PDA

View Full Version : Remember The 50's?

firstsgtmike
05-13-03, 07:00 AM
I borrowed this with thanks, and pass it on with love.
-----------------------------------------------
Were you a kid in the Thirties, Forties or Fifties or so ? Everybody makes fun of our childhood! Comedians joke. Grandkids snicker. Twenty-something's shudder and say "Eeeew!" But was our childhood really all that bad? Judge for yourself:

In 1953 The US population was less than 150 million... Yet you knew more people then, and knew them better... And that was good.

The average annual salary was under $3,000...Yet our parents could put some of it away for a rainy day and still live a decent life... And that was good.

A loaf of bread cost about 15 cents... But it was safe for a five-year-old to skate to the store and buy one... And that was good.

Prime-Time meant I Love Lucy, Ozzie and Harriet, Gunsmoke and Lassie... So nobody ever heard of ratings or filters... And that was good.

We didn't have air-conditioning... So the windows stayed up and half a dozen mothers ran outside when you fell off your bike... And that was good.

Your teacher was either Miss Matthews or Mrs. Logan or Mr. Adkins... But not Ms Becky or Mr.Dan... And that was good.

You loved to climb into a fresh bed... Because sheets were dried on the clothesline... And that was good.

People generally lived in the same hometown with their relatives... So "child care" meant grandparents or aunts and uncles... And that was good.

Parents were respected and their rules were law.... Children did not talk back..... and that was good.

Your Dad knew how to adjust everybody's carburetor... And the Dad next door knew how to adjust all the TV knobs... And that was very good.

Your grandma grew snap beans in the back yard...And chickens behind the garage... And that was definitely good.

And just when you were about to do something really bad... Chances were you'd run into your Dad's high school coach... Or the nosy old lady from up the street... Or your little sister's piano teacher... Or somebody from Church... ALL of whom knew your parents' phone number...And YOUR first name... And even THAT was good! ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

REMEMBER....

Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, Laurel &Hardy, Abbott &Costello, Sky King, Little Lulu comics, Brenda Starr, Howdy Doody and The Peanut Gallery, The Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows, Nellie Belle, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk as well as the sound of a reel mower on Saturday morning, and summers filled with bike rides, playing in cowboy land, playing hide and seek and kick-the-can and Simon Says, baseball games, amateur shows at the local theater before the Saturday matinee, bowling and visits to the pool...and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar, and wax lips and bubblegum cigars......

REMEMBER?

Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, Yeah, I remember that! And was it really that long ago?

Osotogary
05-13-03, 07:21 AM
I remember Hopalong Cassidy Soap! It was soap with a decal of Hopalong Cassidy on it. I remember trying to convince my Dad that I couldn't use the soap anymore because the decal had rubbed off! Well you all can guess who won that discussion.
Good Morning to all!
Gary

firstsgtmike
05-13-03, 08:45 AM
When I think about it, I remember radio programs;

Gangbusters, Baby Snooks, Inner Sanctum, , Straight Arrow, Captain Midnight, The Fat Man, Mr. Keene Tracer of Lost Persons, Uncle Don, The F.B.I., and Let's Pretend.

Television was primarily boxing, wrestling and roller derby. Then came Milton Berle, Texaco Theater, Lucille Ball, Perry Como, Red Skelton, Hallmark Presents, The Twilight Zone, G.E. Presents, Captain Video, The Mickey Mouse Club, and later, Ed Sullivan.

TV was live, not on tape. I remember a show called the Heartline. People would come on, tell a sob story and viewers would call in with donations, (not necessarily money- sometimes a job, a wheelchair, furniture, clothes, etc. etc. etc.)

A woman was on, her husband was serving time in jail and she needed all kinds of support. She had a five year old daughter with her. The M.C. asked the daughter, "And I'll bet you would like a Barby Doll?" The girl said No, she wanted a bed for her very own. "Oh, and where do you sleep now?"

"I usually sleep with mommy, except on weekends when Uncle Charlie comes over, and then I sleep in the bathtub."

Cut to commercials, and after a looooong series of commercials the show resumed, the previous questions and answers (and the little girl) were ignored, the mother was promised assistance from the Heartline, and the next sob-story was introduced.

Those were the days, my friend, I wished they'd never end .....

I don't think the replacements were worth the price we paid for them.

But on the other hand, I guess historically, anyone looking back fifty years would say the same thing about their childhood.

