PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Sniper?

Sylntsnipa
05-13-03, 11:13 AM
Hey guys. I'm the DEP right now and I REALLY want to be a sniper. I know it has alot to do with your natural abilities but is there anything I can do to enhance those abilities while I'm preparing? I leave Sept. 8 for PISC. If there are any snipers on here plz help. Any other tips are welcome, too.

Watson :confused:

"Once a man has walked through fire and survived, little else can burn." - Anonymous

22DevilPup87
05-13-03, 11:37 AM
While I'm not a Marine so I'm certainly not qualified to answer your question, I don't understand it. What's PISC and what natural abilities are you referring to?

Best of luck,
Jess

Barrio_rat
05-13-03, 11:44 AM
First to Sylntsipa... You should worry more about Boot Camp then your MOS school before working on what you need to do to become a sniper. Perhaps your question would be best put in this manner... "Provided I graduate from Boot Camp and become a Marine and after I have completed my basic schools for my MOS, what would you recommend I do to become a sniper?" Do ya see a difference there? And if ya don't, check out the poolee hall and the mentor areas of this site - most, if not all, questions are answered there.

(Damn I miss Bones!)

For 22DevilPup86... PISC, you should know it by now. Parris Island, South Carolina.

thedrifter
05-13-03, 11:56 AM
Thanks Barrio_rat.....for stepping up for Bones.....

We all miss Bones..He is making me do more work..LOL.....Wait till he gets back.....He will be on firewatch for a week......and I'm still in a good mood.....LOL

22DevilPup87 "shakes head":no:

Now drop and give me 20......LOL.....

Semper,

Roger

Sylntsnipa
05-13-03, 11:59 AM
Ok thanks alot for the info. I understand that it takes alot BUT I WILL make through all of the requsites to become a sniper. So I may see you some time.

Sylntsnipa
05-13-03, 12:00 PM
Oh and as for the natual abilities I mean things like how well you can control your jitteriness and how perceptive you are.

Twosox
05-13-03, 12:35 PM
Ah, the follies of youth. SyIntsnipa, listen to Barrio_rat. You have a lot to learn, not only about the Corps, but about yourself. I'm not trying to discourage you from your goals, keep them is sight. But take it one step at a time. Good Luck.

yellowwing
05-13-03, 12:41 PM
I would reccommend being in top physical shape. If you can score 300 on the PFT you have a great head start. That in itself would show you are determined to be the best. Earn the Eagle Globe and Anchor first of all.

Scout/snipers must be of extraodrinary character. Stay out of trouble this summer! Make sure you are an expert at attention to detail.

If you are eventually nominated to Scout/sniper school, you will no doubt be deeply investigated for secret clearances. They will ask plenty of people about your character and moral conduct. Then they will ask those people for names of other people that know you.

Sylntsnipa
05-13-03, 12:45 PM
Ok thanks alot guys. I'll see you all someday. Hopefully in peace but ya know how it is.

Watson

22DevilPup87
05-13-03, 08:16 PM
Drifter: I gave you your 20 today, along with 80 others! ;)

I've never seen Parris Island referred to as PISC. I've seen MCRD-PI ... I guess I'm just that oblivious. Thanks for continueing to teach me something new all the time, ya'll.

PMBurroughs
05-14-03, 06:55 AM
Hay Poolee,
Being a sniper comes from the a special breed greater than Marines. I think it's great you have a goal in mind but consider this. A sniper is a person who loves his brother and country so much he is willing to sacrifice his heart and soul and life-time of heart-ache and depression.
They carry a burden upon their shoulders greater than that of the greek god "Atlas". Granted, they stand and usually alone but never so tall as that their conscious will let them. If this is the kind of person you are, than I wish you luck. In my mind your a man of days gone by. The Smedley Butler's, Archibald Henderson's, and Dan Daily who gave all for an idea. The road you wish to travel will be less traveled. It's dark, lonely and unknown. If you heart is bright enough to guide you then Kudos!

Phillip Burroughs

Patrick8605
05-14-03, 08:23 AM
wow, that was really well said.

Sylntsnipa
05-14-03, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the encouragement. Everyone has really enforced my decision to become a sniper. I recently lost someone so if you could pray or do whatever you do thanks. Her name is Elizabeth.

Watson

wrbones
05-16-03, 12:41 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=854&highlight=sniper

BUT ya need to get up to speed on other things first. Read everything you can find in the POOL-ee Hall and Marine Mentor forums first. Ya gotta get the basics right before ya go to the advanced work. If ya don't get the basics right, sniper school ain't gonna happen.

You can learn more about the Marine Corps right here on this site than most any place ya can go to. If it ain't posted, someone knows the answer, and that's a fact!

Watson, ya went fer that question from a little different direction than most do or I wouldn't have bothered bein' nice about it! ;) The link posted above will get ya an idea of what's goin' on with sniper school. Put 'sniper' in the site search engine and look around. Lots of reference to snipers and their effect on people as well as some more info on training.

Remember. If ya don't get the basics right, sniper school is out. You an get a helluvan education on this site. Read and heed. You'll be glad ya did. We have most of our POOL-ees come back as PFCs outta boot!!! They paid attention and learned! I figure you might, too, mebbe.

usmcsgt65
05-17-03, 06:06 PM
Short answer is acceptance into the school, and passing the course work. Special skill most need - patience.

leroy8541
05-18-03, 10:14 AM
First of all my young friend don't worry about forcing the issue of Being a sniper. Like usmcsgt65 said patience is a virtue for snipers. You can't just be a sniper. Snipers are chosen from the ranks of the infantry by other snipers they aren't even looked at until certain qualifications are met this could take a few years. you have to be screened for acceptance into a STA plt. Most of the Marines in the Sta plt aren't Snipers they are mules!! More or less. Skill is only 10% of being a sniper the rest is in the heart. Sniper school itself has one of the highest rates of failures of any school in the military. We started with 40 and ended with 8. The most gifted and skilled weren't necesarily the ones who graduated patience and heart will win this battle