PDA

View Full Version : Confiscating IDs and Reserved Parking Spaces...

MarineNCO
07-24-08, 06:12 PM
Good day to all. I was wondering what the order is (if any) regarding confiscation of military ID by a fellow Marine.

Here is the situation:

I am currently in a school environment where the Command and Staff have reserved (numbered) parking spaces. A fellow Sgt was parked where he should not have been (we were all told from day one to not park in the spaces in the first and second row regardless if the space had numbers or not - some of the numbers have weathered away). I came in on the tail end of it so I am not sure what all was said between him and the - I believe it was a - MSgt. The end result was the MSgt got ****ed and told the Sgt to give up his military ID. The Sgt did so. I won't go into further details.

Some statements were made by fellow Sgts in the class about it being against MCO to "reserve" parking spaces and also against MCO to confiscate a military ID. I have looked here and there and have yet to be able to come up with anything for or against. Can anyone shed some light on these topics?

Your help is appreciated. The Sgt was in the wrong as he was told to not park there in the first place by the Platoon Advisor, the Company GySgt and if I remember correctly the Company 1st Sgt. I just want clarification for my own knowledge.

yellowwing
07-24-08, 07:15 PM
"Gimme your ID Card!", was asking for our soul. I don't know if it was 'legal' but it sure lent gravity to the situation.

hrscowboy
07-24-08, 08:46 PM
He would have played hell getting my ID card.. regardless what his rank was i would have said call the MPS and lets get this taken care of, Name rank and serial number is all you have to give up and thats all unless your placed under arrest..

Petz
07-25-08, 01:17 AM
Good day to all. I was wondering what the order is (if any) regarding confiscation of military ID by a fellow Marine.

Here is the situation:

I am currently in a school environment where the Command and Staff have reserved (numbered) parking spaces. A fellow Sgt was parked where he should not have been (we were all told from day one to not park in the spaces in the first and second row regardless if the space had numbers or not - some of the numbers have weathered away). I came in on the tail end of it so I am not sure what all was said between him and the - I believe it was a - MSgt. The end result was the MSgt got ****ed and told the Sgt to give up his military ID. The Sgt did so. I won't go into further details.

Some statements were made by fellow Sgts in the class about it being against MCO to "reserve" parking spaces and also against MCO to confiscate a military ID. I have looked here and there and have yet to be able to come up with anything for or against. Can anyone shed some light on these topics?

Your help is appreciated. The Sgt was in the wrong as he was told to not park there in the first place by the Platoon Advisor, the Company GySgt and if I remember correctly the Company 1st Sgt. I just want clarification for my own knowledge.

to surrender you id is to surrender your id... how can you prove you are in the military if you don't have it.

NEVER GIVE UP YOUR ID... it doesn't belong to the senior Marine it doesn't even belong to the commandant.

reserved spaces by MCO are for o-6+ usually base commanders and Sgts Maj.

I'd tell him to FO in a tactfull manor, and to pull the MCO that allows him to reserve that space.

UsmcMotorT
07-25-08, 09:10 AM
At my building we have 3 different units. We do not have Reserved Parking per se, but we have designated parking spaces for each unit.

Now, if you're in a school environment and the first two rows are designated for permanent staff, then I can see why they are reserved (or designated). I dont think it was justified to confiscate the Marine's ID but the Marine should've just went Aye MSgt and parked else where.

Petz
07-25-08, 09:27 AM
there is a good point, if you call it designated parking... well it's not reserved for a specific rank or person... just a group of individuals who don't want to walk allll the way from the back of the parking lot or search for a spot when they need to get to teaching.

Also I'd like to note that company CO's and 1stSgt rate spots by the company offices,but that gets approved by the battalion CO.

SGT VAS
07-25-08, 09:58 AM
My Battalion Sgt. Major always gave us NCOs PMEs all the time and this subject came up. He said that you have the right to confiscate any Marines ID if they are in vilolation of any satndard order regardless of rank. He said we could literally walk up to our 1st Sgt if we caught him doing something illegal and ask for his ID to give to the Battalion OOD. Now whether you have the balls to do something like that is different :)

Petz
07-25-08, 10:07 AM
the problem with that is, it's not a MCO, it's a battalion thing. you don't own that ID... now, there are situations where you can take it. <br />
<br />
we had a desserter who used his ID to get on base and...

MarineNCO
07-26-08, 06:34 AM
It is my understanding that the military ID is a controlled form and as such it is issued to you (much like a rifle card or meal card) and not to be given up since you are the one unltimately responsible for it. Think about it, if you lose your ID or Rifle Card or Meal Card what kind of paperwork are you "supposed" to do to let the command know it is lost and to get a new one issued? There is actually an official form somewhere that I had to fill out for one of my Marines and have the Co CO and the 1stSgt sign off on it before the ID card center would issue him a new ID card.