But when I think of the "music", I think of the children of the 80's, hearing a ten car collision on the freeway and the onrush of emergency vehicles, and one says to the other, "Listen dear, they're playing our song".

Art Petersn
05-13-03, 12:46 PM
firstsgtmike

Ther's not to many on this site that are our age.

firstsgtmike
05-13-03, 04:03 PM
Art,

I'm not really my age either.

I just can't figure out how I keep on remembering this stuff.

I thought reincarnation meant you started with a blank page.

Sure wish I could remember back to the time when I was a General in the Roman Army or wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Barrio_rat
05-13-03, 06:14 PM
Can you remember your pet giant 3 toed sloth or how mad you got when Jesus picked Judas over you?

Pfwahahahahahahahahahaha

greensideout
05-13-03, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Barrio_rat

Pfwahahahahahahahahahaha

Yep, that's an example of how humor of the 40's or 50's became something other then humor---more at crass!

The 40's and 50's were a wonderful time to grow up. No, we didn't have much at all but we didn't know it. That was because no one had much more then the basics of subsistance but we all seemed happy with what we had and were willing to share with others.

Life seemed a lot more friendly then. Greetings with smiles, folks helping others as often as they could.

I could go on but the people here that lived it already know what I'm talking about.

Those of you that didn't live it will probally never understand.

NEWB
05-14-03, 02:16 AM
Thanks Top,
I am that old and it feels good every now and then to sit and remember all the OLD times.

firstsgtmike
05-14-03, 04:40 AM
Barrio_rat,

I remember being there at the Last Supper, when He said, "Give the check to Judas, he just got paid."

I was there, after the reporters left to write up the quote" Let ye who is without sin cast the first stone."

I remember the little old woman who pushed her way through the crowd, picked up a rock no one believed she could carry, dropped it, and splattered the head of the kneeling adulturess.

I heard His words, though they were never officially recorded.
"You know ma, sometimes you REALLY **** Me off."
--------------

I've been a fly on the wall, an itch in the crotch, and Cleopatra's pet lap dog. The stories I could tell would change everyone's perception of history.

No one pays attention, no one listens.

I tried to tell them. It was an amateur who built the Ark, and professionals who built the Titanic. Nobody listened, and look what happened.

Youngsters are so preoccupied with the business of coming and going that they have no time for mental openness, for an acceptance and an awareness of past influences.

Why are WE exempt from recycling?

(Sometimes I get too heavy, even for myself.)

When I was thirteen, I had a gun pressed against my head, and the trigger pulled. EVERY day since then has been a blessing.

I am also aware that some people would have preferred that the round under the hammer was not a dud. But I have outlived most of them.

On the other hand, there are also four fingers and a thumb. Perhaps that's why the most preferred attorney has only one hand.

He can never say that you have a fantastic case, and he will win it for you, but on the other hand..........

As an outsider looking in, I find the human race to be most humerous.

But then again, the fifty's were a very special time. And for those who missed it; "Sorry bout that."

(The tongue in my cheek is demanding hazardous duty pay.)

Semper Fi!

Mike Farrell
Cagayan de Oro
Philippines

Barrio_rat
05-14-03, 11:48 AM
In all seriousness here... I do appreciate those who have grown up in that generation. My father was of that generation and, unlike many teens, I knew my father knew stuff - so I listened. He also raised me on Patsy Cline and Hank Sr. - as well as Charlie "the Bird" Parker, and I still listen to 'em. I was fortunate enough to know one of my great grandfathers. At the age of 10 I recorded him telling the stories of his youth and the stories of his father (who had been somewhat of a pioneer and rode with Buffalo Bill and the like). I still have the tape and plan to share it with my children when they are old enough/mature enough to appreciate the weath in that little piece of plastic.

My father had a pair of Duces... One Coupe and one Roadster. He sold the roadster for about 100 bucks because it was sitting on blocks in his parents front yard.. His coupe.. had a 250 flathead bored and stroked to a 305 with lakers. All steel and even had the original crank handle - and extra radiator caps (I still have two of them). He put ribs in the front fenders to keep the paint from cracking as the engine shook his car. It pulled low 12's 1/4 mile in the late 50's. It had hand rubbed jet black laquer but he sand blasted it (for 10 bucks) as it started to get hair line cracks in it. He sold it when he married my mom.

