-enlisting if you have the proper rank.... also you should check MOL incase you've been promoted.

justinrod09
10-09-08, 08:36 PM
Ok back to this question again SSGT. Because I want to just clarify.

I did both of my tours in Fallujah, 1 with IMHG & 1 with CLB8/TS Co.
Here are my tour dates.

2004 Feb 26 2004 Sep 29 IRAQI FREEDOM IRAQ

2005 Sep 09 2006 Mar 17 OIF IV W/IIMEF IRAQ

Now I was awarded my GWOTEM before the ICM came out. And now I also rate the ICM, from what the MARADMIN states. Do I rate 3 stars because I kept my GWOTEM??

0231Marine
10-10-08, 07:06 AM
Ok back to this question again SSGT. Because I want to just clarify.

I did both of my tours in Fallujah, 1 with IMHG & 1 with CLB8/TS Co.
Here are my tour dates.

2004 Feb 26 2004 Sep 29 IRAQI FREEDOM IRAQ

2005 Sep 09 2006 Mar 17 OIF IV W/IIMEF IRAQ

Now I was awarded my GWOTEM before the ICM came out. And now I also rate the ICM, from what the MARADMIN states. Do I rate 3 stars because I kept my GWOTEM??

Negative, you rate two stars because you choose to wear the GWOT-E. Same reason I only rate 3 stars instead of 4...because I also wear the GWOT-E. If I dropped it, I would then have 4 stars on my Campaign Medal.

justinrod09
10-10-08, 10:35 AM
Ok thanks... Juss needed to clear that up. Appreciate it.

Petz
10-10-08, 11:31 PM
yeah what 0231 said... I was a bit ass backwards on the wording.... I should have read farther down.... if you keep the Gwotem, you surrender one star... or rather one deployment, meaning if that deployment covered two time periods and the second only one, then you get the gwotem for the first deployment, and the ISM with one star for the second.

I'm kindda dumb sometimes.

justinrod09
10-11-08, 01:33 PM
Cool appreciate it SSGT... Had to update my medals for the ball this year...
I think I lowkey rate a JMUA for Liberty Express I & II, might be getting the name messed up, but it was a joint with the ARMY & Seebees during the elections, 05/06. Guess I gotta go look it up or talk to some Marines I went out there with.

Petz
10-12-08, 12:30 AM
JMUC... but fat chance you'll get that... the OTHER unit that you fell under has to submit for it... and the MC will probably shoot it down.

justinrod09
10-12-08, 12:58 AM
Sounds Bout Right... Its All Good... Not Getting Any Extra Pay 4 It... Lol...
Liberty Express Was Fun As Hell Tho...

ArtyOps
07-07-09, 06:05 AM
Alright, talk to me Marines, I know this is a dead thread but I would rather bring it back to life than post a new one.

I deployed OIF from 19 March 2003 to I believe 1 June 2003 with 11th Marine Regiment from Kuwait to Bagdad, on (I believe) 1 June 2003 we got on a ship and headed back to the states via 2 ports in Australia and 1 in Hawaii, returning to Camp Pendleton on 27 July 2003.

I then deployed to Iraq again from 17 March to 14 October 2007.

I kept the GWOT Expeditionary, Do I rate a Iraq Campaign Medal with a Bronze Star? You see my awards in my sig line, can anyone tell if I have this right? I ask for two reasons, 1. I know my wife is secretly putting together a shadowbox for me and 2, I want to make sure everything is accurate if I should choose to go back in.

This is what MOL says for my "Operation History Information"

From DtTo DtOperationLocationOpTypeOpMCCOpRUC2003 Jan 272003 Mar 18ENDURING FREEDOMKUWAITCombat121113032003 Mar 192003 Jul 21IRAQI FREEDOMIRAQCombat121113032007 Mar 172007 Oct 26OIF6-8IRAQCombat1NH11340

ArtyOps
07-07-09, 06:15 AM
To Straighten that out a little

This is what MOL says for my "Operation History Information"

From Dt To Dt Operation Location OpType OpMCCOp RUC
2003 Jan 27 2003 Mar 18 ENDURING FREEDOM KUWAIT Combat 121 11303
2003 Mar 19 2003 Jul 21 IRAQI FREEDOM IRAQ Combat 121 11303
2007 Mar 17 2007 Oct 26 OIF6-8 IRAQ Combat 1NH 11340

Petz
07-07-09, 11:18 AM
you rate three bronze stars and the GWOTEM....

