PDA

View Full Version : Combat Lifesaver Course Required?

smiggs
07-24-08, 01:48 AM
I have been seeing some articles about how Marines that are currently or already deployed are undergoing the Combat Lifesaver Course and would like to know if this course is now integrated as part of boot camp? I believe it includes training on advanced (as opposed to basic) life saving procedures such as treating hemorrhages or applying IVs.

Is this something that recruits go through during bootcamp as a requirement? Can anyone share their experience and give the rest of us some tips (I wouldn't want my partner to feel like a pin cushion when it comes to applying IVs)?

Thanks!

Achped
07-24-08, 04:13 AM
They give you first aid stuff at boot camp, but my unit deploys in a few months and only 1 out of 10 Marines I would say has a combat lifesaver course under his belt.

Brewer0311
07-24-08, 06:13 AM
Just first aid in boot. Before we deployed our unit went through combat lifesaver and an advanced course. About one per fire team was a combat lifesaver and one per squad did the advanced.

UsmcMotorT
07-25-08, 09:20 AM
CLS is while in the fleet.

I believe you have to update your CLS cert every 2 years. I had my initial CLS course in 06 and updated it again in 08.

joecoul89
07-25-08, 10:38 AM
So second question, How does CLS work while in reserves?

Brewer0311
07-25-08, 12:06 PM
So second question, How does CLS work while in reserves?

You would more than likely get the training during your work up. I'm not a reservist so I can't tell you for sure though.

Petz
07-25-08, 12:14 PM
I have been seeing some articles about how Marines that are currently or already deployed are undergoing the Combat Lifesaver Course and would like to know if this course is now integrated as part of boot camp? I believe it includes training on advanced (as opposed to basic) life saving procedures such as treating hemorrhages or applying IVs.

Is this something that recruits go through during bootcamp as a requirement? Can anyone share their experience and give the rest of us some tips (I wouldn't want my partner to feel like a pin cushion when it comes to applying IVs)?

Thanks!

Marines don't carry IV's so we don't learn to use them... we learn only what we have in our IFAKs can treat.... that sounded odd the way I wrote it.

Brewer0311
07-25-08, 04:06 PM
Marines don't carry IV's so we don't learn to use them... we learn only what we have in our IFAKs can treat.... that sounded odd the way I wrote it.

We don't carry them but we learn to use them in the combat lifesaver course, SSgt. At least our Corpsman taught us how to on each other.

Zulu 36
07-25-08, 07:27 PM
IVs aren't hard to learn to do. The trick is getting and staying proficient enough to do them under crappy conditions. Just starting an IV in poor light on a shocky or pulseless patient is tough, but add no light and enemy fire and things really get challenging. Essentially, if you can't see where the catheter is going on those patients, success is low. I worked with a couple of paramedics who were magicians with an IV needle, but even they had their limitations sometimes.

Still, just knowing how to rig the IV set while the corpsman does the stick is a big help in speeding things up. In the civilian EMS biz, basic EMTs usually did just that while the paramedics did the advanced work.

There are new IV systems coming out called intraosseous systems where an IV "needle" is actually drilled into a bone (often the sternum or the tibia in the lower leg) and IV solutions and medication administered that way.

The "old" way is simple, requiring nothing more than the catheter/tubing kit and a medic with the skills. The intraosseous method requires a special insertion tool, similar to a small cordless drill (power method) or a small ratchet hand drill (manual method), and special needles. But, the intraosseous method can be done in the dark by a reasonably knowledgeable user, whether the patient is in shock or not.

At this point, I don't see intraosseous systems taking over the IV administration market 100%, although they do have their strong points. Marines should see intraosseous systems become more and more common in the field to make life a little easier on the corpsmen and, hopefully, make life more possible for wounded people.

outlaw3179
07-26-08, 08:36 AM

I made 2 of my Marines always carry an IV on patrol in Iraq. Rotated throughout the squad. They knew how to use them. Its not that hard.

Brewer0311
07-26-08, 09:27 AM
I made 2 of my Marines always carry an IV on patrol in Iraq. Rotated throughout the squad. They knew how to use them. Its not that hard.

Very good idea too. I'm sure when the **** hits the fan on a regular basis that wasn't uncommon at all.

Being in the Infantry you need more than just your Doc to know how to do it. God forbid something happen to him and you've got 12 Marines standing there not knowing what the hell to do. "Call in a 9 line to get Doc out of here" In the process he bleeds out. I'm sure stuff is a little different on the FOB :D. No reason to need to learn to us an IV if your going to be less than a quarter of a mile from a medical facility at all times.

Petz
07-27-08, 12:49 PM
We don't carry them but we learn to use them in the combat lifesaver course, SSgt. At least our Corpsman taught us how to on each other.

well then my corpsman sucked.... I've been told repeatedly that they won't teach us how to put in an IV because we won't be carrying it.

I suppose it all depends on the class you take and the unit you are with.

I retract my previous post.

Covey_Rider
07-27-08, 05:42 PM
How many Marines in each unit that are CLS qualified really depends on the unit you are with. 95% of the Marines in my platoon are CLS qualified and know who to treat all sorts of different things. We also learned how to give IV's etc...we went through a week long course and did practical application on anything and everything we could.

Petz
07-27-08, 10:10 PM
I'm going to look into that.

Is this something that has emerged in the last 2-3 years?

Covey_Rider
07-28-08, 12:37 AM
No idea if this is anything new or not. But every CLS course that I've seen includes practical application of giving IV's.