PDA

View Full Version : For All who suck at running

LuDog
07-23-08, 06:01 PM
Heres a program that i found and ive been using for a few weeks and it has helped me Alot!. I hope it helps others here who have trouble running.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

benw2200
07-23-08, 08:25 PM
The best piece of general advice I have to give is one that I found out from experience:

Run...REGULARLY. A month ago, I ran a 10:40 mile and a half. Nothing to brag about, but it works for me. My shipdate got moved so I slacked on the running.. so at the most recent pool fuction a month later, I ran a 13:10. Granted, I was dehydrated and had about 4 hours of sleep the night before, but that's my own damn fault and that's no ****ing excuse for that kind of time.

So even if it's just a mile or so, try not to go more than 3 days without running, even if it's a slow-paced easy day. This definitely applies to ME as much as everyone.

LuDog
07-23-08, 08:37 PM
Yeah i try to run Every other morning about 2 miles

LeDave
07-23-08, 08:45 PM
lol man i suck at running really bad, today during PT today, we were running back to the recruit station becuase PT was done, i collapsed after running 3/4th of a half mile (the time it takes to get back to the station from the park). and one of the poolies had to carry me back while all the cars was passing by staring, but it doesn't matter lol, but a little embarassing but oh well. a lot of the poolies there were telling me to get up, get up, i can make it, i can do it and stuff. PT was a lot better than i thought it'd be but at the same time a lot harder than i thought due to the training they do

Hologram
07-24-08, 12:51 AM
Yeah, even in the first few runs if you're doing them regularly you should see a dramatic improvement.

I ran my very first 3 miles in 29 and some odd seconds, and no more than a week later, after running a total of 4 times, I shaved that time to 25:11. Still a bad time, but shaving a good 4 minutes off of a run that quickly is pretty notable. So once again, start running, and start running regularly. Why stop at a mile and a half? If you can beat the min. time for the IST (I believe 13:30), why not start pushing yourself until you get to 3 miles? And why even stop there?

SirRoundSound
07-24-08, 01:52 AM
I don't live near a track, and I'm terrible at estimating distances, so all of my attempts to run were always met with catastrophic failure, because I found that I was running until exhaustion and then stopping and walking home, not having any clue how far I've run or how far I should continue to run.

But I do live near an Elementary School, and I do know (from Gym Class way back when) that the entire perimeter of the school's baseball field is a quarter of a mile. So a few weeks ago, I started out by running around the entire field's quarter-of-a-mile perimeter, and then walking one side of the square-shaped perimeter, and then running, and alternating running and walking until I've traveled one mile. Of course my times were always abysmal, but being able to tell how far I've traveled and how much farther I need to push myself really helped me to go beyond my preconceived limits. Rather than running as fast and far as I could, I was able to set my goals and pace myself. I am now running a full mile every other day in about nine minutes, on average, and I continue to shave off minutes every week.

So if the problem is that you are running with no goals or regulation other than becoming exhausted and going home, then try to adapt distances you know and use them as goals to push and pace yourself accordingly.

gobuffs10
07-24-08, 02:07 AM
One of the girls I work with does cross country and when I asked her, she told me weight training on my legs and doing sprints will help a lot. Thought I'd throw that out there. I ****ing suck at running, horribly.

Phantom Blooper
07-24-08, 06:14 AM
Don't SUCK when you run.......BREATHE or you will HYPERVENTILATE!:evilgrin:

SgtQuattlebaumJ
07-24-08, 10:14 AM
For all those who are worried about their run times...

Once you get in, those 29 min and 25 mins run times will only carry you through to your SOI school. Once you get to the Fleet you'll be required to run at times close to 18 min for 3 mi. Any time more than that, you'll be looked at as being weak with lack of heart. You dont want that. That was the case for me. For Dep training, boot camp, and ITB I was running sub 25 and 27. Soon as I got to the Fleet in 3/2, all that came to a halt. I found myself being forced to run everyday and even weekends. The point is, try if can, to change up your running routine. Do interval runs where you run a steady pace for a while, pick an object at a distance of 1-200 meters ahead, SPRINT to it, slow down once you reach it and do it all over again. Since I've been doing this, my run time for 3 mi shaved down to 19- 20 min, with more room for improvement. Also try running through parks, trails, high tension powerline trails, just to have scenery to concentrate on rather than focusing on it sucks to be running....

Rains
07-24-08, 12:54 PM
I have a hard tiem keeping myself motivated to run every other day as I should. My average 1 Mile time is 9 minutes and 30 seconds though.

mdlangley
07-24-08, 02:28 PM
Also try running through parks, trails, high tension powerline trails, just to have scenery to concentrate on rather than focusing on it sucks to be running....

Some great advice for new runners. I HATE running on a track. I will be thinking about something and forget how many times I've been around and then I get aggravated...it just doesn't work for me.