the enduring freedom time in kuwait is the GWOTEM medal and the ICM is two stars for the "liberation" and "transition" of Iraq during your first deployment and the "national resolution" for your second trip... so you rate three stars

6. MARINES WHO QUALIFIED FOR THE GLOBAL WAR ON TERRORISM
EXPEDITIONARY MEDAL (GWOTEM) FOR DEPLOYMENTS TO EITHER THE
AFGHANISTAN OR IRAQ AREA OF ELIGIBILITY (AOE) PRIOR TO 1 MAY 2005
MAY STILL ELECT TO RECEIVE EITHER THE ACM OR ICM IN LIEU OF THE
GWOTEM PER ARTICLE 420.14 OF REF C. THOSE CAMPAIGN PHASES IN WHICH
THE MARINE PARTICIPATED DURING THAT DEPLOYMENT WILL BE USED TO
DETERMINE AUTHORIZED CAMPAIGN STARS FOR THE ACM OR ICM. HOWEVER, IF
A MARINE ELECTED TO RETAIN THE GWOTEM FOR A DEPLOYMENT WITHIN EITHER
AOE PRIOR TO 1 MAY 2005, THAT DEPLOYMENT PERIOD WILL NOT BE USED TO
DETERMINE CAMPAIGN STARS FOR A SUBSEQUENT ACM OR ICM AWARDED.
ADDITIONALLY, THE DESIGNATION OF CAMPAIGN PHASES FOR THE ACM OR ICM
DOES NOT MODIFY THE CURRENT POLICY THAT A MARINE IS NOT AUTHORIZED
BOTH THE GWOTEM AND ACM/ICM FOR THE SAME DEPLOYMENT PERIOD.

but do note this....

ArtyOps
07-07-09, 11:30 AM
Thank you.

Now, how do I do that? I am out of the Marine Corps and have no obligated service remaining so MOBCOM probably will not be able to do anything for me. Since I've been out I recieved another NAM and Certcom for my last deployment both of which it would appear have not been entered.

BDL
08-11-09, 08:27 PM
Just looking for some clarification on the GWOTE vs. ICM. Trying to get my medals squared away before I go to OCS.

I was deployed as Senior Line Corpsman C. Co 1/5 and arrived in Kuwait Jan 2003 and returned late May of 2003. My unit was involved in the initial push into Baghdad.

My understanding is that I’m only eligible for the GWOTE unless I decided
to give it up in place of the ICM. Is this correct? Also, are there any service device for the GWOTE?

All input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
BDL

Petz
08-11-09, 08:31 PM
if you were there only once then you have the GWOTEM since you didn't opt to have the ICM... you only rate one since you qualify for both of them for your deployment period. My last post has all the info you need.

BDL
08-11-09, 09:51 PM
Right on, just making sure. Thanks for the feedback. BTW are there any service devices for the GWOTE? I read somewhere about the EGA being authorized to wear on your ribbon..?

Thanks again,

BDL

Petz
08-11-09, 11:58 PM
WHAT?! find out what you read 'cause that's um.... insane.

you get a bronze star... it's issued with the medal...

0231Marine
08-12-09, 07:08 AM
The EGA device is for Navy Corpsmen who are attached to Marine units while deployed. If they rate the medal during that time, then they are authorized the EGA device.

Marines do not rate devices on campaign medals, only stars for subsequent deployments. The GWOT-E doesn't rate a star though because it only qualified for one deployment. They instituted the ICM in OIF II which made stars irrelevant for the GWOT-E.

From the sound of your deployment history, you only rate the GWOT-E with no device.

BDL
08-12-09, 07:42 AM
The EGA device is for Navy Corpsmen who are attached to Marine units while deployed. If they rate the medal during that time, then they are authorized the EGA device.

From the sound of your deployment history, you only rate the GWOT-E with no device.

Okay, so I do rate the EGA. That’s what I thought. I was with Charlie Company 1st Battalion 5th Marines, which I’m sure you all know is infantry out of San Mateo, CA (Camp Pendelton). I have a CAR , PUC, etc... so I’m pretty sure those Corpsman in my unit rate the EGA.

Really appreciate the timely responses and your help clearing things up.

Regards,

BDL

Petz
08-12-09, 08:12 AM
I should remember you're a Corpsman.... no more late night posting for me.

0231Marine
08-12-09, 08:14 AM
I should remember you're a Corpsman.... no more late night posting for me.

I would know because he doesn't even have a profile!!!

Petz
08-12-09, 08:15 AM
haha....he mentioned it in a previous post....

BDL
08-12-09, 09:03 AM
haha.. no worries.. Thanks again.