As for the deserter status thing, yeah I could see confisating an ID card that was used in an illegal manner or for something illegal or if it had been changed (someone using a black sharpie to modify something on it) to prove that is is invalid.

As for the reserved or designated parking space. To be honest I could care less but there are those that feel it is their right for whatever reason. Some of them could use the PT the extra 100 yards might give them. But to stand there and make a HUGE deal out of not being able to park in that "numbered space". Rediculous in my opinion.

MarineNCO
07-26-08, 06:41 AM
At my building we have 3 different units. We do not have Reserved Parking per se, but we have designated parking spaces for each unit.

Now, if you're in a school environment and the first two rows are designated for permanent staff, then I can see why they are reserved (or designated). I dont think it was justified to confiscate the Marine's ID but the Marine should've just went Aye MSgt and parked else where.

You are right he should have. SNM was in the wrong from beginning to end since he was speicifically told to NOT park in those spots and then he had the stupid urge to argue with a MSgt when SNM was in the wrong.

In my uneducated opinion if the MSgt had the time to take the ID card to the Co GySgt and tell him what happened then why didn't he take the time to just haul SNM in front of the Co GySgt in person? Just a thought.

Petz
07-27-08, 12:52 PM
As for the reserved or designated parking space. To be honest I could care less but there are those that feel it is their right for whatever reason. Some of them could use the PT the extra 100 yards might give them. But to stand there and make a HUGE deal out of not being able to park in that "numbered space". Rediculous in my opinion.

I agree.

crate78
07-27-08, 03:32 PM
I never heard of confiscating someone's ID card. When did that come about?

As far as reserved parking spaces, I never had a problem when I was in the Corps, but there might be a parallel between the military and an experience I had when employed as a junior executive by a large printing plant. I had my own reserved parking space among a row of other reserved spaces. Not that I held that high a position in the company, but it was recognized that in my job I was in and out of the plant frequently during the course of a day. The time wasted would have been prohibitive had I been forced to surf the employee parking lot every time I returned to the plant. And the infuriating part was when I'd find someone else parked in my reserved spot. Invariably when I'd confront someone they'd whine, "But I was only going to be a couple of minutes while I picked up my paycheck", or some other such nonsense.

Others had the same problem. So, we put notices in everyone's pay envelope that unauthorized vehicles parked in reserved parking spaces would be towed with no attempt to locate the owner. We then started doing it. The only thing that got some people's attention was when they came out of the plant and didn't have a car where they'd left it.

So, there can be reasons beyond rank (remember RHIP?) or laziness for reserved spaces. The simplest is to respect reserved spaces without bothering to question who or why.

On a lighter note, one day there was a strange car parked in our company President's reserved space in the executive parking lot in front of the plant. The president took the rotor out of the distributor and threw it in his desk drawer. Turned out the car was a rental belonging to a multi-million dollar annual customer.

Oops.

crate

Petz
07-27-08, 10:16 PM
the ID thing must have been a short stint in the mid 90's or something... 'cause I've always been told it's against the UCMJ or some other story because it's not to be surrendered to anyone but your command or the issuer.

if they are not in your command structure who's to say they are a Marine? they could try to steal the ID to counterfeit it or something.

Semper Fi.

SlingerDun
07-28-08, 05:23 PM
I never heard of confiscating someone's ID card. When did that come aboutFor real! Had an overseas libbo card confiscated once for being mehttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif but surrendering the ID card was something a nuke guard was never to allow happen. Deadly force was not authorized in defense of ID cards but you were expected to put up stiff resistance to retain it.

Left it once in the back seat of an Oakland taxi cab and had to stand on the Alameda pier waiting for another Marine from my unit to walk by so i could borrow money to track down and reclaim my wallet, he understood thoroughly. I got lucky with a straight up driver and recovered it but had i not the consequences were grim...

--->Dave

tripledog
07-29-08, 04:33 PM
I would have probally lost it in the court martial for beating the **** out of some dumb ass that tried to take it from me. Thats the only way you would ever have gotten my ID.

Old Marine
07-29-08, 04:55 PM
I was taught a very long time ago that if someone senior to you tells you to do something, doesn't matter what it is.you do it. After you do it, if you think it was wrong, then you take it to a higher authority and have it resolved. Simple as 1,2,3.

yellowwing
07-29-08, 05:31 PM
A few of us got them confiscated one night when we got out of hand. Effectively it prevented us from going out and spreading trouble and from buying more booze. The next morning we sheepishly went to the SDNCO and got them back.

Petz
07-30-08, 11:57 AM
if they take your ID how do you really know they will turn it in to the proper higher authority or even turn it in period... I've been told to NEVER hand it over to anyone but your command.