As for what I can remember.... LOL

I grew up riding in the back of Chevy Corvair Spider. I remember Nixon resigning and Vietnam ending (though I didn't really understand what it was). I remember hippies. I saw Smokey and the Bandit (the only movie my father ever paid to see twice) and Star Wars in the theater - and dad complained because it costs nearly 20 bucks for the whole family (with child discount) to get tickets, popcorn and soda. I remember Disco and I'm glad it's dead. I remember when Elvis died. I remember when rock made its comeback, only to see it die again. I remember when songs like El Paso City, Family Tradition and He Stopped Loving Her Today were in the top 20. I remember when Big Balls was a single and aired on the radio - once! I remember when KISS wore makeup - the first time. When I was very young, we had a black and white TV and 5 channels - woe be it for any child when the president was on! I remember getting a color TV. I remember when the Super Bowl was a big event with few commercials. I remember Roger Staubach, Drew Person, Bob Lilly, Too Tall Jones, Tony Dorset, and two Super Bowls against the Pitsburg Steelers that the Cowboys shoulda won! I remember Monday Night Football with Dandy Don Meredith and Howard Cosell. I remember getting a Pong video game. I remember getting a TV with remote control! (before that, I was the remote!) I remember getting an Atari video game. I remember water beds. I remember when Mt. St. Hellens blew her top (we lived about 100 miles from it). I remember when President Reagan was shot. I remember the threat of communism. I remember the hostage crisis in Iran and the Bombing of the Marine Barracks in Beirut. I remember the first Space Shuttle flight and when the Challenger exploded. I remember when it was the Senate vs. LtCol Ollie North. I remember the Coup attempt in the Philippines, Dec 1989. I remember mid - August 1990 when my leave was cancelled because some dork invaded Kuwait. I remember seeing the "homecoming" parade for our troops after Desert Storm - while I was still in the Persian Gulf.

Much of this is recently history to many of you - but remember, for some on this site it's only in the history books. My oldest kid (who is now 11) was born after all of this happened. I've spoken with co-workers who say they were just children when the we went to the Middle East for Operation Desert Shield/Storm. So it's all perspective. I liked the times I grew up in. They WERE more simple than today. Far less pressure on kids. We would close off the street block and sled down it in the winter. We could play until dark. I could ride my bike across town to a friends house without any worries - now I'm not even sure I want my kid to ride her bike to school, less than 2 miles away. I almost hate to see what my childrens children will have to deal with!

I think, to some degree, each generation remembers the their childhood and times when they grew up as being more simple and less of a rat race. Maybe we all should. Were the times really better? In some ways, yes. Some of the things we see has being convenient have just helped to make us more lazy... I can just see my childrens children telling their children "... when I was your age we had it rough.. we actually had to drive to school - IN THE WINTER with the heater on! Not so easy as you have it today!..."

LOL

ivalis
05-14-03, 06:55 PM
Ah, the 50s.

Joe McCarthy

Joe Stalin

Poll Taxes

Polio

Pollution

Jim Crow Laws

Ozzie & Harriet, The Cleavers, remember it was fiction.

firstsgtmike
05-14-03, 07:56 PM
Some folks will see a glass as being half empty, others will see it as being half full.

I choose NOT to participate in their argument, because, after all is said and done, the rest of the bottle is MINE.

Osotogary
05-14-03, 08:05 PM
I remember the Johnny Pesky baseball glove that I used for the longest time. It was such an old glove when I found it that you could fold it up an put it in your pocket. It had absolutely minimal padding. The coach used to say,"If the ball stings your hand, you don't have any reason to drop it."
I remember being forced to listen to Lawrence Welk by my parents, who else?
The Texaco Theatre with Bob Hope and Lash LaRue, The Davy Crockett Fan Club.
I remember watching all the professional fights on television and wanting to become to become the first professional boxing champion to wear glasses. My thinking that it was against the law to hit someone in the face if he or she was wearing glasses. Why not wear glasses inside the squared circle? It sounded good but I'm glad I snapped out of it before I wound up picking broken glass out of my face.
The fifties were filled with creativity and imagination and resourcefulness. It was a good time but it had its pain.
Gary

mrbsox
05-14-03, 08:45 PM
Ahhhhh.... the fabulous fifties :D

Rolling over in my crib to sh!t, learning to walk.... lol

I remember Red Skelton, Highway Patrol, Ed Sullivan, The Real McCoys, ..... black and white TV. Danm I'm old too :D

Pets, friends, and using your imagination to have fun. Those were the days, for sure. (the 60's that is)

Terry