PDA

View Full Version : Amvets ship support to troops in war zones

thedrifter
07-22-08, 07:54 AM
Amvets ship support to troops in war zones
Monday, Jul 21, 2008

On a regular basis, members of Amvets Post 13 are "filling up to overflowing" troop boxes to ship to U.S. forces in war zones.

"Our mission is to help veterans and the troops," Daniel Koob, post commander said. "Every month at least three parcels are sent to various individual troops. We send various items such as toothbrushes, powder, Tums, aspirins, batteries, beef jerky, eye drops and food items. Things that they cannot get where they are."

The note attached to the packages reads, "On behalf of the Amvets Post 13 in Cleveland, we are grateful for your service to our country. This package is a way to say thank you."

Recently, the Amvets Post received e-mail from Jason Anders, who is second vice commander for the state Amvets. A Marine Unit in Iraq had lost all their personal gear to a fire. Fourteen Marines' "berthing area (huts made of wood)" burned. "The only things left standing are the COC, the chow hall (another wood hut) and the hut where the computers are. All the Marines' gear, all of their personal stuff, gone!"

"Anders sent the note to us, because he knew we sent boxes regularly," Koob explained. Koob noted Dollar General on North Lee Highway has helped them fill boxes to send to the Marines. The Knights of Columbus has also helped the post fill boxes.

Since these Marines had lost all of their personal effects, Koob said they were including additional items to the boxes. "We included writing paper, sewing kits, stamps, towels and tried to get them the basics," Koob said. Individuals and groups desiring to help fill the boxes are invited to do so.

"The Amvet Post stays active and involved in the community. We are always willing to help the veterans and troops from the area.

"Everyone we send to is from our connected local area," Koob said. "We get addressees from residents and send packages to the troops."

The parcels are sent only to troops in war zones, Koob said. He noted the post also works with other veterans groups to help troops and veterans.

"We also give out American flags to various businesses and individuals throughout the community," Koob said. "When I see a tattered flag, I give a replacement. I keep one with me."

Koob said the post also helps "veterans when help is needed. We visit disabled veterans who are in the veteran's hospitals. Amvet members also visit individual Amvet members who are sick in the hospital."

The post also participates in various memorial and veterans ceremonies with other veterans groups in the community.

Koob also has the assistance of the Sons of Amvets, individuals who have a father or grandfather who served in the military, and the Ladies Auxiliary, individuals who had husbands or fathers in the military. "They do a lot for our post." Koob noted, "All veterans are welcome to visit and join our post."

Ellie