SirRoundSound, you might try driving to the school you live by to see how far it is and run there and back to your house. Or if you really don't know if you can stay motivated enough to run all the way there and back, you can have someone drive you a certain mileage away from your home and just drop you off. Just make sure they know to come looking for you if you don't show up in a reasonable amount of time. And take lots of water too. Hydration bladders at Wal-Mart are reasonably priced and probably weigh about 7 pounds when full of water. I use one just so I don't have to carry a bottle when I run and maybe so it will help me get used to a pack. It also can help you remember to drink water (if that is a problem for some people) because the more you drink the less weight is on your back. Just some thoughts.

--Michael

Rains
07-24-08, 02:53 PM
Ive been told that I should drink water dureing my jog, but I have also been told not to do this. So I just dont drink water dureing the jog, I drink it before and after. Should I be drinking it dureing the run?

LuDog
07-24-08, 03:04 PM
Nah, i drink a little then do my run then i drink alot after, never during

Rains
07-24-08, 03:14 PM
Ok.
Good, I dont liek the idea of drinking water while running.:evilgrin:

Hologram
07-25-08, 12:02 AM
Also keep in mind that the first mile is the hardest. After that your body gets into a kind of rhythm and you just need to make sure that keep breathing. As for estimating distances, I just used the ruler tool on Google Earth to figure out a path to the gym that would take 3 miles. That way, I run to the gym, do the rest of my PFT, then begin endurance training my pull ups and crunches with the fun little weight machines they have there and I'll do a few sets of back extensions.

SgtQuattlebaumJ
07-25-08, 06:55 AM
Some great advice for new runners. I HATE running on a track. I will be thinking about something and forget how many times I've been around and then I get aggravated...it just doesn't work for me.

SirRoundSound, you might try driving to the school you live by to see how far it is and run there and back to your house. Or if you really don't know if you can stay motivated enough to run all the way there and back, you can have someone drive you a certain mileage away from your home and just drop you off. Just make sure they know to come looking for you if you don't show up in a reasonable amount of time. And take lots of water too. Hydration bladders at Wal-Mart are reasonably priced and probably weigh about 7 pounds when full of water. I use one just so I don't have to carry a bottle when I run and maybe so it will help me get used to a pack. It also can help you remember to drink water (if that is a problem for some people) because the more you drink the less weight is on your back. Just some thoughts.

--Michael
OK, thats exactly what I was trying to inferr. Concentrating on your surroundings, instead of just, running from point A to point Z, you may forget exactly how long you've been runnning, and thats what you want. I've been in combat twice, and i can tell you there has been moments when our plt had to get to our next objective in a short amount of time with all of our gear which wasnt 2-3 miles away. We're talking 7-8 miles! Just so we can capture a High Value Target before he jumped camp. I shouldn't have to tell you how we there... (uhh-- Run) Point is, you have to find whatever works for you and literally run with it..:evilgrin:

coltie52
07-25-08, 04:06 PM
Heres a program that i found and ive been using for a few weeks and it has helped me Alot!. I hope it helps others here who have trouble running.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Thank you for this.
I will try it out over the next few days or weeks and see out it works out.

LuDog
07-25-08, 05:35 PM
no problem it works great for me, ive been running every day except sundays

benw2200
07-26-08, 08:53 AM
For everyone who doesn't have a track, doesn't like running on a track, and/or isn't good at estimating distances:

http://www.walkjogrun.net/

Type in your zip code, find your house or running area on the map, and click create route. It measures distances for you, so you can find out exactly how many miles a certain distance is.. helped me a lot in my running.

ForeverChanged
07-26-08, 01:03 PM
Thanks for that site benw2200, that sounds neat I'll have to give it a try.

Another trick for running, is no matter how tired and worn down you get during your run, DON'T STOP!!! Even if you are only picking your feet up and down fast as if running in place, once you stop, you have given up and it's very hard to continue from there.

LuDog
07-26-08, 02:24 PM
good info :thumbup:

mdlangley
07-26-08, 09:48 PM
...no matter how tired and worn down you get during your run, DON'T STOP!!! Even if you are only picking your feet up and down fast as if running in place, once you stop, you have given up and it's very hard to continue from there.

Amen to that Brother!

benw2200
07-27-08, 09:15 AM
no matter how tired and worn down you get during your run, DON'T STOP!!! Even if you are only picking your feet up and down fast as if running in place, once you stop, you have given up and it's very hard to continue from there.

Very true. Even if it's a slow, slow pace, keep the "jogging" motion- if you break down and have to start walking, it screws up your pace, your breathing, and everything. Also, I've found a lot of people (and I do this myself as well) start out way too fast, and finish slow and exhausted. Start out slow and controlled to get yourself warmed up, and pick up the pace every lap or every few minutes if you're not doing laps. Usually the best 1.5/3 mile runners are not the ones that dash off the starting line, but the ones that pick a good pace and stick with it.